Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Prep Tests have five sections?

Disha MehtaDisha Mehta Member
in General 56 karma

Hi, can someone please tell me which PTs have five sections? I checked that PT 72 doesn't. I have only been doing PTs with four sections so far.

Comments

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

They all only have 4 scored sections, none will come with 5 scored sections.

On test day, you will be given 4 scored sections and 1 experimental section. The exp section is not scored, which is why when LSAC releases PTs they only have 4 sections.

If you want to do a 5 section PT, just take an additional section from another PT for the PT you are doing to add up to 5.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

No PTs have 5 sections.
    If it has 5 sections, then it is not a PT.
    Unless it is not a PT, it does not have 5 sections.
    Some things have 5 sections but PTs do not.
    If it is a PT, it does not have 5 sections.

The actual test has 5 sections because one of those sections is an experimental section which will not be scored. When PTs are released, that experimental section is excluded. What some of us do to account for the length of the real PT, is use a section from a PT we have already taken to reach 5 sections.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

Got scooped by Mikey. If you want to do a 5 section test, then you have to add a section from a different PT.

4196 karma

@Freddy_D said:
    Got scooped by Mikey. If you want to do a 5 section test, then you have to add a section from a different PT.

Scoooooooped :D

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

lol

• Disha MehtaDisha Mehta Member
    56 karma

Okay, thanks guys :)

• AnthonyScaliaAnthonyScalia Alum Member
    330 karma

Is there any data on the frequency/pattern of experimental sections?

I'm hoping for LG, will be content with LR, and as absolutely dreading the possibility of two RC sections. I'd be shocked if there wasn't a tangible performance drop in tests where there are two RC passages within the first three sections.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@AJordanMD said:

I'm hoping for LG, will be content with LR, and as absolutely dreading the possibility of two RC sections. I'd be shocked if there wasn't a tangible performance drop in tests where there are two RC passages within the first three sections.

From experience two RC sucks. Badly. I was fortunate enough to have this test make up during the Sep. 2016 test....

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@AJordanMD said:

No, unfortunately to my knowledge there is not. Everyone will get a random experimental section on test day. So while you may have LG, the person right next to you may very well end up with an extra RC (ouch!)

2983 karma

I love me some RC, but having two RC sections would be a bloodbath :scream:

4196 karma

@AJordanMD said:

If I'm right, then I believe there is an experimental section of all LR, LG and RC each test administration... At least this has been my observation from the past 2 years of LSAT administrations and seeing people talk on TLS and some on here.

It's just luck and random (because of where you sit in the room, I guess) of which experimental section you will get and in what order.

4196 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@AJordanMD said:

From experience two RC sucks. Badly. I was fortunate enough to have this test make up during the Sep. 2016 test....

I had back to back RC in June 2016. It was bad. But that was when I was even worse at RC, and now, I wouldn't be too mind fucked by it to be honest, even if it still is my worst section.

Overall, it sucks though lol. Well, RC in general sucks so.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Freddy_D said:

Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I don't mind RC at all as a section, heck, I even enjoy it somewhat. Even still, it takes far too much mental capacity that if I had 2 I'd probably be running lower than usual on mental stamina. I'm going to make sure I practice just this scenario just in case!

4196 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I don't mind RC at all as a section, heck, I even enjoy it somewhat. Even still, it takes far too much mental capacity that if I had 2 I'd probably be running lower than usual on mental stamina. I'm going to make sure I practice just this scenario just in case!

I had section 3 and 4 as RC in June 2016. It wasn't as bad since the break was between both, but still, 2 RC sections sucked ass either way.

2983 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@Freddy_D said:

Same, brotha. I plan on putting 2 or 3 RC sections in my PTs. Gotta hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.