Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I received accommodations for the LSAT!

drzoidbergdrzoidberg Member
in General 70 karma
Hi,

A few weeks ago, I applied for accommodations, namely 1.5X the regular time and a quiet room. I just wanted to share my experience in case anyone else wants to apply as well.

I applied during the late registration deadline, so I only had a few days to gather my documents. I have a learning disability with ADHD as well. I was diagnosed during my 2nd year of university, and I had never applied for any accommodations at school or for standardized tests. I was afraid that they were going to reject my request because I had no past history, but they approved it!

All I included in my accommodations package were the three forms required by LSAC, a doctor's note confirming my disability and that I wasn't taking any medication, and a psychological evaluation of my learning disabilities with the test results/analysis. I applied on October 25th, and got a response today on November 9th.

I'm really glad that LSAC streamlined the process and made receiving accommodations more accessible. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Also, thank you to everyone at 7Sage for helping me out as well!

Comments

  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @drzoidberg said:
    Also, thank you to everyone at 7Sage for helping me out as well!
    So happy to hear this! Congrats on getting what you need and deserve, and for not giving up!
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11536 karma
    Now go beat the living shit out of the LSAT!
  • steve-10steve-10 Alum Member
    192 karma
    Care to share what your learning disability is? Also, I'm curious in these cases how the disabilities will affect law school experience.
  • drzoidbergdrzoidberg Member
    70 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    So happy to hear this! Congrats on getting what you need and deserve, and for not giving up!
    Thank you so much!!!
  • drzoidbergdrzoidberg Member
    70 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Now go beat the living shit out of the LSAT!
    I'm going to kill the test!
  • drzoidbergdrzoidberg Member
    70 karma
    @"steve-1" said:
    Care to share what your learning disability is? Also, I'm curious in these cases how the disabilities will affect law school experience.
    I'm not really sure I how would classify it because my psych evaluated me using standardized tests. But from what I can gather, I have low scores in the perceptual reasoning, and working memory area. But very high scores in the verbal comprehension, abstract verbal reasoning area and processing speed.

    I don't consider my disability, a 'disability'. It's something I've managed my whole life using various strategies and techniques and I've done well in school and work regardless. The same will apply to my law school experience.
  • steve-10steve-10 Alum Member
    edited November 2016 192 karma
    @drzoidberg, I'm glad your school and work experience are not affected. What it is about the LSAT (and, historically, maybe SAT? -- I know you didn't apply) that makes accommodation justified -- or as Alex Divine put it, needed and deserved -- in your case?

    Where I'm coming from: I listened to the latest Thinking LSAT podcast today (http://www.thinkinglsat.com Episode 73) and on it Nathan Fox expressed his view that, while in some cases accommodations are indeed needed and deserved, in a significant number of cases they provide an unfair advantage.
  • drzoidbergdrzoidberg Member
    70 karma
    @"steve-1" said:
    @drzoidberg, I'm glad your school and work experience are not affected. What it is about the LSAT (and, historically, maybe SAT? -- I know you didn't apply) that makes accommodation justified -- or as Alex Divine put it, needed and deserved -- in your case?
    Why do I deserve accommodations? Because I have a learning disability. That's all that should be said. I don't mean to be rude, but I don't appreciate being scrutinized for seeking what I need. That's exactly the kind of discriminatory mentality that prevented thousands of students from getting their accommodations accepted by LSAC in the first place.

    I didn't spend thousands of dollars over the course of a year going through intensive testing just so that I could apply for accommodations for the LSAT. It was a point of concern for me and I wanted to learn more about myself to help ME cope and be the best person I can.
  • rakinalikhanrakinalikhan Alum Member
    329 karma
    congratulations! i found this tuesday out that im getting extended time as well :)
  • ShownuffShownuff Alum Member
    222 karma
    Good for you. Many people without learning disorders and disabilities have no idea about the day to day struggles others go through. Like 2pac said "keep your head up".
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    edited November 2016 12637 karma
    @"steve-1" said:
    Where I'm coming from: I listened to the latest Thinking LSAT podcast today (http://www.thinkinglsat.com Episode 73) and on it Nathan Fox expressed his view that, while in some cases accommodations are indeed needed and deserved, in a significant number of cases they provide an unfair advantage.
    Nathan Fox sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about re: accommodations and should butt out of topics he has no experience with.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/KYNywoibU1PQ4/giphy.gif
    @Shownuff said:
    Good for you. Many people without learning disorders and disabilities have no idea about the day to day struggles others go through. Like 2pac said "keep your head up".
    http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lesewbCi2J1qaqaiy.gif
  • Creasey LSATCreasey LSAT Legacy Member
    423 karma
    Got the same req approved this morning. FINALLY I can PT at the 53 min pace.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11536 karma
    @Shownuff said:
    Good for you. Many people without learning disorders and disabilities have no idea about the day to day struggles others go through. Like 2pac said "keep your head up".
    Pac's a legend!
    http://33.media.tumblr.com/cc300f37e2d16b54cda45b38646765a1/tumblr_nr9l1qz0qD1shdtkfo1_500.gif
  • steve-10steve-10 Alum Member
    192 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright", I reviewed the relevant portion of the podcast and I think it would be unfair to Fox to let my synopsis stand as is. He didn't say "a significant number of cases." Also, he made it clear that he has no problem with testees who avail themselves of accommodations. Anyone who is interested in the issue of LSAT accommodations might find the podcast discussion worthwhile and possibly provocative. It runs from 27:55 to 39:45.
  • Creasey LSATCreasey LSAT Legacy Member
    423 karma
    I can't stand listening to this Fox guy bash test takers with accommodations...
  • notwilliamwallacenotwilliamwallace Alum Member
    1049 karma
    I took the test with accommodations because I actually needed them. I have Ulcerative Colitis and suffer from horrible symptoms (you can google them if you want). This illness has severely impacted my life in general and accommodations are definitely warranted. I am sympathetic to the needs of people who also require them. However, in that podcast, Fox does mention a good point. The number of people getting accommodations is significantly higher and more and more students are applying for and receiving them, which is a great thing. However, if we see it from the perspective of the LSAT, they need to maintain the curve and preserve the test's integrity. I can foresee significant changes coming to the test. What will they be? I am not sure...but I won't be surprised if we some changes to the test that make it harder for students.
  • orangebeerorangebeer Alum Member
    216 karma
    @notwilliamwallace said:
    if we see it from the perspective of the LSAT, they need to maintain the curve and preserve the test's integrity. I can foresee significant changes coming to the test. What will they be? I am not sure...but I won't be surprised if we some changes to the test that make it harder for students.
    And they actually already started the "reform."
    Starting from September, all accommodation students have to take experiment section.
  • notwilliamwallacenotwilliamwallace Alum Member
    1049 karma
    @orangebeer said:
    Starting from September, all accommodation students have to take experiment section.
    Yup, and it definitely made things a little tougher. I also think that going forward, we are bound to see tougher questions on the LSAT in general. Virus Game and Eileen Grey type of questions will likely become the norm. If they want to maintain the curve, it is the only way.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited November 2016 11536 karma
    @orangebeer said:
    Starting from September, all accommodation students have to take experiment section.
    I'm kind of questioning whether taking the LSAT with accommodations will pose more harm than good now that you all are unfairly given the experimental. Thoughts?
Sign In or Register to comment.