Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to Improve My Logic Reasoning

Hi everyone,

I'm taking the LSAT on Feb 19 and I'm start to panic a bit. For each practise LSAT I've taken my Logical Reasoning scores hover around 65%. Comparatively my Logic Games are around 95% and my Reading Comprehension is around 85%. I'm completing all the sections comfortable timewise. I really need to improve the LR sections but I've got no clue how to.

I've gone about halfway through the powerscore bible. Do I keep going through that even though it seems I haven't grasped basic concepts? Do I buy another book? Do I just practise a lot?

Help!

Comments

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    edited January 2017 1741 karma
    Well, you don't have much time to improve with the test being a month away.

Do you really need to take the Feb test? I would consider holding off until June.

With that being said, I would be non stop drilling LR. Especially questions from my problem areas. Punch in your scores on 7sage analytics and analyze which questions are the most problematic. Recording yourself taking an LR section can be immensely fruitful as well. Since you only have powerscore and not 7sage, I would take a section timed for 35 minutes, then go over EACH question again, untimed, with your powerscore book open and reviewing your strategy for each question type.

You really want to build a mechanical approach to LR questions. You're thinking should be aligned as such 'this is a necessary assumption question, to guarantee success on these questions I must do this this and this' or 'this is a must be true question, to guarantee to success I must do this this and this'. After some time this will become intuitive.

Best of luck to you
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27860 karma
    @natashagb95 said:
    I've gone about halfway through the powerscore bible. Do I keep going through that even though it seems I haven't grasped basic concepts? Do I buy another book? Do I just practise a lot?
    Several things here:

First, you shouldn't be taking practice tests at all because you haven't finished your curriculum. If all you've done is go about halfway through the powerscore bible, that's about half of the LR concepts you've never been exposed to. The fact that you're scoring at 65% shouldn't really be a surprise. Stop wasting material before you've given yourself the opportunity to benefit from it.

Second, everyone learns differently, but if you're finding that you're not understanding the information it wouldn't hurt to switch to a different curriculum. I started with Powerscore too, and it didn't do it for me either. I'd, of course, recommend 7Sage.

Third, and most importantly, this:
    @jknauf said:
    Do you really need to take the Feb test? I would consider holding off until June.
    You're nowhere near ready and February is going to be a catastrophe. There's probably much nicer ways to say that, but I just really wish someone had been so blunt with me before I wasted my first two takes. Are you more committed to your score or to February? I hope it's to your score because based on your RC and LG performance, it looks like you've got enormous potential. Don't waste that potential! Your timeline has forced you to half-ass your LR studies, and that's always going to yield the same results. Hold off, slow down, and do it right.
  • natb1895natb1895 Member
    38 karma
    Thanks you've given me a lot to think about. June is the last test that I can do before I need to apply (Southern Hemisphere) so I can see me definitely doing a retake in June but it can't be my first LSAT. I'm kind of gutted because I've been casually (read: intermittently and slowly) been prepping since about June 2016 but with fulltime study, 3 jobs and everything else time is scarce. I'm going to devote this last month completely to LR and try to do a couple of hours of study per day for it and cross my fingers. I just checked back at my test scores and in early December I was averaging about 70% for LG which is when I put in a lot of effort for them. I'm hoping if I do the same for LR I'll hopefully see similar results.

I started using the Manhattan Prep flashcards app for conditional reasoning practice and I feel like my understanding of it is getting better so hopefully it'll just be a lot of drills as well as trying to finish the bible (though I'm still scoring poorly on question types that I've already studied as well which is my main worry!). I've also ordered the LR Bible Workbook and The Fox LSAT Logical Reasoning Encyclopedia: Disrespecting the LSAT (it had good reviews on Amazon). But I'm open to other suggestions as well.