Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3rd LSAT

SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
in General 11542 karma
To my surprise, I see many people here have actually taken the LSAT thrice. This will be my case but it sort of made me nervous because I was told after the 2nd LSAT, schools begin to look disfavorably towards your application(?) thoughts?

Comments

• Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @montahar said:
    I was told after the 2nd LSAT, schools begin to look disfavorably towards your application(?) thoughts?
    You were told wrong, with the exception of Yale.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @"Nicole Hopkins" haha, good to know!! Were you one of those who took 3 LSATs?
  • notwilliamwallacenotwilliamwallace Alum Member
    1049 karma
    I don't think so. I also had this question and I've spoken to various law school admission reps about it (albeit, from Canada). If the schools say that they take your highest LSAT, they mean it. If two of your LSATs are in, say, 140s and you score a, say, 165 in the third LSAT, they will only care about your 165 and consider that score. Although, do keep in mind that some law schools average your LSATs. So, that may impact your application if your LSAT score has dropped when repeated.
    4344 karma
    @notwilliamwallace said:
    Although, do keep in mind that some law schools average your LSATs.
    The only school that even claims to do this in the US of which I'm aware is NYU—and we don't believe them when they make this claim ;)
  • 7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
    932 karma
    I took the LSAT 3 times. I suffered no negative impact, in fact I outperformed my numbers even considering my urm status. With that being said however, study so that you only have to take once. Take pts until you can comfortably hit your goal score regularly. Write a tremendous PS and DS. I'm taking once more in June just to see if I can score high enough where HYS may be be more than just a pipe dream. The amount of takes means very little as most schools only care about your highest score.
    4344 karma
    @montahar said:
    Were you one of those who took 3 LSATs?
    Yeppers!
    4344 karma
    @7sagelsatstudent180 said:
    The amount of takes means very little as most schools only care about your highest score.
    Most schools do not like to see a 4th take. 3 is fine. 4 can be an issue.
    11542 karma
    @"Nicole Hopkins" aren't the first three LSATs deleted from your record by the time you take the 4th? I say this because you can only take the LSAT 3x before waiting 2 years to do a 4th time, correct?
  • notwilliamwallacenotwilliamwallace Alum Member
    1049 karma
    @"Nicole Hopkins" said:
    The only school that even claims to do this in the US of which I'm aware is NYU
    Makes sense. Even in Canada, only one school (Uni of Calgary) averages the LSAT. Rest of them take your highest LSAT.
  • gkassatlygkassatly Free Trial Member
    6 karma
    Thrice for me :) I've asked several admission reps and I was also advised the same, law schools only consider your highest score. Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the LSAC website can't you choose exactly which LSAT score you want to send? I didn't think they had the ability to see a score you do not send them.
    4344 karma
    @montahar said:
    @"Nicole Hopkins" aren't the first three LSATs deleted from your record by the time you take the 4th? I say this because you can only take the LSAT 3x before waiting 2 years to do a 4th time, correct?
    No. LSATs take 5 years to expire/disappear.
    4344 karma
    @gkassatly said:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the LSAC website can't you choose exactly which LSAT score you want to send?
    Nope--all of them get sent automatically.
  • cmelman95cmelman95 Alum Member
    730 karma
    @"Nicole Hopkins" said:
    The only school that even claims to do this in the US of which I'm aware is NYU—and we don't believe them when they make this claim ;)
    Why not? Is there anecdotal evidence that they don't? I know it's in their interest not to.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    If anything, I would assume that most schools would see a third take + decent improvement as a sign that you are willing to push yourself to excel. If I were on the admissions board at any school, and I noticed that a student has 3 scores, the third of which is higher than the others, I would think, "Wow, this student must REALLY want to attend here." Then again, I am an optimist.
    11542 karma
    @MrSamIam love the way you think haha
  • katherine.tkatherine.t Alum Member
    edited May 2016 101 karma
    Does anybody know how the rolling admission process works with multiple LSATs?
    Say you send in an application with your June LSAT score and then you retake again in September. Will they take a second look?
    11542 karma
    @katherine.t from what I know, you have to let the office of admission know that you're taking the LSAT again and they'll put your application on hold until the Sept scores are released. If you mean will they take a second look after a rejection, I would assume the answer is no but every school is different.
    4344 karma
    @montahar said:
    you have to let the office of admission know that you're taking the LSAT again and they'll put your application on hold until the Sept scores are released.
    It depends on the school. Plenty will go ahead and review as soon as you submit.

These are good questions to ask at the Spivey AMA!
    11542 karma
    @"Nicole Hopkins" said:
    These are good questions to ask at the Spivey AMA!
    Facts. Here's the link to sign up: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/7549
    11542 karma
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @montahar Being optimistic has helped me study for this wonderful test :)
  • Admiral YummyAdmiral Yummy Member
    116 karma
    @notwilliamwallace - I was surprised to learn that UofC averages scores from multiple LSAT attempts, so I visited their site and it says, "If an applicant has written the LSAT more than once, the highest score will be used to group their file statistically, however all of their scores from the past 5 years, their average score, and the number of times they have written the LSAT will be taken into account when reviewing their application." What I want to know is how much do they care that you've taken it more than once? How much does it put you at a disadvantage? Is it a provision that they only enact when breaking ties between candidates? With all that being said, if UofC's the only school who's averaging these days, it sounds like UofA isn't doing it anymore, which is kind of interesting.
  • Admiral YummyAdmiral Yummy Member
    116 karma
    @MrSamIam, that's exactly what I was thinking: I'm banking on the "never give up, never surrender" strategy!