Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stuck at 170 for 1 year

bethbethbethbeth Member
in General 23 karma

Hi all,

I've been stuck between 168- 171 on my practice tests. It does not matter if I do them timed or untimed, I've been stuck at this level for 1 year, despite my best efforts of taking the PowerScore advanced LR course, drilling, taking 30 exams or so with blind review, doing explanations of questions myself, etc. I am planning on taking the exam in September and would like to give myself a +/- 3 cushion, so achieving a 173 consistently prior to test day is my goal. Any suggestions on how to improve?

I am missing usually 3-4 on each LR, 2 on RC, and 1 on LG.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2017 23929 karma

Definitely focus on LR, there are 2 sections, so if you can get that 3-4 misses down to 1-2, you'll be where you want to be.

I was stuck missing between 4-5 for a long, long time. It wasn't until I revised JY's lessons on valid/invalid argument forms and began skipping questions more aggressively. I find that when I skip more aggressively, I can finish the section much sooner and have way more time to go back and spend on the hard questions. If your skills are good and fundamentals are there, sometimes more time is all you need to get those curve breakers. If you're still getting these questions wrong even untimed as you mention, I would focus on seeing if there is any pattern with the LR questions you are missing.

• partyondudespartyondudes Alum Member
    424 karma

@bethbeth have you recorded yourself taking a PT? Is timing an issue for you?

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27853 karma

The fact that you do the same whether you're timed or untimed suggests something fundamental. Why are you missing the questions you're missing? What is the underlying thread to your errors? That's what you've got to figure out. I'd bet you're making the same two or three mistakes over and over. In order to correct them, you've just got to identify them.