Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It works!

nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
edited August 2017 in General 1723 karma

I just finished grading PT71,(drumroll), i got a 173!!! And a 178 BR. Got that little email from JY and Dillon.
Stick to the BR, be intense in the review, and drill drill drill.
Studying just got a hell of a lot more fun!!
Sorry i dont mean to sound like a show off, but when i told my family.. they didnt really understand what the big deal was and how much work it took coming from a diagnostic of an inflated 148

Comments

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

congrats! :)

• Victoria14Victoria14 Alum Member
    776 karma

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Great improvement- especially on a PT70s exam!

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

Nice, Nate!

• HshutterHshutter Alum Member
    90 karma

WOOO!

• Jacob_Seidel5Jacob_Seidel5 Member
    20 karma

This is awesome. Gives hope to all the people out like myself who got a pretty low diagnostic score!

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Fantastic! Keep up the hard work, it's obviously paying off. If the score fluctuates don't get discouraged. At the 168-175 range each improvement is marked by 1-2 questions. Some tests might push you up higher and some might bring you down a bit. The most important thing is YOU KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!

Woooo!!!

• Gladiator_2017Gladiator_2017 Yearly Member
    1332 karma

Congrats!!! Thanks for posting! It's always encouraging to see progress!

Now on my way to the library to drill.

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

Thanks for all support fam!!
    I know everyone is searching for that silver bullet, and many say it doesnt exist, but from personal experience: individual timed sections and drilling specific question types are the closest thing to a silver bullet that can be found on this exam.
    If you havent tried them, give it a shot.
    If you have tried them, stick to it

P.S. seriously dont rush to PT when you are out of the CC, take your time build that foundation b4 rushing into a monster of an exam. This will save you time, resources, and heartache

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@nathanieljschwartz said:
    Thanks for all support fam!!
    I know everyone is searching for that silver bullet, and many say it doesnt exist, but from personal experience: individual timed sections and drilling specific question types are the closest thing to a silver bullet that can be found on this exam.

I totally agree that drilling is a great way to improve

• NikkkkkkkNikkkkkkk Live Member
    249 karma

Congratulations! Which section did you improve the most on, and how did you do it?

• KillmongerKillmonger Alum Member
    332 karma

Hey this gave me a little more fuel to my already very lit fire! good job and thanks for sharing.

• charles27charles27 Alum Member
    136 karma

Congrats man! That's amazing! Can you share some exact things you did and tips? Thanks!

• charles27charles27 Alum Member
    136 karma
    1723 karma

U guys rock!!. Of course the most important thing is to moniter your BR scores bc that is gonna determine your theroretical max

1723 karma

I am firmly of the beleif that you should get your BR score to 172-176 regardless of what you hope for on the actual test (and if i am capable of it than anyone is.. beleive me im thick as a brick).
    The reason for this is that it will give you more breathing room in the actual test and a bit of a cushion.
    Also being comfortable with every aspect of the test will.give you a huge confidence boost which,behind a firm grasp of fundemantals,IMO is the most important thing when walking into the testing center. Iknow this from experience, as i took the dec. 2016 exam wout that confidence and here i am studying for 8 months after that.
    DRILLS AND TIMED SECTIONS will build this confidence and help with anxiety

• Felix MendezFelix Mendez Alum Member
    60 karma

Hey man first of all congratulations. Thats a big accomplishment. My goal is to emulate you. I started out with a 143 diagnostic and I'm now at 160. But I'm trying to get to that coveted 170. Can you please explain in detail your process for drilling and BR? Like in BR do you not leave a question until you know the answer? or at what point do you just watch the video explanation? And of course whats your process for drilling? Do you only do timed individual sections? And if so how many sections a day? Basically give me any info possible pls lol

• IgnatiusIgnatius Alum Member
    382 karma

Awesome job, man. You're gonna kill it! I wish only the highest possible score for all y'all 7sagers.

