Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Order of Operations for Study

jack.igoejack.igoe Member
in General 544 karma

Hello everyone,

I was hoping for some advice on how to study for the September LSAT. I took the June 2007 Diagnostic and scored a 158. I was at 80-85% on both the LR and RC but was at 65% for the LG section. My goal is to score in the high 160's or low 170's.

Onto my more precise question which is how I should split up my attention between materials.

My study materials
All three Powerscore Bibles
The LSAT Trainer
Manhattan LR Book
7Sage Premium + Access

My question is, what order should I work through these? Any other more general advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Congrats on the strong diagnostic test! You can absolutely hit that 170 goal of yours! :)

I'd recommend starting with 7Sage and work through the core curriculum. If you want to look at The LSAT Trainer in tandem I think that might be ok too. If you're already scoring in the high 150s on your diagnostic, I don't think Powerscore Trilogy will be of much help. After completing the core curriculum, check out Manhattan LR if you still are struggling -- I found MLSAT LR pretty helpful.

General advice: Just take your time and make sure you make the goal of your studying to reach your goal score and not to finish a certain number of prep books, practice tests, or by a certain date. Work consistently at making sure you master logic games by using the fool proof method and the LG Bundle. If you can get you LG score to 95%+ accuracy you'll likely already be close to the mid/high 160s.

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Congrats on the strong diagnostic test! You can absolutely hit that 170 goal of yours! :)

I'd recommend starting with 7Sage and work through the core curriculum. If you want to look at The LSAT Trainer in tandem I think that might be ok too. If you're already scoring in the high 150s on your diagnostic, I don't think Powerscore Trilogy will be of much help. After completing the core curriculum, check out Manhattan LR if you still are struggling -- I found MLSAT LR pretty helpful.

General advice: Just take your time and make sure you make the goal of your studying to reach your goal score and not to finish a certain number of prep books, practice tests, or by a certain date. Work consistently at making sure you master logic games by using the fool proof method and the LG Bundle. If you can get you LG score to 95%+ accuracy you'll likely already be close to the mid/high 160s.

Thanks! Any tips on how to work through both LSAT Trainer and 7Sage?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@jackigoe said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

Thanks! Any tips on how to work through both LSAT Trainer and 7Sage?

No problemo :)

As far as tips...hmmm... Looking back in hindsight, I think it is more helpful to stick to one course/book at a time when it comes to the LSAT. My reasoning is that a lot of the books/courses build onto themselves and throwing in another perspective or strategy can certainly help at times, but I found it to be more confusing when I was first starting out. My advice would be to start out with 7Sage because the logic games courses are second to none and that seems to be where you need the most work. Also, while I love The LSAT Trainer, I think the LG section is a bad place to start learning games. I learned to appreciate it once I had a solid base, however.

Then after, once you have the 7Sage strategies down, evaluate what is working and where you need more help. Then I think it makes more sense to reach for a secondary book like MLSAT or The LSAT Trainer.I tried to do the course at the same time I was going through the Trainer and when I still had some issues with certain questions I had a hard time figuring out what wasn't working.

That's my advice anyways! Seriously though, you are off to a great start with 85% accuracy on LR and RC. You have the Ultimate + course which will give you all you need! (drills, LG bundle, lessons on everything, etc)

• Colin1485Colin1485 Member
    108 karma

Like Alex mentioned, do the 7sage program, you should be good to go! Try to master the Logic Games section with perfect scores in that section, the rest kinda just flow after that.
    Tons of drills and practice test.. Recommend buying the three 10 actual lsat preptest books 42-71.. Blind Review/ pretest them all

Good luck!

• LindseyDCLindseyDC Core Member
    190 karma

I didn't like the LSAT trainer. I think the powerscores are helpful, but you don't have the mentoring like you do on here. I perused the Manhattan books, but I think their niche is really the GRE (coming from someone who has looked at taking every test including the MCAT!).

My suggestion is to really start this program and power through the core curriculum, then start the PTs. Keep the power score books handy if you don't have wifi and go through those as a supplement. Manhattan I would go through 3rd and not waste your time on the LSAT trainer.

So, in my opinion, 7sage core curriculum (you would get through it pretty fast, but just as a brush up) then PT's with the blind review would take up the majority of your day, and during the off hours and in between moments when you need to switch it up maybe a half hour to hour per day of the powerscore. (I am guessing you work or are in school when I saw this).

Good luck!

• Pink DustPink Dust Alum Member
    403 karma

Hey! I don't think the LSAT Trainer was too helpful. I went thru the CC from 7sage and then bought the Trainer thinking it would help with RC. but I read the whole thing. I think what you will learn from 7sage is pretty much the same thing.

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

Thank you everyone for all of the advice! As of right now, I'm going to work on getting through the Core Curriculum in an expedited manner and then move on to PT and either Manhattan or the Trainer depending on what seems more helpful.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

@jackigoe said:
    Thank you everyone for all of the advice! As of right now, I'm going to work on getting through the Core Curriculum in an expedited manner and then move on to PT and either Manhattan or the Trainer depending on what seems more helpful.

You'd do better to pick a single curriculum and take your time with it. You're not going to get anywhere just from covering lots and lots of material. You'll feel super productive because you'll be moving through lots of information, but you won't be absorbing it effectively.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@jackigoe said:

I think that's a great idea and I second @"Cant Get Right" 100% When I first began I definitely mistook lots of information with being productive. My only last suggestion is to avoid going through the CC in an expedited manner. Take your time and make your goal understanding and learning rather than getting through it. Take as long as you need! :)