Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Timing for my ADHD folks

So I am ADHD but truthfully I have not been medicated in years, well since college. I am pretty positive I will have to go back on meds for law school... but anyway I digress... I am finding I am getting frustrated and bored during the sections and then I start rushing to finish and we all know how that can turn out. What are tips you have for that??? I am beginning to wonder if I should go back on medication to help study... but like most adhd folks I hate being on the meds because I feel zombified. How do you keep focused? Even if you are not ADHD I am willing to listen, because I am just drilling 35 minute sections right now... When I start taking tests at the first of the year... I really do not want to burn valuable tests... because of this. Anyway thoughts? and don't worry if you think I need to medicate I won't get offended because my mom and dad informed me I needed to get back on medication so I can nail the test anyway lol

PS miss chatting LSAT with you guys...

Comments

• esteeroseesteerose Alum Member
    edited November 2016 382 karma
    Have you requested accommodated testing? I do not have ADHD or any cognitive issues but still got it for OCD and PTSD. What sections are you the most bored? I get bored, but I mostly burn up time doing a lot of checking and rechecking.

Have you ever liked something and other people thought it was way boring? I try and think of times that I was really interested in something that is traditionally a bore. I try to recreate the enthusiasm that i had for that subject.
  • Creasey LSATCreasey LSAT Member
    423 karma
    Grab a script, plow through it, and think of it all as simply taking out a loan against your body.
  • conraddnoronhaconraddnoronha Alum Member
    150 karma
    I have ADHD, not taken accommodation. With practice, I have managed to improve scores a decent bit and manage timing. I do make silly errors by misreading stuff and I still face timing problems with RC, working on it :p . Again this all depends on the severity of your ADHD.
  • 342 karma
    Thanks guys it gets worse the longer I sit. I am currently studying a hour a day as I have 7 months until I test. Mostly because life is chaotic right now I'm going to increase 2-3 hours at the first of the year and I'm hoping with practice I'll focus better.

It's just insane I forgot how much I struggled in college with studying.

I might apply for accommodations I'm still on the fence

Thanks guys
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @TheCubicleEscapee nice to see you around 7sage again! :D since you're still on the fence with applying for accommodations, you can take this time first to see how you do under accommodated conditions while taking a PT. Just remember to include the 5th section for an experimental.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    wait aren't you in costa rica teaching English?!?
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    The ADHD struggle is real... I also have ADHD and sitting for long periods of time is a nightmare. I don't rush, but I tend to just drop off and lose concentration if I'm sitting for a long time. This, as you can imagine, is terrible if you're working. I can't drop off in the middle of a shift (though thankfully my schedule is pretty flexible so sometimes I can move things around), but on days where I have to stay concentrated for X amount of time, I work around it with an award system. It's simple, but if you figure out something that works with it, it'll work with you.

Mine is usually "Work/study for X amount of time (in this case it would be until your break) then award yourself with a small walk, stretch and snack". I have these little teddygram cookies in my cupboard for my snack. :P
  • 342 karma
    Haha yes I am!!! Which is why I use my valuable time on the spotty wifi watching JY's videos vs discussion this was just something I wanted advice on
  • 342 karma
    The ADHD struggle is very real which is honestly why I decided to give myself a full year of prep so I can start off slow and steady
  • bunny11.11bunny11.11 Alum Member
    38 karma
    I think it's all about making the answers appear more obvious to you. If you do enough PTs, the patterns become apparent; and you find yourself going fast and staying interested. The RC section is just hard - I still get very distracted, but I'm trying to let myself have 10 minutes for reading and questions, so I can then slowly push myself into the time limit.

I think it's definitely possible to do well with ADHD, but I do think we have to work a little harder. I've found the question type problem sets to be very helpful, maybe more so than taking whole sections (which I did when first studying). I've read all the "LSAT Bible" books and am now going through everything with 7sage. You just have to figure out what works for you, and will help you learn and keep your attention the best.

Best of luck!