Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Test Lead Up

Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
in General 27822 karma
So, like everything else in my LSAT prep before coming to 7Sage, I led up to my test date completely wrong. Aside from simply being unprepared, I went into my second take in the midst of full flown burn out. For my first take, I woke up late and when I got to my testing center discovered there was a football game on the campus that day and all the parking was blocked off. I made it there on time, but throughout the entire test I was worried my car was going to get towed.

So this time, I’m putting a lot of thought into the lead up. Has anyone else developed a strategy for leading up to the test? Day of? A week out? A month out? What are some of y’all's plans?

Comments

• Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited April 2016 1650 karma
    I've also started thinking about lead up plans, here's a couple things off the top of my head:

Stick with only 2 PTs per week. I think it's important to maintain a healthy PT schedule and I believe that 2 is the perfect burn out prevention sweet spot as long as you space the PTs out properly.

Minimize drilling: I think I'll stop doing some drills and other times sections sometime in mid-late May. I've seen a lot of talk recently about how you won't necessarily be able to develop new skills over the last 2 weeks before the test..seems like a reasonable piece of advice. This is my 2nd take and I've been LSATing for a solid year (same for you right?). I think the important part of the last few weeks is maintaining confidence..something I didn't do last fall.

No Alcohol starting May 6: I graduate college on May 6, so I know I will be enjoying a few adult sodas that night. However, from that night until test day I won't have a single drop of alcohol. I've already been minimizing how much I drink anyway, but cold turkey is the answer. There's tons of scientific evidence about how alcohol dulls your critical/quick thinking ability and I want to be firing on all cylinders June 6th.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    edited April 2016 27822 karma
    Yeah @"Ron Swanson" I’m going on a year now as well, but on my third take unfortunately. And I definitely agree about alcohol. Even this far out, I’m controlling my diet pretty strictly. Breakfast and coffee at the same time every day, and nothing during what will be testing hours. I’m trying to conform my daily routine to what I will do on test day. I only allow myself to deviate from this when I’m feeling burnout and need to recharge. Even then though, everything in moderation.
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    I plan on getting a hotel as close to the testing center as possible. I'm also hoping to have my wife "travel" with me, so I'm not thrown off by not being with her as well as having a backup driver should anything happen to my car (yes, I plan to drive separately both to the hotel and to the testing center). Of course, if I were to get a flat tire or anything of the sort, I wonder if I would be too distracted to even take the test.

Two weeks out, I plan not to take any PTs but only to drill individual sections. LG sections are fun for me, so I have no problem doing those frequently. I'll probably do the other two section types every other day. I personally cannot see myself not drilling before the test. I'm one who is prone to make stupid mistakes, and taking a break before the test would not create some anxiety, it would also encourage my dumb habits to rear their ugly heads once again (not going through every AC on an LG MBT, for example).

I will definitely intend to take my final test 2.5 weeks out before the actual test day, so that if I mess up on that PT, I can take another one and still not be in a mere few days from my real sitting.
    27822 karma
    I’m going back to my home town and alma mater for the test where I took it both times before. I know I’ll have lots of room and quiet facilities, I know my way around campus, and I feel very comfortable and at ease there. That’s obviously the right place for me to test. I know it’s a minor thing, but I’m worried about my morning routine being thrown off. I’ve become very ritualistic with my mornings, and so it might be extreme, but I’m going to be carrying a ridiculous amount of my crap. Coffee mugs, kitchen appliances, whatever I need to go through my morning with my stuff without getting tripped up.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Yup...I am the paranoid type when it comes to getting to places on time. I used to wake up at 6 a.m. for a 10 a.m. class...

Here's the plan for September:

-Call testing center of choice and ask if they will be doing construction or hosting an event on the day of the test. Seems a tad overboard, but worth a 3 minute phone call.
    -Visit testing center a month before the test.
    -Visit one more time a week before the test, and ask about the parking situation - Where should I park? Is parking free? etc.
    -Night before test: Have everything that I'll need ready to go.
    -On test day: Wake up 2-3 hours early. Go through my check list of everything that I'll need.
    -Have a bite to eat.
    -Head out!
    4181 karma
    Calling ahead is genius! And visiting the center beforehand. I think I'll do both.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @danielznelson It helps a ton! I did that the first time I registered for the LSAT. The person who picked up my call was able to tell me what the testing center would be like (layout, spacing, seating, etc.). That put my mind at ease.
    4181 karma
    Wow that's huge. Thanks for the tip, @MrSamIam
    27822 karma
    I've had a class in my testing room before, and I really think that helps me. I know exactly what to expect and I'm very comfortable in the room.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    I think controlling and preparing your sleeping, eating schedule can be really important. It might be overkill, but it was just one more thing not left to chance.
  • StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
    821 karma
    Great advice here, good thread. The one thing I'd add is to take Uber/Lyft to your testing center. Well worth the $ in my opinion to avoid any added stress.
  • mimimimimimimimi Free Trial Member
    368 karma
    Do nothing the day before the test.
    27822 karma
    I'm really torn about the day before. I definitely see some wisdom in doing nothing, but the other side of me is just screaming "Study!"
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    So this time, I’m putting a lot of thought into the lead up. Has anyone else developed a strategy for leading up to the test? Day of? A week out? A month out? What are some of y’all's plans?
    Stay in a hotel super close to the testing center. If you can walk over, even better. You'll get some exercise and you won't have to even think about parking.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @StopLawying said:
    The one thing I'd add is to take Uber/Lyft to your testing center.
    And get there really early :D
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    @StopLawying said:
    Great advice here, good thread. The one thing I'd add is to take Uber/Lyft to your testing center. Well worth the $ in my opinion to avoid any added stress.
    How do you get an Uber without a phone? That was going to be my plan until I realized the phoneless situation was going to be a problem. I realize I could take the Uber in, but how to get back? Dilemmas, dilemmas.
    27822 karma
    Oh, good thinking @runiggyrun . Also, I just like the comfort and familiarity of my own car, my own music, etc. I know the campus and city of my test center really intimately, so it's not as much of an issue for me (I have looked up the fall football schedule already, so no surprises this time!); but I think everyone needs to visit their test center before test day to find out exactly where they're going and exactly where they will park before the day of or this really can be a major source of stress.