Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Admission Consultants

smseraj3smseraj3 Alum Member
in General 162 karma

Hey guys,

I just wanted to get your opinion on different law school admissions consultants. I want to get help with the whole application process, but I don't want to spend thousands of dollars. Does anyone know of any companies that charge reasonable prices for assistance with portions of the application process or even the entire app process?

Thanks

Comments

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

David Bussis provides help with the admissions process right here on 7sage so you could ask him directly. I believe that @"Alex Divine" is working with one as well, but I'm not sure which one.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Freddy_D said:
    David Bussis provides help with the admissions process right here on 7sage so you could ask him directly. I believe that @"Alex Divine" is working with one as well, but I'm not sure which one.

I would certainly endorse @"david.busis" over anything/anyone else out there. My buddy @"Accounts Playable" spoke very highly of him and he has immense experience with not only admissions consulting, but writing and crafting very good essays. This is a skill that is often overlooked, at least in my opinion, with the other popular admissions consultants.

Just my .02 :)

• Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma

Yes! Highly recommend @"david.busis" for essay proofreading!

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7286 karma

Hi there! Email me editors@7sage.com if you have any questions—and I'm happy to set up a free consultation.

Best,
    David

• ajcrowelajcrowel Free Trial Member
    207 karma

I used Spivey consulting services. I bit the bullet financially because I wanted a consultant to make my app stronger for scholarship consideration. I got BIG money at CCN. I had a 174 lsat and a 3.74 GPA. So I expected to get into CCN but I didn't expect to get as much money as I did (Especiallt from CC). Read into that what you will. For what's it's worth, every other T14 I got into threw good money at me too (but my no means did I get into all of the T14). Where I did get in, I got scholarship.

207 karma

I should also add that while I applied for need based aid, given my family's financial situation, it's extremely doubtful I qualified for need based aid. In fact, one of my CCN was explicitly merit only.

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

Spivey or David. Depends on your style. Consult both of them.

@ajcrowel Which package do you use? How you work with your consultant?

207 karma

I used the complete package (the one including scholarship negotiation). The consultant and I went through all of my materials and helped me make my application stronger beyond the numbers.

• kvbusbeekvbusbee Member
    99 karma

Ann Levine with Law School Expert is who I'm planning to work with on my personal statement, resume, and addendum. I found out about her through the Thinking LSAT Podcast (which I also highly recommend) and she has pages upon pages of great testimonials and success stories. Unfortunately hiring a consultant is probably going to be pricey anywhere you go. But I liked that Ann offered an "all-in" package, but also a cheaper package that just dealt with your personal state, resume, and addendums, which people usually need the most help with.

http://www.lawschoolexpert.com/

http://www.thinkinglsat.com/blog/

• danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma

I think it's very important to consider first what is most important. If it's to have the best possible written statements, then I would recommend David, both from my own personal experience and from many others.

Not sure if you know, but David went to Yale undergrad and turned down both Harvard and Yale Law School after being admitted into both, all to become a professional writer. Dude may possibly be crazy, but he was immensely and uniquely helpful and a lot of fun to work with.

P.S. He's not really crazy.

• smseraj3smseraj3 Alum Member
    162 karma

Thanks for the advice everyone!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

I worked with both @"david.busis" and a Spivey consultant. I trashed my Spivey essays and went with David's without a second thought. They were objectively better, and it wasn't even close. Former admissions officers like at Spivey are great at recognizing strong essays, but recognizing good writing is a hopelessly different task than crafting it.

1644 karma

Depends on your style.

• pbenjamin57pbenjamin57 Alum Member
    112 karma

I recently had @"david.busis" work with me on my personal statement. I am very happy with how it came out. I can't recommend David highly enough. It was a great experience working with him and I feel my PS will give me that little extra edge on my overall application. Honestly I felt I got more than what I paid 7sage for his services.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

So I've had a number of questions through PM asking specifically who my Spivey consultant was, so I just wanted to add further clarification because the point isn't that I got a shitty consultant, and I don't want to do anything to hurt their reputation specifically. They were really great with the other elements of consulting, and I really liked them personally. It's just that the essays are really about 90% of what a consultant does, and there's just no reason to expect any admissions consultant who's credentials lie exclusively in having worked in admissions offices to be a good writer. It's like expecting a literary critic to be a great novelist: It's just an entirely different skill set. So when considering a consultant, make sure that they can make a convincing case for their writing abilities--not that they've just read a ton of personal statements.

edited June 2017 1644 karma

Yet, some consultants may be good writers at the same time though. @"Cant Get Right" good point though since you have experience with both, Spivey and David.If I have sufficient budget, I will use both. not kidding:) Choose the one you would most comfortable with as long as the one can help you brainstorm. Finally, a solid LSAT is the first goal.