Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Is it useful? - 7Sage Forum

Is it useful?

kH573201kH573201 Alum Member
in General 115 karma

Hey guys!

I hope everyone is well and enjoying their summer. I just wanted to throw this out there and see what you guys think...

I’m finding diagramming really difficult. (My brain is almost “shutting down” when I see the symbols and arrows.) It’s making things less concrete and turning it into a math problem. I’ve tried it during my practice and going through the lessons, but when I actually go to do problem sets, I find that diagramming really isn’t helping- it’s easier for me to read the stimulus slowly, label the conclusion and premises and then find the answer choice. I feel like I have a better understanding of the text that way.

So what’s the deal? Will not diagramming really cause me issues on test day? Is knowing how to take the negation and contrapositive of something really going to help? The only part of the test I could see diagramming helping would be the LG section….

Thanks!
xo

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    edited June 2017 3279 karma

Have you taken a timed practice exam? If you're already doing well, then no need to change your approach. I haven't met anyone that can effectively implement the strategy you're using, but if it works for you...

Edit: Ignore my reply. I skimmed your post, and mistakenly thought you were only referencing LG.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@kH573201 Hey! The goal isn't to diagram each question. You won't even be able to diagram everything so don't worry. This stuff is supposed to be intuitive, believe that or not. Diagramming comes in handy when you're stuck and spinning your wheels. You won't have time to diagram everything during the real deal anyway. I think you definitely need to know it just in case but I would say you're worried about the wrong thing. Keep chugging as you are. If you get to timed PT and see that there's really no difference in your performance I say keep it moving!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tanes256 said:
    @kH573201 Hey! The goal isn't to diagram each question. You won't even be able to diagram everything so don't worry. This stuff is supposed to be intuitive, believe that or not. Diagramming comes in handy when you're stuck and spinning your wheels. You won't have time to diagram everything during the real deal anyway. I think you definitely need to know it just in case but I would say you're worried about the wrong thing. Keep chugging as you are. If you get to timed PT and see that there's really no difference in your performance I say keep it moving!

Yeah, this is correct.

When I first was learning LR, I would diagram a handful of questions on each section. Now, I might diagram 2 LR questions per test. Usually longer parallel flaw questions ....

I wouldn't worry too much about it. However, I think diagramming on BR is very important, especially when you are learning. So even if it takes forever, keep practicing diagramming on BR so it helps it become intuitive, which is the goal anyway. > @kH573201 said:

Hey guys!

I hope everyone is well and enjoying their summer. I just wanted to throw this out there and see what you guys think...

I’m finding diagramming really difficult. (My brain is almost “shutting down” when I see the symbols and arrows.) It’s making things less concrete and turning it into a math problem. I’ve tried it during my practice and going through the lessons, but when I actually go to do problem sets, I find that diagramming really isn’t helping- it’s easier for me to read the stimulus slowly, label the conclusion and premises and then find the answer choice. I feel like I have a better understanding of the text that way.

So what’s the deal? Will not diagramming really cause me issues on test day? Is knowing how to take the negation and contrapositive of something really going to help? The only part of the test I could see diagramming helping would be the LG section….

Thanks!
    xo

I definitely think you need to know how to properly diagram. You certainly won't ever have time to diagram more than a handful at most per section, but it is important you are able to and understand the skills needed. The fact you're having trouble means you need to go back and learn the fundamentals that are giving you trouble. These skills are important on so many different questions. Knowing how to take the negation and contrapositive are two basic skills that you definitely need to know.

You don't really want to be relying on intuition at this phase of your study. When you know how to diagram properly, it allows one to then begin to build the skills to "do the question in their head.." Similar to how you need to first understand what 2+2=4 means before you can do it in your head.

Also, diagramming during BR is very important, especially when you are learning. So even if it takes forever, keep practicing diagramming on BR so it helps it become intuitive, which is the goal anyway.

When I first was learning LR, I would diagram a handful of questions on each section. Now, I might diagram 2 LR questions per test. Usually longer parallel flaw questions.

• kH573201kH573201 Alum Member
    115 karma

Thank you guys so much! I'm going to start diagramming more often to start getting the hang of it. Hopefully it starts making some sense!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@kH573201 said:
    Thank you guys so much! I'm going to start diagramming more often to start getting the hang of it. Hopefully it starts making some sense!

It can take a while before it comes naturally, but I promise it is well worth it. Before long, you'll be able to go quicker with the skills you'll be learning and understanding at a deeper level.

Good luck :)