Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retaking in 2017, but burned through PTs

NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
in General 5320 karma
So what are your thoughts? Have I really set myself back for getting from my official 159 to a 165 retake by using so many PTs?

Well! I have to say that I was pretty happy with my independent improvement from first PT (146) in August to official LSAT (159) in December. However, towards the end I was scoring mostly low160s and even a 165 so I really believe I am capable of a 163+ score. The fact that RC is my strongest section and that I studied without a proper curriculum to this point only strengthen my belief.

But now I am in, what feels like, an unideal position: I've drilled with or taken almost every PT from 52 through 75.

In the opening lessons of 7Sage core curriculum, JY says burning through PTs like that can do "irreparable damage". That language scares the crap out of me! I know that there are PLENTY of questions in those PTs which I have not yet mastered and there are lots of test taking strategies which I've yet to master as well, but I can't help but feel that having used so many PTs will only add to the difficulty of improving my score.

Comments

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma
    Do you have access to the older tests?
  • jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma
    Pre 52
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited January 2017 7468 karma
    @jkatz1488 said:
    But now I am in, what feels like, an unideal position: I've drilled with or taken almost every PT from 52 through 75.
    You still have at least 30-50 fresh practice tests (depending on how much of problem sets you've gone through in the curriculum--from what I can glean in your post, you haven't done many of them) to PT and drill from. While there are clear differences between the early tests and the more modern tests, there's plenty of things to be learned from the older tests. If RC is already your strongest section, then you're a fool if you don't do and foolproof every LG that LSAC has ever published. Save PT 76-80 for the last 6-8 weeks before your actual take, so that you give yourself time to adjust to the slight differences in those tests.
  • NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma
    @jknauf I've ordered them from amazon so I will have access soon.
    5320 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    You still have at least 30-50 fresh practice tests (depending on how much of problem sets you've gone through in the curriculum--from what I can glean in your post, you haven't done many of them) to PT and drill from.
    Yes still a lot of material left for me to learn from. I'm barely into the curriculum (just finished MP/IDC questions). I know that these tests are split between drilling and PT so I was concerned what the split was... I believe it's 50/50 for these. That will leave me 10 to PT from + the most recent tests... woo! OK you've put things into a better context.

@DumbHollywoodActor said:
    then you're a fool if you don't do and foolproof every LG that LSAC has ever published
    Absolutely. I've drilled every LG I saw to perfection during my initial prep and I'll continue to do that.

Thanks!
  • garlos26garlos26 Free Trial Member
    2 karma

@jkatz1488 Why are you re-taking? Doesn't that mean you forgo ability to apply for Fall 2017 admittance? I have a similar score from Dec test. If I re-take wouldn't that set me back on application schedule? Most schools require scores by now. Or am I missing something?

5320 karma

@garlos26 I'm retaking in 2017 to apply for 2018. The difference between a 159 and a 163 is tremendous -- more than enough to make me comfortable forgo 2017 admittance.

• K 440244K 440244 Alum Member
    104 karma

I have burned through most practice tests, I have like 5 left for June. I was reading how even though your score will be inflated, retaking exams you have already taken are invaluable. If you focus on the reasoning behind each answer choice and why its wrong and write. The practice is still there. Just make sure you are focusing on "skills not scores" as I have read somewhere on a discussion board before!

• danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma

Retakes will be invaluable to your prep, and they're actually tremendously beneficial for anyone. So while you have done irreparable damage, your road to your goal score isn't impossible, just a bit harder, and that's okay.

I myself was in a similar situation and finished the last six months or so of my prep with only a handful of tests. In some ways, it was a blessing in disguise, as retakes allowed me to truly understand the questions I initially missed as well as questions I luckily got right the first time around. Retakes also enable you to experiment a bit more with habits and strategies.

It isn't ideal to have no new material, though that doesn't preclude you from reaching your goal score. Invest in retakes and really study the newest material when two months or so are left before your real test day.