Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scoring Significantly Higher on 2nd LR

deedsLsatdeedsLsat Free Trial Member
edited November 2014 in General 35 karma
Hi Guys,

With the December Test approaching I've noticed a weird thing that has been happening alot. I score about 20% higher on the second LR section even when the second LR is harder. Is anyone else having this problem? Any tips or suggestions? How do some of you guys who score consistently warm up your brain before taking PT's? Thanks!!

Comments

• LemonteLongLemonteLong Free Trial Member
    9 karma
    I'm scoring lower :( how do you manage to score higher? Tips?
  • deedsLsatdeedsLsat Free Trial Member
    35 karma
    im not sure, i think its about keeping focus, but certainly knowing your strengths and weaknesses help. for ex when the 5m marker comes on and i only have like 6 questions left, i tackle the ones I'm better at first
  • BD MillsBD Mills Alum Member
    35 karma
    I experience the same thing regularly. I usually score high 150s and 20/25 on LR. However, I always score a few points less on the first LR, especially within the first 5-10 questions. I also notice I'm fairly hazy when I start the exam which correlates with the lowered score.

Not sure if you experience something similar but it could very well be that you have more momentum come the 2nd LR section. I'm trying to wake up a bit earlier before my practice tests (6-630) and do a solid 30 minutes of reading prior to the test. I think it will help.
    35 karma
    Hey Mills, that sounds like a good idea. ill try it! any other tips or morning rituals are welcomed!
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    I second what Mills said. I noticed a significant improvement in my reading abilities after reading for 30 minutes prior to studying. I know some people recommend reading journals to get into LSAT mindset but I found that reading ANYTHING for me seems to work, which works out great :)
  • turnercmturnercm Alum Member 🍌
    770 karma
    Try doing a few easy LR questions as practice before you PT. That way, the first LR questions on the test aren't the first you've done that day. (I definitely recommend this the day of the exam as well!)

It also helps to give your brain time to wake up. I read somewhere that giving yourself two hours between waking up and testing should help with concentration.
    35 karma
    will definitely try that on my next PT thank you for your suggestions :)
  • K-MagnetK-Magnet Alum Member
    283 karma
    Just to reiterate what other people have written, I definitely think this sounds like the case of needing a 'warm-up'. I would see what works for you, whether warming up with LR or LG -- but just to get the brain into LSAT thinking mode.

It is great that you've noticed this now because I also think you should take this approach to the test itself -- do some warm-up questions that morning to get into the routine. Have your favorite questions ready or even fresh questions ready. But I'd say you don't need to bother even checking the right answers -- just go through the motions of LSAT thinking. It's like stretching before the race!
    35 karma
    K-Magnet,

That sounds like a good plan! Thanks you !