Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Logical Reasoning questions and diagramming

mzoodlemzoodle Member
in General 226 karma

I am almost done learning LR as part of the CC. JY uses diagrams often, when explaining the answers. So far, I am doing really well without using any diagrams. Does this mean I am naturally good at LR,or do most people not use diagrams?

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@mzoodle said:
    I am almost done learning LR as part of the CC. JY uses diagrams often, when explaining the answers. So far, I am doing really well without using any diagrams. Does this mean I am naturally good at LR,or do most people not use diagrams?

I think the tendency is to not diagram at all. I do it very rarely, only on extremely conditional statement heavy stimuli. JY diagrams the questions to help explain them to us. I highly doubt he does all that detailed work while taking the test. He reads, finds conclusion, finds support, gets and idea what the answer is, picks it and moves on.

Diagraming when you don't need to is a waste valuable time.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I don't know if that indicates you being naturally good at LR. Diagraming is supposed to just make things more visually clear, it's not at all necessary and is only there to assist you if needed.

Tbh, I think it is so much easier to diagram stimuli that has an excessive amount of most, some, only, etc statements though, but that's just me.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2017 23929 karma

@mzoodle said:

Hard to say... Have you done any of the harder conditional heavy LR questions? In any case, you're probably in a good spot if you are doing well. I probably diagram 1-2 LR questions per test. However, during BR I take my time and diagram out many of the conditional heavy questions as a rhetorical exercise.

I'm actually not sure what most people do, but I think as one gets better at LR, they tend to diagram less. I know I used to diagram quite a lot when I was first learning, but overtime I've definitely tried to reserve that for only the longest and hardest conditional heavy stims.