Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lsat pattern

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
edited November 2014 in December 2014 LSAT 578 karma
I gear people saying if you find the pattern in LR your score will increase. What the hell? What pattern?

Comments

• Vriver01Vriver01 Alum Member
    60 karma
    I would like to know this too!
  • K-MagnetK-Magnet Alum Member
    283 karma
    The pattern is about noticing the true 'replicability' of the test itself. It is standardized -- there are not huge differences between the tests.

Similar reasoning & heck, even very similar content, appear again & again. Why? Because it's standardized. LSAT cannot have potentially non-PC material; instead, we see the same sort of 'boring' content (at the most base level of 'patterning')... i.e. traffic accidents, dinosaurs, etc.

At more nuanced levels of patterning, you begin to see the repeat of lawgic. Note the valid & invalid lessons from JY. Again & again, the same wrong answer choices (invalid reasoning) appear.

And at an even more nuanced level, you recall patterns of particular types of reasoning between tests.... i.e. this question reminds me of another question from PrepTest XX. This is what we are after -- the recognition of the repeated 'pattern' & us being able to tackle that pattern with our own skill-set. The skills are about recognition (what type of Q is this? what will the 4 wrong ACs look like? what will the one right AC look like? have I done this before?) and application (tuning into your own rhythm for the test).

There isn't one pattern -- it is the pattern as YOU see it. Through developing knowledge & skills from 7sage and others, you develop your own 'rhythm' for answering questions. Your 'rhythm' is your particular approach. It's a parallel reasoning Q, what do you do? It's a grouping game, are you ready for the set-up? etc etc. You are very unlikely to see anything drastically new -- so the similar rhythm you develop should be applied to each test. And do NOT let one oddball question mess up the rhythm.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    It's true ^.
    Similar reasoning is there throughout. There are questions that actually replicate themselves... but they throw in a different scenario. But it looks the same.
    Such as a question for Flaw... when they say, the whole company is amazing because each individual person is amazing.

The flaw is in the fact that just because each individual piece is something (amazing) doesn't mean it makes the company as a whole amazing.
    Then they'd just switch amazing.. and company.. for something else, but it'll still be the same argument.

And the content does repeat. A loooooot.
  • joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    802 karma
    Ha ya, you can just about guarantee there will be at least one question about either crime rates using absolute numbers and percentages to throw you, or traffic fatalities and speed limits. The questions are almost formulaic. This is particularly useful if you know from your PTs that you just suck at one of the pattern questions. When you see it, scan it, guess, move on. Use the time on something else.

The patterns are very helpful. You get to see them by deeply reviewing lots of PTs. The BR helps with this a bunch and so does drilling. The more you see, the more patterns you'll find.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    SO true. And Heart Disease FOR SURE. Without fail.
    Caffeine causes HD.
    Smoking causes HD.
    Vit helps HD.

GEEZE.
  • JengibreJengibre Member
    383 karma
    Agreed. The content repeats so much I've started seeking out documentaries on volcanoes. Subject matter matters.
  • James RayJames Ray Alum Member
    186 karma
    I have seen multiple questions on zoos and plankton also.
  • KristinaKristina Alum Member
    edited December 2014 68 karma
    Let's not forget artifacts/archaeology.