1723 karma

Hey @"Felix Mendez" im not worried youll get there, so i am very strict with making sure i do one timed LR, RC, and at least 2 new LGs erryday.
    I generally do the LR and then after a 5 min break i hit the RC, but then i BR the RC before i BR the LR, this just gives my brain time to marinate lol. Seems to work. The way i drill is: i take 20-30 of a specific question type and break them into groups of 5 and intersperse them throughout my study day the first day or two i do them untimed and make sure i am locating the conclusion, then premises, and then flaw or whatever the stem is asking for.
    (For flaw, strengthen, and weaken, and parrallel flaw i make sure to prephrase what i am likely to see in the AC or at least envision why this argument sucks)
    After however long i graduate to timed sections of 5s, and if i am not hitting 85% of the answer in under a minute or so ( again depending on the q type i go back to untimed drills).
    BR is painful. I cannot leave the question until i get why the AC is 100% correct and why the others are garbage. This takes awhile, but i saw a huge jump in my POE skills in 2 or 3 weeks of this.
    I also inly PT once every 1.5 -2 weeks so nothing is rushed.

• Felix MendezFelix Mendez Alum Member
    60 karma

@nathanieljschwartz Thanks for the information, really appreciate. It's obviously worked for you so I'm going to try it, see if it can rub off and me too. Couple more questions though. So for picking the questions do you just go to question bank, look for a specific question type, and randomly select from there?
    And for untimed do you only look for premises, conclusion and prophase what you're thinking you're gonna see or do you also try to find the answer? Or do you leave finding the answer for timed? Thanks again

1723 karma

I only drill question types that i dont feel confident in. ( a telltale sign that you need to drill a question type is if you hope you dont see it on the test)
    I try to only drill question types from PT 1-20. I use this for the fundemantals.
    I drill full sections from 20-50
    And 51 till 80 are for full PTs

And i do search for the answer during untimed sections

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

This is great. I admire your persistence, drive and humility. Kudos to you homie.

• This is totally awesome! Way to go!!!

1723 karma

Keep pushing. Hope everyone is setting their alarms for 3.00 am for those morning LR sections!!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Good stuff! I'm so happy for you @nathanieljschwartz ! :)

• The NoodleyThe Noodley Alum Member
    662 karma

this is amazing! congrats!

• BumblebeeBumblebee Member
    640 karma

@nathanieljschwartz
    WOW! Congratulations! I was very encouraged to read your post and your kind comments on what methods you employed to achieve such a remarkable score. I had planned on jumping fast into PT's but decided to take your advice about the 'silver bullet' of doing drills & timed sections.
    You wrote that you follow the strict schedule of doing 1 LR section 1RC and 2 games everyday. Does that include LR question type drilling?
    Could you tell me the difference between Question Type drilling and doing full-timed sections?
    Do you recommend that I use the LR Question Type drilling first, if I'm just coming out of the CC? I am debating whether I should jump right into timed sections or work with question types.
    THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!
    May the FORCE be with you!

• SeraephinaSeraephina Live Member
    124 karma

so proud of you :)

• Grey WardenGrey Warden Alum Member
    813 karma

This is amazing, shows how perseverance can pay off; more power to you @nathanieljschwartz
    I am stuck at the mid 160s plateau with a 176-180 br and needed to hear your story so that i keep going :)

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

Woot woot! Love hearing these stories! Congrats!

• YouCanDoItYouCanDoIt Alum Member
    30 karma

Wow, congrats!

1723 karma

Hey @LSATlife , i would try some full timed sections in order to get a feel for which questions u aren't as comfy with, and than drill those

1723 karma

@"Grey Warden" that is fantastic to have such a high BR. Shows that you are taking the right approach with the test. What does your skipping strategy look like? How much time do u finish each section w?

1723 karma

Thanks @Seraephina !!!!

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma

That is excellent! Keep up the good work

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

great job! @nathanieljschwartz