Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Study Break Question

Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
edited March 2016 in General 1650 karma
Hey Everyone,

What is the usual effect of taking a brief gap in studying? I've been planning since mid-December to take the June LSAT, re-did the curriculum and over the span of 15 PTs I brought my average from low 160s to 166-168 with a few low 170s mixed in. I have a job and I'm finishing undergrad in May, so work is piling on right now.

Really want to avoid the burnout that comes trying to take on too much all at once.

My last 2 PTs have dipped to 165, 165, my lowest in like 8 or so PTs. I'm entering the mid-high 50s in PTs so I know it's starting to become crunch time.

My plan is to take the next week off from LSAT and finish up my papers/classwork obligations so I can just hand those in and get back to full LSAT dedication. Will this week gap be detrimental to my progress or have people found success with this before?

Thanks!

Comments

• StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
    821 karma
    Definitely take a break, burnout is real. Most people who have taken a short break found it really helpful. If this was a few weeks before test day things may be different, but with 2.5 months out I don't think your're risking much. Good luck!
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2016 2086 karma
    There are people to take an entire month off and report doing slightly better when they returned. Remember, the LSAT is a skills-based test. Taking a week or two off will not lead to a loss of the skills that you've learned. Truth be told, I get the feeling that even 10 years from now, I am going to inadvertently diagram (in my head) random things that people say - thanks, LSAT.

Take a week off, it'll likely help.
  • cmelman95cmelman95 Alum Member
    730 karma
    I had taken about 20 PTs when I took a 5 week break in Jan and Feb. My LR score actually got better, and my RC score dipped initially but became better than ever when I shook off the rust. So I agree with @MrSamIam that it's harder than you think to lose these skills. Just do some drills regularly to keep your brain in it.
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2016 1650 karma
    Thanks everyone! Appreciate the feedback and reassurance. It can be tough to step away from the LSAT grind but I feel like once I have my course work "house in order", I'll be able to give my full attention to studying and do better work overall.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    All respect for you to recognize that piling on Lsat prep on top of your immediate and demanding obligations could/would be counter-productive!
    If you were going to take a break to chill by the ocean and party all day and night - hmmmm - might have a different response - but make sure to take a mental break before getting back into
    @"Ron Swanson" said:
    the LSAT grind
    After mini-breaks that life demanded, I have found those breaks to be positive experiences as long as I didn't allow them to cause stress based on a stupidly set study schedule or an agenda of performance goals artificially placed on a planned test date.

Having unplanned distance from the LSAT can also provide a more global view and remove you from dwelling on the minutiae - a fresh set of eyes, a different perspective and enthusiasm/excitement to put your full attention to studying:)
    Go kick ass on finishing your UG and then focus on the future:)
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    Every time I took a major break, I broke a plateau. Sounds like you might be in a position to do the same.

TREAT. YO. SELF.

And very wise!!!