Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lsac gpa conversion

seungheerseungheer Alum Member
in General 40 karma
Hi, I just have a brief question. I just looked at my school's office of registrar site and found out that gpa of 3.5 is equivalent to a letter grade of A-. According to LSAC gpa conversion chart, it is stated that A- starts from 3.67. Does this mean that my 3.5 gpa gets converted to starting from 3.67? Thanks.

Comments

• KaterynaKateryna Alum Member
    984 karma
    Yeap
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    I'm not exactly sure what you are asking?
  • Anna MarieAnna Marie Alum Member
    210 karma
    I'm not sure what you mean by a GPA of 3.5 equalling an A- (at many universities cumulative GPAs are converted to an honors ranking, I.e. Magma cum laude, rather than an overall letter grade). However, if you mean that an A- grade at your university converts to a 3.5, then LSAC will re-calculate those grades to "count" as a 3.67 (or whatever the LSAC scale is for A-). I'm no expert on this though, so definitely email LSAC about it if you aren't sure and really need to know before sending your transcripts.
  • seungheerseungheer Alum Member
    40 karma
    Thank you for the reply!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27830 karma
    7Sage has a calculator that you can plug all your grades into which will generate your LSAC GPA. That should give you a pretty good idea of where you'll stand:

https://7sage.com/gpa-calculator/
  • rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma
    when applying to law school does this even matter? we send our official transcripts and my school, for example, shows my gpa right there on the transcript.
    27830 karma
    @RafaelBernard said:
    when applying to law school does this even matter?
    Big time. The GPA that schools will use to consider your application is not the GPA that appears on your transcript. They use the GPA that LSAC calculates. So if your UG says you have a 4.0 and somehow LSAC says you've got a 2.0, you've got a 2.0 end of story. That kind of swing won't happen, but that's just an extreme example to demonstrate the point.
  • rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" I had no idea. I wonder if this is true for graduate programs as well? Thanks for clarifying!
    27830 karma
    No problem @RafaelBernard .

Schools don't really factor grad degree stats that much because it doesn't count towards their rankings, but I suppose LSAC would convert those as well. I don't have a grad degree, so not positive on that one.