Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

skipping long LR questions

SeattlesBestSeattlesBest Alum Member
edited September 2016 in Logical Reasoning 165 karma
I usually finish answering all the questions in the nick of time or have to skip a couple of them.
My current strategy is to first skip all the parallel method of reasoning, parallel flaw, or long principle questions, (regardless, not even assessing the difficulty) then attempt them all at the end. Thus, the skipped (guessed) questions usually end up being those questions.
Do you think it’s a good strategy or should I make a change? I will appreciate your thoughts/experience!

Comments

• midna_twilimidna_twili Free Trial Member
    56 karma
    I don't think this is a bad strategy necessarily but you should typically skip questions that you are not able to instantly understand. So regardless of question type you should move on from questions that still confuse you after 2 or 3 reads of the stimulus.

I would also work on going through the easier questions quickly like 10 in 10 minutes or 15 in 15. That will help you be able to correctly answer every question you understand.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    edited September 2016 2086 karma
    Your strategy should be to skip all of the difficult questions, with the intent of A) Getting back to them, and B) Completing all of the easy ones first.
    I used to employ your method, and, I'd be lying if I said that I no longer use it. However, you're better off drilling the questions that you're skipping so that you can become more proficient at answering them efficiently and accurately.
    That said, if this method is working for you, stick with it - so long as you are operating under the assumption that you'll come back to those questions if there is time.

P.S. I can't tell you how many times I've completed a PR question in under :45 during BR, that I had initially skipped...most annoying feeling ever!
  • leejayleeleejaylee Alum Member
    218 karma
    Sometimes those longer questions can be solved in a minute. A lot of the long questions have what I call "fluff". These questions are ACTUALLY, sometimes way easier than the short ones. Short stimuli are actually quite difficult sometimes.

I'd say skip questions that are hard to understand when read first time through.
    But by all means, if the current method of skipping long questions gives you the best possible marks, no one should tell you otherwise. =)
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @leejaylee said:
    Sometimes those longer questions can be solved in a minute. A lot of the long questions have what I call "fluff". These questions are ACTUALLY, sometimes way easier than the short ones. Short stimuli are actually quite difficult sometimes.
    Yeah, I certainly think there is some truth to the longer ones sometimes being some of the easiest.

I think that is a good strategy if it is working for you, and as @MrSamIam says, you are making sure you drill these types of questions to get better at them.