Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warming up before the test

LSAT AZTECLSAT AZTEC Alum Member
in General 33 karma
I always warm up before taking a PT and I know that it def helps, but I was wondering if any 7sagers advocate specific warm ups over other (e.g. doing a full game instead of a few LR questions). Also, do you guys generally check the answers to your warm up questions? I know that the answers to these questions are subjective to an extent, but I am just curious. I usually either do an RC passage (it's my weakest area) or 3/4 LR questions and then check the answers right after. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    I typically do a section of games and some LR. For me, LR transfers to RC better, so it usually warms me up for both. Sounds like you have a good system though if that's what's working for you. And I check answers. For some folks this may depend on confidence level. If you're going to be easily rattled by any mistakes, maybe best not to, especially before the real thing. I think it's always more constructive to view errors as opportunities to learn though, so for anyone able to detach emotionally from errors and scores (easier said than done!) I thinking checking answers is a good thing.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    I did a section of LR, a RC passage, and a couple of games in the hotel next to the testing center (where I stayed).
  • AddistotleAddistotle Member
    328 karma
    @"Nicole Hopkins" said:
    I did a section of LR, a RC passage, and a couple of games in the hotel next to the testing center (where I stayed).
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    I typically do a section of games and some LR.

How close to test time do you warm up?
    4344 karma
    @Addistotle said:
    How close to test time do you warm up?
    Woke up at 6, breakfast and things, warm up at 7, walk to nextdoor test center at 8:15.
    328 karma

@"Nicole Hopkins" said:
    Woke up at 6, breakfast and things, warm up at 7, walk to nextdoor test center at 8:15.
    Thank you!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    @Addistotle Yeah, 6. I’ve been pushing back to 5 in order to get in a run too, but ugh that’s early. It does help to clear my head and energize me though, so I guess it’s worth it.
  • LSAT AZTECLSAT AZTEC Alum Member
    33 karma
    Oh interesting, I have actually been doing my warmups like RIGHT BEFORE walking in to take my PT and i was planning on doing the same during the actual exam. Should I maybe push it back?
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    So since the June exam is a 1:30 kickoff we should target an 11:30/12 warm up?

(Test day neuroticism is kicking in)
    4344 karma
    @"Ron Swanson" said:
    So since the June exam is a 1:30 kickoff we should target an 11:30/12 warm up?
    Yeah just push it back to match your start time.
    4344 karma
    Keep in mind this was based on my staying in a hotel immediately adjacent to test center.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    The day before a PT, I'll do one or two random LGs, a single RC passage, and 5-10 LR questions drawn from the LR question types that I tend to have trouble with.
    edited May 2016 328 karma
    I have a solid plan including my food for that day, when I'll be up, the 15km bike ride to the test centre (which is nothing for me, I ride 200+km/wk and 38/day Monday to Friday, most of my PTs have happened after 38km of hard riding and and 8hr work day), meditation, changing, showering, walking from the gym to the testing room, warming up in the hallway, then signing up at 12:20.

This includes working in my 32oz of bulletproof coffee and around 250ml of water/hr to ensure I can make it until the break.

That whole pre-test process is about 4 hours
    4344 karma
    @Addistotle said:
    walking from the gym to the testing room, warming up in the hallway, then signing up at 12:20.
    FYI—you will likely not be able to do this. They seal off the whole area for the test. You will not be allowed to bring anything anywhere near the testing center. The whole place will be on lockdown.
    328 karma
    @"Nicole Hopkins" said:
    FYI—you will likely not be able to do this.
    Okay! I'll warm up before I walk over, thanks for the heads up
  • apublicdisplayapublicdisplay Alum Member
    696 karma
    @Addistotle said:
    PTs have happened after 38km of hard riding and and 8hr work day
    Just wondering, do you think you benefit much by taking PTs at the end of the day as opposed to closer to the time you would be taking the actual test?
    328 karma
    @apublicdisplay said:
    Just wondering, do you think you benefit much by taking PTs at the end of the day as opposed to closer to the time you would be taking the actual test?
    I take PTs at 1pm whenever I can, emulating the timing and feel of test day. The only benefit I get from taking them late in the day is doing a PT vs not doing a PT 5 days a week when I work 7am-4 (0550-1700 if you include commuting).