Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

prepping for the september 2017 LSAT

Harvey specterHarvey specter Alum Member
in General 58 karma
hey guys,
after studying for about a month in september last year and a gap of more than 3 months, i have jumpstarted the core curriculum all over again. i am an ESL student but don't find it so difficult to read and write complex english. i was thinking about preparing for the exam for about 8 months and finally giving it in the month of september this year, the only thing that is bothering me is that when i read it in the discussion forum that most of the successful people in this community had prepared for at least a year or so before giving their respective exams, it makes me ponder upon as to what would be an ideal amount of time for me to prepare for the exam. i am open to any suggestions.
also the december 2017 exam will be the last option for me to be considered for the admission cycle of fall 2018.

Comments

• sarahmelton6sarahmelton6 Alum Member
    169 karma
    I believe the ideal amount of time is about one year. There is no harm in preparing to take the exam in September, though. You mentioned that you already put in a month of study time previously. Do you think your target score is attainable in 8-11 months from now?
  • Harvey specterHarvey specter Alum Member
    edited January 2017 58 karma
    @sarahmelton6 said:
    Do you think your target score is attainable in 8-11 months from now?
    I honestly don't have any idea if my target score is attainable within 8 months or not. I mean i have just begun and my diagnostic was a 137 back in september last year, and after covering about 30% of LR from the core curriculum i achieved a 146 on my second PT. My target score is anywhere in the range of 168-174.
  • Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma
    I've postponed twice from my December 2016 paid registration and plan on sitting for the June 2018 LSAT. And yes, that means that I need to postpone applying one more cycle (applying in Fall 2018 to start law school in Fall 2019).

Honestly, 2 weeks ago, I would have dreaded the idea of preparing for so long because I used to think I liked intense study in short bursts. NOPE. In those two weeks -- life has forced me to realize to postpone 1.5 years + another cycle (I am older than typical applicant with family commitments, yada yada) -- and I made peace with the new plan.

It is what it is, and I finally stopped trying to force a good score when my diagnostics (I have several ranging 138 to 150) tell a different story than the best path to my goals. Now that I have ample breathing room, my CC is actually going very well, instead of bumpy when I tried to force it to "click." Who knew?! Oh wait, the Sages and mentors did! :D

At least give yourself a month from now to see how your CC is going. Then adjust. As a Sage told me just last evening in his fine webinar: be flexible. And be honest with yourself in your studies.

Bottom line: the LSAT will not be forced into submission, no matter how much we wish it so. So don't force it, give yourself room to conquer this test!