Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Letters of Rec.

kH573201kH573201 Alum Member
in General 115 karma

Hey guys!
Just curious, what's the take on letters of recommendation for graduate students?

Do students get letters from graduate professors or should we go back to our undergraduate professors and hope they remember you? Since our undergraduate grades are the ones that count for admissions, should we ask undergrad profs?

In my case, I went to a grad program that had professors that basically SUCKED and it's literally like pulling teeth to get them to do ANYTHING. I'd probably have a better shot getting a better letter from my undergrad school.

I'd love to hear opinions!

Thanks!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@kH573201 said:
    Hey guys!
    Just curious, what's the take on letters of recommendation for graduate students?

Do students get letters from graduate professors or should we go back to our undergraduate professors and hope they remember you? Since our undergraduate grades are the ones that count for admissions, should we ask undergrad profs?

In my case, I went to a grad program that had professors that basically SUCKED and it's literally like pulling teeth to get them to do ANYTHING. I'd probably have a better shot getting a better letter from my undergrad school.

I'd love to hear opinions!

Thanks!

LORs from your UG professors are ideally what you want to get.

• mmbarros.brmmbarros.br Member
    33 karma

Really?? I was hoping to ask my grad professors, since they have chronologically seem my "best" self. Either way I 'd assume that it doesn't matter as long as the professor can attest to your academic abilities in an authoritative manner, meaning that they have actually interacted with you….

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I think it would be fine to get a grad professor to write you one tbh. You should try to get the other one from an UG prof though.

But since you said you'd like it better to get your LORs from UG profs, just do that! :)