Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Score plateaued

KateelaineKateelaine Alum Member
in General 172 karma

Sadly, my score has plateaued in the mid-high 150s range. I was in the 160s so I'm pretty discouraged. I've been studying for 7 months and take the exam in June. Any advice about how to get out of a score slump? I've worked through power score books, fox's prep, and used manhattan prep to pull up my logic games score.

Comments

• Zachary_PZachary_P Member
    659 karma

I ran into a similar plateau, and the thing that helped me break out of it was really taking blind review seriously. If you've fool proofed LG, then that part of your score should be somewhat constant. (If you haven't, then this is an easy first step; you should be missing less than 2 on every LG section). Beyond that, LR makes up half of the test, so giving these questions adequate time during BR is especially important. Whether it's a full timed PT or even just a section from an older exam, really dig in and try to understand why you are missing questions. That way you can identify trends. At mid-high 150's it may be a question type that you consistently miss. Or, if you're like me, it was learning to parse through thick grammar on some of the curve breaker questions. Either way, a thorough blind review can help with both of these! Best of luck!

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

I agree with @Zachary_P about maximizing the effort you put into blind review. That will really make you reckon with how much material you have mastered.

I would also just very consciously think about how you solve questions. That is, think about the process and habits you employ to solve a question. It's hard to get on that meta level, but if you can slow down during some practice sets and really note how you go about solving a problem, you may be able to spot some bad habits you've developed.

On a similar note, have you filmed yourself taking timed sections of the test? This is a strategy widely lauded by 7sage experts. You can really see how you are solving problems, when you waste time, etc. It can lead to improving your timing strategies and ultimately boosting your score.

• KateelaineKateelaine Alum Member
    172 karma

I haven't taken a 7sage class, so I'm not familiar with what a "blind review" is. Every week I take a practice test in which I simulate test conditions. (Take it around noon, timed, phone off, one break after section three, I don't score until the end, etc.) After the exam I review questions I got wrong, and go over questions I was shaking answering and take not of the question types for questions I got flat-out wrong. I always try to figure out why I was wrong, and why the correct answer is correct. During the week following that exam I review lessons on the question type I missed the most, and drill through the question type again. Every day I do timed drills in 8-minute segments for 7-8 questions (roughly 1/4 of a LR section). I drill logic games every day and have made the most gains in the LGs (first diagnostic only getting one game complete, to now only missing a few questions), I drill on the LR and go over all answers, and drill through the RC.

I haven't filmed myself taking an exam, but while I take the PTs I take notes in the margins about how I'm feeling about the exam. For example, usually in section 4 I am mentally fatigued and I'll write "getting tired" in the margin so that later I can maybe discern if I was getting questions incorrect because of mental fogginess, or even if the questions are so easy I can get them down when I'm tired.

I feel like I'm missing something from my study routine, but I just don't know what it is.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    edited April 2017 1997 karma

@"katharine.misc" said:
    I haven't taken a 7sage class, so I'm not familiar with what a "blind review" is. Every week I take a practice test in which I simulate test conditions. (Take it around noon, timed, phone off, one break after section three, I don't score until the end, etc.) After the exam I review questions I got wrong, and go over questions I was shaking answering and take not of the question types for questions I got flat-out wrong. I always try to figure out why I was wrong, and why the correct answer is correct. During the week following that exam I review lessons on the question type I missed the most, and drill through the question type again. Every day I do timed drills in 8-minute segments for 7-8 questions (roughly 1/4 of a LR section). I drill logic games every day and have made the most gains in the LGs (first diagnostic only getting one game complete, to now only missing a few questions), I drill on the LR and go over all answers, and drill through the RC.

I haven't filmed myself taking an exam, but while I take the PTs I take notes in the margins about how I'm feeling about the exam. For example, usually in section 4 I am mentally fatigued and I'll write "getting tired" in the margin so that later I can maybe discern if I was getting questions incorrect because of mental fogginess, or even if the questions are so easy I can get them down when I'm tired.

I feel like I'm missing something from my study routine, but I just don't know what it is.

Everything you described is the opposite of blind review. You shouldn't score your test right away until after you've reviewed it.
    https://7sage.com/lesson/the-blind-review-is-a-habit/

• KateelaineKateelaine Alum Member
    172 karma

@Mellow_Z thank you for the BR link! I'm definitely going to start using it in my prep. Fingers crossed it helps me out of this slump :)

• imharrisimharris Alum Member
    466 karma

@"katharine.misc" the blind review is huge! I'm about to sound like an advertisement for 7Sage so turn away if you're uninterested...

I've read that you're actual score is typically about 10 points lower than your blind review. This, for me, is great motivation to really take the time after a prep-test to go through each question I wasn't 100 percent sure about and get the right answer. This means diagramming logic where I wouldn't have time in an actual test. On LG I'll go through and check each answer option. I'm currently see steady improvements in my blind review scores, which are helping to bring up my actual prep-test scores. It really works and forces you to dig into the different concepts and questions types. Thus, rather than just seeing how well you did on a particular prep-test, you are able to actually judge your understanding of the material.

Here's why 7Sage is great: the core curriculum covers every type of question (LG, RC, and especially LR) and the fundamental logic behind all the questions. A good base from which to start. Once you start taking prep-tests and completing your blind review 7Sage offers a grading system that accounts for both the prep-test score and your blind review score. Further, it has a priority scale for which types of questions you need the most work on. The analytics are phenomenal. I've taken 10 prep-tests and am able to quickly see, using 7Sage's software, that I struggle most with Most Strongly Supported and Parallel Flaw questions. To study I won't simply review the question that I got wrong on the prep-test, but rather return to the core curriculum to review the material. At that point I am learning the material and not just reviewing a mistake I made on a prep-test or blind review.

Good luck! And be sure to check out the Webinar Videos. @"nicole.hopkins" really saved me with her reading comprehension video:

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

@Mellow_Z said:
    I can't get 7sage's link to the blind review method overview to work (I'm getting a 404 error),

Hey, where are you getting the 404 link from? The correct link is here:
    https://7sage.com/lesson/the-blind-review-step-1-100-certainty

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27860 karma

Yeah, I was stuck in kind of the low 160's for forever. 7Sage is what did it for me. I had done several of the other courses previously, and I just don't think I was ever going to get any further. The 7Sage curriculum is way more powerful, the study methodology is way more effective, and the community is a phenomenal resource.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@"Dillon A. Wright" said:

@Mellow_Z said:
    I can't get 7sage's link to the blind review method overview to work (I'm getting a 404 error),

I just googled it and the link came to

https://7sage.com/the-blind-review-how-to-correctly-prep-for-lsat-part-1/

likely just an old url.

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@"Dillon A. Wright" said:

@Mellow_Z said:

I just googled it and the link came to

https://7sage.com/the-blind-review-how-to-correctly-prep-for-lsat-part-1/

likely just an old url.

Ah, thanks!