Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinions on retaking

WillJayKWillJayK Alum Member
in General 163 karma

Hi, i received 170 on the 3rd LSAT last October. As of April i have requested for a deferral for 1 year.

Recently i heard the news that LSAC removed the restriction to take tests for 3 times in a 2year time-frame.

I am planning on working as a paralegal and retaking the LSAT for re-negotiating my scholarship option.

I have two questions and i will greatly appreciate assistance if anyone can give me 2cents.

1. Is it likely that i may receive higher amount of scholarship from the school i have requested for deferral, assuming that I score higher?

2. Anyone with an idea of strategy from 170 to 172+? my track record has been 164->170.

Comments

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I'm a KJD applying this cycle so I can't offer all that much advice on your first question. It probably depends on how locked in you are by the deferral. Are you allowed to apply to different schools? If not, you don't have a lot of leverage, though it would still be worth a try.

Second, I recieved a 172 on the February test and am retaking in September aiming to get a higher score. I have PT'd between 174 and 180 over the past couple weeks. For me the difference was just fixing my weekest section, logic games. Until a couple weeks ago I had never had a PT with a perfect logic games section, but was already testing near perfect on the other sections.

So depending on the breakdown of your scores it could be as simple as fixing one section. I am fixing it through foolproofing logic games. It's working, but I still struggle on the games sometimes. When I finish them though, it is a substantial relief which take the pressure off me for the rest of the test. My first perfect logic games section during a PT also ended up being my first 180. Doing slightly better on the other sections was probably at least partially the result of that relief.

If your breakdown is more balanced, my main advice would be to take lots of PT's, blind review them, and look for a pattern in your mistakes. If you realize you have a weak question type after finding a pattern in your PT's then drill that specific question for a while. If not just keep PTing and blind reviewing.

Obviously, the difference between a 170 and a 172 could be as small as two questions and could come down to making one or two less stupid mistakes or for me, nailing one of the first two logic games a hair faster and being able to take your time on the later ones.

If you have a choice I would recommend not taking the February test since it is annoying not to know what questions you missed.

• WillJayKWillJayK Alum Member
    163 karma

@"Seeking Perfection"sorry for a bit late reply. but million thanks:)