Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low Score 2 Years Ago

aenglis4aenglis4 Member
edited August 2017 in General 12 karma

Hi friends,

So I took the LSAT two years ago (October 2015) and scored pretty terribly. I had definitely underestimated the test, and foolishly thought that taking a two-week intensive course just a month before would set me up nicely. In the week counting down I was PTing at about 150 and for whatever reason, was content with this score. I ended up getting blown apart on test day, scoring a 145 officially. I was pretty devastated, and at that point realized that I needed to approach the test much more seriously than I had been.

In the end I got cold feet and didn't apply to any law schools, instead entering a Masters program. Law has always been my end game, and two years later, nearing the end of my Masters, I'm making a push to write again. I think I'm on pace to bring myself over the 160 hump if I stay at it -- PTed at 157 Sunday evening -- but am worried that in the end, my old score will deter schools from accepting me. I'm wondering if anyone is able to either provide me some assurance that there is yet hope, or otherwise, let me know if I've got the odds stacked against me. If it helps to gauge my chances, I'm from Canada, which I understand has much fewer schools and is thus very limited.

My GPA is solid (3.7), I have strong academic and professional references, and think I have some good soft creds with my Masters, sports involvement, and volunteering. How do you think I would fare with two scores of 145 and (hopefully) 160-165? Your insights would be very much appreciated!

AE

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Most law schools, with the exception of Yale, only look at your BEST LSAT score. It will not hurt you in any real significant way to apply with two scores, one lower than the other. Law schools are only required to report your highest score, therefore that is the one they care about.

Get yourself that 165, apply to some great schools and chase your dream!

• usernameusername Alum Member
    276 karma

Law schools are now only required to report the top LSAT score when reporting their acceptance statistics. This is a change from the previous policy. The result seems to be that the first score has little to no effect on acceptance rates. Now, none of us know exactly what admissions officers weight different things at, but there have been regressions done on available statistics and having a shitty first take was shown to have no statistically significant influence. So, don't even think about your previous score going ahead. It's not terribly relevant.

That being said, at least one school I know encourages applicants to write an addendum explaining the score bump in any situation where there is a 3+ point gap.

side note: this is all in ref. to American schools. Idk anything about the Canadian situation.

• aenglis4aenglis4 Member
    12 karma

Hey @LSATcantwin and @username,

Thanks a bunch for your prompt responses. I feel reassured and have some peace of mind knowing that I won't be weighed down by the old score. Much appreciated!