Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recording PTs

Micaela_OVOMicaela_OVO Alum Member
edited August 2016 in General 1018 karma
For those of you who record sections or PTs, where do you upload them? I got tired of trying to find space on my measly 11GB phone and upgraded to the GoPro. However, it takes my computer nearly 5 hours to upload just one logic game recording on any cloud service.

Maybe it's my wifi? Do y'all just go to Starbucks or a place with fast wifi to upload? Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• BackoftheEnvelopeBackoftheEnvelope Alum Member
    171 karma
    I go to the local university and use their wifi. Always works for me!
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    I'm assuming the video is the length of the actual LSAT (minus the breaks) so it shouldn't take so long to upload. I do think your wifi could be the issue.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    I'm assuming the video is the length of the actual LSAT (minus the breaks) so it shouldn't take so long to upload. I do think your wifi could be the issue.
    Yeah, I have uploaded recorded things of a much longer nature and it did not take so long, so I'm guessing it might be the wifi.
  • BackoftheEnvelopeBackoftheEnvelope Alum Member
    171 karma
    Hmm. I've only uploaded 35-minute sections thus far, but, even with the university wifi, it still takes me a good hour or so. Genuinely curious to know how others are uploading full-length PTs online. I can't imagine staying at X location all day waiting for my PT to upload.
  • Micaela_OVOMicaela_OVO Alum Member
    1018 karma
    @BackoftheEnvelope said:
    I can't imagine staying at X location all day waiting for my PT to upload.
    This. It would probably take me an entire weekend to upload a full PT. Smh.

11542 karma
    @Micaela_OVO lol well I was under the impression that you would be studying during the upload time?
    edited August 2016 1018 karma
    @montaha.rizeq I definitely study while waiting! Haha I was just hoping there was a less painful way to upload them.
    11542 karma
    @Micaela_OVO gotchya! well hopefully if you try a new location with stronger wifi it will take less time :)
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27828 karma
    I upload to dropbox, but yeah, my upload speed is about like yours @Micaela_OVO . I just start it before going to bed and hope it'll finish by morning.
  • MaritzaaMaritzaa Alum Member
    368 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" Just saw this post. What are the benefits of recording PTs? Is this something new that everyone is trying?
    27828 karma
    @Mitzyyyy , I'm not sure how new it is, but lots of benefits.

I work out the problems as I watch the recordings and often catch myself in errors as I'm making them on the recording. That's a really powerful moment. It's like I'm syncing with myself and I can determine the exact moment in my thought process where I went wrong. This is way more specific than traditional BR. You can identify not just what you did wrong but, very precisely how when and why you went wrong. This is really powerful information to apply to identifying and correcting weaknesses. If you're aiming for a 170+ score, the difference is in these details.

It's also a huge resource in developing a pacing strategy. Before I started recording, my LR timing was really tight. I would finish right on time or miss a question or two. Watching my recordings, I noticed exactly where I was unnecessarily losing time. My first PT after this initial review, I shaved ten minutes off my time. Ten minutes!? To be fair, there was a lot more that went into that than just having reviewed some footage, and I do consider myself very high level at LR. Having the footage though was an absolutely essential part of my ability to get there.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Are you uploading them for others to see? Or for your own personal benefit (e.g. viewing them later)? If the former, go to a local coffee shop or university and upload there.
    If the latter, consider investing in an inexpensive external hard drive. I think you can get a decent sized hard drive for a good price on eBay. My no-name 250gb drive ran me just a little over $20.
  • Slim_JimSlim_Jim Alum Member
    105 karma
    Take a look at speedtest.net. This would allow you to compare your different upload speeds and decide the best location.
    1018 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" I agree! Being able to know exactly when and where you went wrong is extremely valuable.

@MrSamIam Both. I did get faster upload speeds at Starbucks, so looks like I'll be doing my uploads there unless I find a better option. Thanks!

@willits.james Thank you!! This sounds like my best bet.
    27828 karma
    Oh, another note on upload speed @Micaela_OVO . I read that the Opera browser was supposed to be specifically designed to max up/download speeds. I started using it instead of Safari, and it actually made a significant difference. I don't at all understand how the browser could make such a big difference, but in my case it really did. So if you're having speed troubles, maybe give that a try.
  • lsnnnnn0011lsnnnnn0011 Alum Member
    edited October 2016 227 karma
    @Micaela_OVO , @"Cant Get Right" how do you hold your GoPro or phones? I have a GoPro but I don't know what kind of mount or accessory I should use...should I use a mini-tripod???
    27828 karma
    You've just got to play around with whatever works. I used a couple of bar stools sitting on top of end tables- one on each side of my desk- and ran a board over my desk to set my phone on. It worked great. I just had to experiment with what I had and figure it out.
  • texvd1988texvd1988 Member
    605 karma
    Sorry if this is dense, but how does one go about recording?
    27828 karma
    I just used my phone. I marked the frame on my desk with tape so that I could keep my test from straying off camera, then just took the test like normal only stopping and starting the video between sections.
  • Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    2301 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" Very crafty. I like it!
  • ethaaaanethaaaan Alum Member
    276 karma
    I use a GoPro Session w/ 64GB microSD, usually holds 6-7 sections recording at 1080p/30fps. and upload to YouTube as an unlisted or private video. Uploading from a coffee shop is likely to take wayyyyyyy to long, unless its a Starbucks on the east coast with Google Fiber (I think that is a thing in some cities). University or work is going to be your best option, any internet connection below 75-100 Mbps is going to take forever to upload a 35 minute HD video to any online service. Try using speedtest.net to check the internet speeds in any locations you have access to and use the network with the highest upload speed. I always go to my university to upload, because at 500Mbps upload, its literally over 100x faster than my connection at home.
    1018 karma
    @dannyy121 I use a gooseneck mount for my GoPro. It works pretty well! No complaints so far.

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Phone-Holder-Stand-Gooseneck/dp/B00JK70KUY?th=1

The Opera browser was significantly faster. Thanks, @"Cant Get Right"!!
  • lsnnnnn0011lsnnnnn0011 Alum Member
    227 karma
    @Micaela_OVO @remooooved @Cant Get Right Thank you guys!!! Very helpful!!