Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT On The Computer?

SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
in General 11542 karma
When I took the Feb. 2016 LSAT, I had to answer questions about how familiar I am with technology and how comfortable I would feel taking an exam on the computer vs. on paper instead of the normal questions they ask about how we prepared for the LSAT etc. I thought that was interesting but then said to myself, "I hope the LSAT doesn't turn into the MCAT by taking the exam on the computer." Can you imagine taking this almost 4 hour exam on a computer?!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Oh my god! That would be awful, as I need to write to diagram logic games. I just don't think I could ever do them by typing things out, lol.
  • dhenry888dhenry888 Live Member
    16 karma
    Never! God please
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    Oh my god! That would be awful, as I need to write to diagram logic games. I just don't think I could ever do them by typing things out, lol.
    For realzies. I mean maybe they'd provide paper to use for LG but dude this can't be happening lol. Did you take the MCAT before they put it on the computer? Not sure how long ago they began doing that haha.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq Yeah, they switched over to computers ages ago I think. I had a much older cousin who took them when I was in high school and she took it on a computer as well.
    Your bubble sheet it literally on the computer during the MCAT... It has its advantages though.

Also, in the Parallel world of the MCAT, Kaplan is actually good!
  • SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
    1278 karma
    yeah almost all of my friends in UG that studied for the MCAT went with Kaplan and they all ended up in good medical schools lol

And also, please do not ever make the LSAT computerized, I think I would just die!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @sweetsecret said:
    yeah almost all of my friends in UG that studied for the MCAT went with Kaplan and they all ended up in good medical schools lol
    Yeah, it is so odd. I would never use Kaplan for the LSAT, but I used it almost exclusively when I prepped for the MCAT.

Yeah, a computerized LSAT would be a hard adjustment. I doubt it will be this year or next year, but it is coming, no doubt about it.
    11542 karma
    I really hope not! I fear for future LSAT generations if this is the case lol it doesn't make sense to me how this could be of any benefit. My eyes would hurt so bad. How would one notate a RC passage for example? I think the only benefit of this would be that there's a possibility of getting scores sooner. I know the MCAT you have to wait about the same time as the LSAT but the GRE is also computerized and they get the score right after the exam is done lol.
    If it's not broken don't fix it!
    11542 karma
    Watch LSAT takers in the year 2030 see this and laugh at the idea of taking a non computerized LSAT and how fearful we are of it lol.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    This is crazy! You "need" to make some sort of notation for every section of this test. Nope. Are they passing out touchscreen tablets??
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    What did you say @montaha.rizeq? Was there a " oh f*** no" option?
  • LSATman1LSATman1 Alum Member
    386 karma
    The GMAT and GRE provide you with either a writing pad or scratch paper. I imagine the LSAT would do the same if it becomes computerized.
    11542 karma
    @nanchito said:
    Was there a " oh f*** no" option?
    LOOOOOL nah but you best believe if there was I'd circle the crap out of it.
    11542 karma
    @LSATman1 said:
    The GMAT and GRE provide you with either a writing pad or scratch paper. I imagine the LSAT would do the same if it becomes computerized.
    Same...still, I don't understand how this can be better than having the test on paper.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27829 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    I don't understand how this can be better than having the test on paper.
    It's probably way cheaper to administer if they take it digital. That would be my guess.
    11542 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    It's probably way cheaper to administer if they take it digital. That would be my guess.
    I get that but I was speaking in regards to those taking the test, you know, the people LSAC can give two shits about lol.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27829 karma
    Oh yeah, that would totally suck. Hopefully it'll be awhile yet.
  • SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
    1278 karma
    @"Alex Divine" yeah I would NEVER go with Kaplan for the LSAT. I only learned of 7Sage bc hella people on TLS were raving about it..

If you don't mind my asking, how come you didn't do medical school? Oh wait your probably going for the joint degree JD/MD, right?
    11542 karma
    @sweetsecret said:
    I only learned of 7Sage bc hella people on TLS were raving about it..
    Yaaaaas...it's lit
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    I would petition that. I can't stare at a computer screen for longer than a minute without getting those squiggly lines in my vision! Technology is great, but some things (e.g. the LSAT) are better taken on paper.
    11542 karma
    @MrSamIam said:
    I would petition that. I can't stare at a computer screen for longer than a minute without getting those squiggly lines in my vision! Technology is great, but some things (e.g. the LSAT) are better taken on paper.
    My thoughts exactly!! what's wrong with this world?
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    I tried to BR using Notability on an Ipad and it was awful. Although you can make marks on the screen, I felt disengaged from the content unlike having a pencil and paper to stay engaged. It was interesting watching JY's Live Commentary on PT77 where so many questions were clean of any pencil marks but for some of the harder questions he was aggressive in using his pencil to identify key points in the stimulus and A/C's.

My experience spending today and other days as a CASA in the Juvenile Courts (with a definite flaw of sampling error and not trying to over-generalize) I am amazed how many lawyers still use yellow legal pads. After watching about 30 different lawyers most under 35 years old for 17 cases, the lawyers & support staff using any type of technology had to have been below 20%.

I will be curious to see how the next evolution of the LSAT unfolds as it goes digital.

Sci-Fi prediction - the future of the LSAT - tablets with Retina scanners to verify your identity and they can capture all of your markings for data points or recognize strategies to make it an even more difficult test, lol:) How are they going to afford to provide tablets at the testing sites and keep them safe from "Viruses" - I know a bad joke after Saturday:(
  • MikkelVillaMikkelVilla Free Trial Member
    3 karma
    I'm not sure if I can disclose but if I can then I'll leave it here

On the LSAT I just took we were asked about computers again however it specifically asked about writing the writing section part, not the full test but I'm not sure how they'd do that exactly, splitting it up. Other than that it asked about comfortability with tablets.

Here in Denmark the equivalent of the MCAT is taken entirely on an iPad but scratch paper on the side.
  • BlueBellBlueBell Free Trial Member
    60 karma
    pretty sure that is why they asked those questions, i purposely put all my answers as "ive never used a computer before and am not comfortable with them", lets start a movement to get all future LSAT takers to do that so they dont change it?
    edited September 2016 11542 karma
    @twssmith said:
    I felt disengaged from the content
    That's EXACTLY what I'm saying!
    11542 karma
    @twssmith said:
    I am amazed how many lawyers still use yellow legal pads. After watching about 30 different lawyers most under 35 years old for 17 cases, the lawyers & support staff using any type of technology had to have been below 20%.
    I love using legal pads, I can see myself doing the same lol
    11542 karma
    @MikkelVilla said:
    On the LSAT I just took we were asked about computers again however it specifically asked about writing the writing section part, not the full test but I'm not sure how they'd do that exactly, splitting it up. Other than that it asked about comfortability with tablets.
    Very interesting. All I can recollect from the feb 2016 lsat is the questionnaire asking how comfortable we are with technology blah blah. Not mentioning any LSAT section in specific. I would totally be ok if just the WS was on a computer (although pointless). Everything else needs to stay on paper lol.
    11542 karma
    @BlueBell said:
    i purposely put all my answers as "ive never used a computer before and am not comfortable with them", lets start a movement to get all future LSAT takers to do that so they dont change it?
    Omg, mad props to you for putting the most extreme answer they had LOOOL