Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic bubbling errors

CinnamonTeaCinnamonTea Member
in General 550 karma

Hi all,

I have an issue that is beyond frustrating. Approximately 50% of the PT's I take, I make between 1--3 bubbling errors. Obviously, this is very problematic for my score as well as confidence. Does anyone else have this issue, and how do they solve it? (Please read the below to see what I've already done)

Typically I bubble by page (I find bubbling each question individually takes too much time and ruins my "flow"), but at the end of each page I read each question number back in my mind and the letter I circled (i.e, "#10 - C, #11 - D, #12 - A" etc). This has helped get my bubbling errors down to the -1 range, but not always.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    553 karma

Omg this is me. What I did to fix it was A) relax during the test, as this mainly happens when I stress n Spazz out. And B) make a conscious effort to just recheck answers. It takes no more than a second or two.

Don't worry, very fixable problem.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@CinnamonTea said:
    Hi all,

I have an issue that is beyond frustrating. Approximately 50% of the PT's I take, I make between 1--3 bubbling errors. Obviously, this is very problematic for my score as well as confidence. Does anyone else have this issue, and how do they solve it? (Please read the below to see what I've already done)

Typically I bubble by page (I find bubbling each question individually takes too much time and ruins my "flow"), but at the end of each page I read each question number back in my mind and the letter I circled (i.e, "#10 - C, #11 - D, #12 - A" etc). This has helped get my bubbling errors down to the -1 range, but not always.

Thanks in advance!

Do you use a bubbling sheet when you do your drill work? If not, then you definitely should! It really helps when you have practice outside of stressful PTs. It really can become second nature.

What typically is causing these bubble errors, especially if you are double checking?

• CinnamonTeaCinnamonTea Member
    550 karma

Hi @"Alex Divine", I always use a bubble sheet. I don't know what's causing these bubbling errors, but perhaps my method of checking. Perhaps the check itself is not thorough, careful, or calm enough. Maybe I should put my finger on what I penciled in on the bubble sheet as I read out the answer on the test booklet in my mind?

I often find that I accidentally mix up two answers (i.e., if the answer for #10=B and #11=D I will write #10=D and #11=B) OR that I am off by just one letter (i.e., I bubble B instead of C).

Beyond frustrating.

550 karma

What is the most frustrating part is that even WITH the check I am misbubbling on average 1 per test!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@CinnamonTea Yeah, from you've described it sounds like you just need to be more calm and careful. Definitely use your pencil/finger to make contact with every answer you check. I think I subconsciously use my pencils to just ensure that I'm checking the right questions #.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Maybe you should consider bubbling after each answer. I know you said that it interrupts your flow, but perhaps that's not as bad as making the bubbling mistakes.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited June 2017 13286 karma

This sounds like the name of a progressive Indy band. The Chronic Bubbling Errors will go on tour next week and are sure to play their #1 hit "I Had to Pee during Section 4"

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Slow down! I misbubble occassionally when I go too fast.

Also, try singing the answers in a short jingle to yourself. Four of the five letters rhyme with each other so I'm sure you could think of something. And it's mandatory to break into that Jackson 5 when you get an A-B-C consecutively.

550 karma
  • fmihalic2fmihalic2 Free Trial Member
    266 karma

Hahaha I've done this before. I bubble each question one by one for LR and each game/passage in the other sections.

When I make a bubbling error it's because I've rushed..I.e. The clock has gotten into my head. Remember, you are in charge, not the clock! This mindset has really helped me but maybe I'm insane.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited June 2017 9377 karma

I think you have to practice to make sure that it will never happen again. (What if you miss precious two points on the test day because of this!? You can't let that happen!! I don't want to let that happen to you!!)

I think you should try this: the left index finger on the question number, the left thumb on the AC you chose, and the right hand on corresponding line on the bubble sheet (This is what J.Y. is recommending).

This is how I bubble:
    http://imgur.com/oeLZAhh

Here I'm bubbling Q15-Q22. I will alway try to go from "left-top, left-down, right-top, right-down." On average, I am spending 20 seconds per 8 questions.

@CinnamonTea said:
    I often find that I accidentally mix up two answers (i.e., if the answer for #10=B and #11=D I will write #10=D and #11=B) OR that I am off by just one letter (i.e., I bubble B instead of C).

I was also making exactly the same bubbling errors as you described above. I now use this technique (?) I described, and I think I'm not making any errors now.

I recommend that you only practice bubbling for like 30 minutes using an old PT you did (with circles).

• AnthonyScaliaAnthonyScalia Alum Member
    330 karma

I have trouble with this too. My strategy is usually to actually put the bubble sheet on my questions, and slide the sheet down so it's right next to the answer I'm filling in.

The proximity makes it harder to make silly mistakes, and it may also save a small amount of time since you're not repeatedly looking back and forth.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    This sounds like the name of a progressive Indy band. The Chronic Bubbling Errors will go on tour next week and are sure to play their #1 hit "I Had to Pee during Section 4"

http://imgur.com/MtawxcX

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@akistotle said:

@LSATcantwin said:

http://imgur.com/MtawxcX

This is gold. If it were reddit it would actually be reddit gold worthy

• kvbusbeekvbusbee Member
    99 karma

Ahhhhh this is definitely me too. I've done this on several practice tests, and on the most recent test 5 or 6 of my answers ended up being off before I noticed my question number and bubble sheet number didn't correspond. I wasted a couple minutes by having to go back and find which answer I made the mistake on and then had to erase, re-bubble, and re-check. Nightmare. Thanks for everyone's tips above!

550 karma

Thank you so much everyone above, especial @akistotle for the helpful picture and the meme, and @Anthony_Mahmud !

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

It's also worth "mouthing" what you are bubbling. Almost like you are saying the combination inaudibly.

Ex :

Look at question 1, circled AC D
    "Mouth 1-D"
    Look at bubble sheet while still repeating "1-D
    Then, as you begin to bubble.. slowly repeat 1-D so you know you're on question 1, and then say D as you bubble that choice in.

I think confidence might play a role in this as well. You've identified it as a problem, so subliminally (or consciously even) you're worried about bubbling wrong which might cause issues. Just believe in yourself!