Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I withdraw?

hk22singhk22sing Free Trial Member
edited February 2017 in General 4 karma

Okay, so here's my story, it's long, so bear with me.
In November 2015, I applied for September 2016 admission. I hadn't touched the LSAT yet and I tried to study; however, I quickly realized it was too difficult as I was also in my final year of school (fifth year) and working a fairly demanding job on my days off. I had registered for the December LSAT but I withdrew prior to writing it as I knew nothing about the LSAT at this point. By February 2016 (the last accepted LSAT for the 2016 cycle), I realized it was better to take a year off and study for the LSAT properly. To be honest, applying during this cycle was a complete waste; however, at the time, I did not realize what the LSAT entailed and was told an anecdote where a girl studied for 6 weeks and got accepted, so I was basing my studying on 6 weeks.
I finished school in April 2016 and did not start studying right away because I had just completed my undergraduate and wanted some time off. Around June, I started studying using the Powerscore books, with the intention of writing the October LSAT. However, the week of the LSAT, I still did not feel prepared enough and I also did not really think I was benefiting from the Powerscore books as much as I could have, so the week of the October LSAT, I joined 7Sage (LSAT Premium). In the meantime, I applied for admission to the September 2017 cycle.
I enrolled for the December 2016 LSAT but the day before I realized I was still not ready (I had not even finished the core curriculum of 7sage at this point), and I withdrew. One of my friends ended up having a disturbance during their LSAT, which essentially wasted a take for her. As I only withdrew the day before the LSAT, I actually didn't tell my family and went to the test centre and wrote a PT instead that day in the library of the college I was supposed to be writing in. I also upgraded to LSAT Ultimate+.
Fast forward to today, I have improved a great deal (thanks to 7sage!!!) but I still do not feel completely ready. The first time I kind of rushed through the curriculum but now I have been going through the curriculum more slowly, as a result, I have not finished the Ultimate+, though I have finished the Premium Level. I went from a 147 LSAT in June to 161 on Test 64 two weeks ago. However, that is the only test I wrote where I scored in the 160s so far (I have not written any other PT since). Also, knowing the February LSAT is undisclosed also makes me slightly apprehensive because I won't be able to check my answers.
I know I can do better if I continue to study the way I have been studying now but I also don't know if I should waste another cycle and I feel like the girl who cried wolf in a sense that I always withdraw from my LSAT before I have written it, citing the need for more time. However, I would always apply for these tests prematurely, without actually being ready.
So, should I withdraw from tomorrow's LSAT or should I just write it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• marellaamarellaa Alum Member
    24 karma

I just withdrew! I registered for the December LSAT, and realized I was not ready. Today, the same. I wanted to write it because I also feel like the girl who cried wolf. But the fact remains I won't be getting into the school I want to get in to with my current PT score. Since you scored in the 160s, I would suggest timing/practicing one or two of your weakest sections. After make your decision. If those sections are similar to your lower PTs, it is probably best to not write. But if they are similar to 160, then its up to you. So funny, I feel pressured from friends and family to write the test tomorrow, so I will also attend school tomorrow and just do some practice tests.. Haha. My ultimate decision was based on knowing there's a possibility I can score my desired mark, but with extreme luck. In my case, I know its better after reading thread after thread to postpone, and study smarter. If you decide to write tomorrow, good luck!

• DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma

@mjmaric1 said:
    I just withdrew! I registered for the December LSAT, and realized I was not ready. Today, the same. I wanted to write it because I also feel like the girl who cried wolf. But the fact remains I won't be getting into the school I want to get in to with my current PT score. Since you scored in the 160s, I would suggest timing/practicing one or two of your weakest sections. After make your decision. If those sections are similar to your lower PTs, it is probably best to not write. But if they are similar to 160, then its up to you. So funny, I feel pressured from friends and family to write the test tomorrow, so I will also attend school tomorrow and just do some practice tests.. Haha. My ultimate decision was based on knowing there's a possibility I can score my desired mark, but with extreme luck. In my case, I know its better after reading thread after thread to postpone, and study smarter. If you decide to write tomorrow, good luck!

yeah i would not count on "extreme luck" and i definitely waited until i scored my desired range more than 3 times. I believe i scored it at least 5 times but i'm not entirely sure. I ended up getting that exact score on test day.

• DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma

@hk22sing said:
    Okay, so here's my story, it's long, so bear with me.
    In November 2015, I applied for September 2016 admission. I hadn't touched the LSAT yet and I tried to study; however, I quickly realized it was too difficult as I was also in my final year of school (fifth year) and working a fairly demanding job on my days off. I had registered for the December LSAT but I withdrew prior to writing it as I knew nothing about the LSAT at this point. By February 2016 (the last accepted LSAT for the 2016 cycle), I realized it was better to take a year off and study for the LSAT properly. To be honest, applying during this cycle was a complete waste; however, at the time, I did not realize what the LSAT entailed and was told an anecdote where a girl studied for 6 weeks and got accepted, so I was basing my studying on 6 weeks.
    I finished school in April 2016 and did not start studying right away because I had just completed my undergraduate and wanted some time off. Around June, I started studying using the Powerscore books, with the intention of writing the October LSAT. However, the week of the LSAT, I still did not feel prepared enough and I also did not really think I was benefiting from the Powerscore books as much as I could have, so the week of the October LSAT, I joined 7Sage (LSAT Premium). In the meantime, I applied for admission to the September 2017 cycle.
    I enrolled for the December 2016 LSAT but the day before I realized I was still not ready (I had not even finished the core curriculum of 7sage at this point), and I withdrew. One of my friends ended up having a disturbance during their LSAT, which essentially wasted a take for her. As I only withdrew the day before the LSAT, I actually didn't tell my family and went to the test centre and wrote a PT instead that day in the library of the college I was supposed to be writing in. I also upgraded to LSAT Ultimate+.
    Fast forward to today, I have improved a great deal (thanks to 7sage!!!) but I still do not feel completely ready. The first time I kind of rushed through the curriculum but now I have been going through the curriculum more slowly, as a result, I have not finished the Ultimate+, though I have finished the Premium Level. I went from a 147 LSAT in June to 161 on Test 64 two weeks ago. However, that is the only test I wrote where I scored in the 160s so far (I have not written any other PT since). Also, knowing the February LSAT is undisclosed also makes me slightly apprehensive because I won't be able to check my answers.
    I know I can do better if I continue to study the way I have been studying now but I also don't know if I should waste another cycle and I feel like the girl who cried wolf in a sense that I always withdraw from my LSAT before I have written it, citing the need for more time. However, I would always apply for these tests prematurely, without actually being ready.
    So, should I withdraw from tomorrow's LSAT or should I just write it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I also applied a cycle and never ended up writing the lsat for the same reason. I also ended up doing a 5th year and i was exhausted. I HIGHLY recommend taking a year off after finishing your fifth year-- it did wonders for me. You really do deserve more time.