Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resume GPA Question

StellaBlueStellaBlue Alum Member

Hi friends!

I'm revamping my resume this morning to send to someone who's agreed to write me a recommendation. Did y'all use the GPA you graduated with, or the one that LSAC calculated for you? My LSAC GPA pushed me into a different percentile, so obviously this matters for admissions, but it feels a little dishonest to put the higher number on my resume. Thoughts? Thanks!

Comments

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

I'd use the GPA calculated by the issuing institution, personally. I wouldn't want to take the chance of being seen as deceptive, and you'll need to submit an official copy of your transcript to the LSAC for your CAS.

• StellaBlueStellaBlue Alum Member
    185 karma

That's what I figured, @goingfor99th. Thanks for the input!

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    edited June 2017 2301 karma

Yeah, I agree with @goingfor99th. I listed the GPA that my college gave me. That being said, I really think law schools only care about the LSAC GPA, which is what affects their rankings. I honestly do not even know how law schools would know what your actual GPA was. They rely on what LSAC calculates, which is a standardized GPA calculator. Thus, I really don't think it matters what you put down, schools are just going to look at the LSAC GPA.

• LSAT Is ComingLSAT Is Coming Alum Member
    530 karma

If you can work it into the formatting, maybe put both? I'm sure admissions officers are used to seeing a slight difference between the LSAC and institutional GPA, but it could come across as the tiniest bit deceptive if you list just the higher of the two. I've also been wondering about this.

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    1184 karma

Hey, I was in the same position as you and put my GPA granted by my institution, especially considering that two of my professors (one being an assistant Dean) are both writing me personal letters of recommendation. I didn't want to look like i was being deceptive at all.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@"Michelle Juma" said:
    Hey, I was in the same position as you and put my GPA granted by my institution, especially considering that two of my professors (one being an assistant Dean) are both writing me personal letters of recommendation. I didn't want to look like i was being deceptive at all.

Good point.

• Harrison_PavHarrison_Pav Alum Member
    218 karma

I would recommend calling the law school you want to go to and ask what they would rather have you put on there.

• StellaBlueStellaBlue Alum Member
    185 karma

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! It seems like the best bet is just not to risk seeming deceptive. Makes sense!

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    1184 karma

@tringo335 said:

@"Michelle Juma" said:

Good point.

Thank you:)