Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To work through the whole curriculum, or pick and choose?

taylor_michelletaylor_michelle Alum Member
in General 79 karma
I'm just wondering where people have seen the most success. I'm at about a 168 and looking to score 170+. I've been trying to get through the whole curriculum, but many parts of it seem way to broken down (with concepts I already understand), and i'm wondering if going through them is really a good use of my time. In general, do people pick and choose which parts of the curriculum they want to focus on, or just power through all of it? Thanks!!

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited June 2016 11542 karma
    Hey Unicorn,

You're a Unicorn. I figured you out. You don't need more than a starter pack since you already understand many concepts. :)
    11542 karma
    Btw, here at 7sage you're referred as a Unicorn if you score very high after very little prep. You have the capability to score a 180. Everyone does. You just have more of a probability.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    Quote from your previous post:)
    @chartiertaylor said:
    the most recent that i've done so far is 57, other than that I think i've done 7, 9,11, 19, and 20...or something like that anyways.
    You have shown that you are capable of mastering the test:)
    Something that you might want to keep in mind, this is a very small analytic pool to gauge your mastery. Have you entered the data into the Analytics to identify areas of weakness? What were your splits by section or Qtype?

You are in good company for people that have hit different plateaus within the low-mid-high 160's and above. Many of us have recognized that areas of fundamental knowledge were missing and have seen huge improvement by completing JY's core curriculum in the Starter package to ensure we have a strong foundation to build to the next level of scoring.

Whether it is innate ability or for others using previous prep materials to achieve your score range, I would highly recommend going through 7Sage curriculum as it is laid out. It can be very easy to gloss or skip over concepts that you "think" you understand until you meet a question that challenges your true understanding of the basic concepts and strategies. Being able to master and capitalize on points for the highest difficulty questions is the key to moving onto the next level of scoring - but it is a small margin when you are scoring in your range that could require patience and determination to achieve.

Finish the curriculum, thoroughly implement the BR process and start to take advantage of the amazing "skipping strategies" during PT phase that will help you reach a higher plateau.
    Welcome to 7Sage and all the best:)
    11542 karma
    Crap, there's no way to delete my weak-responded post lol...very well said @twssmith!
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    edited June 2016 3197 karma
    @chartiertaylor said:
    In general, do people pick and choose which parts of the curriculum they want to focus on, or just power through all of it? Thanks!!
    Hi @chartiertaylor

I remember your amazing scores so far through your first two week of prep so I know you're level of understanding is already very high and I am very excited for your final score potential!

The short answer is to power through it. Going through everything to ensure that you have an extreamly strong foundation, and would be 3-4 weeks of very well spent time.

To echo wast @twssmith I would still go through the full curriculum as you might pickup some helpful tid bits of information that will enable you to go even faster and efficiently through the test. Also a number of the later videos reference early ones, so that would simply save time by going in order vs jumping back to find an old video.

Now, do you have to go through every question explanation in every lesson? I think you will get a variety of answers about this and can be a bit tricky. The best thing to do would be to review everything, butiIf you're looking to save time I would skip any question that is not in the 11-25 range in the explanation (the question number is always in the left top corner), butagain JYs explanations, even on the "easy ones", can sometimes help in ways you didnt at first anticipate.

This is where using the analytics that twssmith mention could be helpful (I think you've only taken 2 tests at this point so I am not sure how much information it would give you that would be valuable, https://7sage.com/score-lsat-test/

Also, if you will be bored and instead decide to skip around vs. listening to them all, then I think you should still review some explanations, but not all, unless it is an area of concern for you. Still follow the courses layout and listen to all of the main videos in order.

I would of course spend a lot of time in the areas of concern. But remember going through everything to ensure that you have an extreamly strong foundation, and would be 3-4 weeks of very well spent time.

After going through everything, I would anticipate you would be in the 170s
  • danilphillipsdanilphillips Alum Member
    200 karma
    I skipped RC and that is my highest section.
  • quinnxzhangquinnxzhang Member
    edited June 2016 611 karma
    I was in a similar situation- diagnostic at 168, and already knew most of the stuff covered in the curriculum. I didn't skip, per se, but I did skim/fast-forward through the material I already knew. I also tackled the material covering my weakest section first (LGs), and then went back to the stuff I already knew to make sure I didn't miss anything.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    I'd recommend going through the whole curriculum, even if you do it on "fast forward". There are hidden gems in there that can help you have an "aha" moment on whatever your remaining weak spots are in LR (I understand that's your strongest section) and can push you toward that consistent -0. Definitely go through the LG carefully and do the FoolProof. That alone should easily get you into the 170's. The RC part of the curriculum is comparatively very short, so it shouldn't take a long time to go through. I found that for RC doing tests with very thorough, ruthless review was the best way toward a high score, but RC was my best section starting out, so it was more a matter of finding a pace and notation system that worked best for me.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    I love JY's voice on at least 1.4 speed - keeps me energized! However I am very careful to slow him back down when I reach an area that I am not completely confident!
    (If I have JY at normal speed for an extended period of time, my husband gets concerned and will actually check on me for moral support telling me I can figure it out:)
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    I usually have him on at least 1.4 I am a fast talker, so I have learned that usually works well. At 2.5 is when things get out of had for me ha.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    I turn him down to 0.8 for fun sometimes. When I forget to change it back, I always get worried about him like he has the flu or something.