Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"or" rule vs "not both" rule

LSATPWNAGELSATPWNAGE Alum Member
edited November 2014 in General 43 karma
Could someone please try to explain this to me. I feel so stupid getting tripped up on this one.

Comments

• JedediaDanielJedediaDaniel Member
    15 karma
    I was having a really difficult time with this as well, but then something stared to click for me. Hopefully I can explain it properly.

When dealing with an 'or' rule, we need to have at least one of the options included... so, for example:
    /J -> F

/J, then we must select F to have one of the options included.
    J, then we are free to included F or /F, because we have already included one of our options, the other one may join, or not - the rule floats away

/F, then we must include J to have one of our options included.
    F, then we are free to included J or /J, because we have already included one of our options, the other one may join, or not - the rule floats away.

For the 'not both' rule, we can only have up to one of the options included...
    So, for example:
    J -> /F

J, then we must select /F, as we have no more room to fit F
    /J, then we may select F or /F, as we can either fill it, or leave it empty - our rule floats away

F, then we must select /J, as we have no more room to fit J
    /F, then we may select F or /F, as we can either fill it or leave it empty - our rules floats away.

I think the biggest breakthrough for me was that 'or' rules imply a minimum of one, while 'not both' implies a maximum of one.

Hopefully that was of some help - if not, Sorry!
  • LSATPWNAGELSATPWNAGE Alum Member
    43 karma
    Awesome! Thanks. Especially the last bit about min/max helped a lot.