Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Early??

CurlyQQQCurlyQQQ Alum Member

Studying for the February 2018 LSAT anyone else? Am I the first to post? Is it necessary to study for this long period of time? Will anyone ever see my topic? Find out next year!

Comments

• shanedridershanedrider Alum Member
    156 karma

5 months is generally a good amount of time to study for an LSAT. You can never start too early, however. The best day to start was yesterday!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@CurlyQQQ said:
    Studying for the February 2018 LSAT anyone else? Am I the first to post? Is it necessary to study for this long period of time? Will anyone ever see my topic? Find out next year!

Is it necessary, no. You can take the test without studying at all. Sure it's a terrible idea, but I would bet most people take this test with minimal or no prep.

I think 5-6 months is a reasonable amount of time to prep if you can dedicate 20+ hours a week to studying. However, you must consider where you're starting from and where you want to end. Someone beginning at a 162 will likely need less time to prep to hit a 168 then someone beginning from a 155 aiming for a 174. I may consider taking in February if I'm scoring at where I want to be. I think the best thing to do is to have a date you aim to take but be prepared to change that date if you still aren't scoring where you want to be. This test will arguably be the largest factor in determining your legal career. Don't rush it :)

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

It really, really depends, as Alex points out. Personally, for my goals and abilities, it was not. It took me about a year and a half. But I wanted a 170, and wasn't smart enough to do it any faster, lol. I got there through hard work and lots of it, as well as figuring out how to study for the LSAT effectively which is actually a really hard skill to develop.

• J.CHRIS.ALSTJ.CHRIS.ALST Alum Member
    399 karma

I'm also studying for Feb 2018 test. However, I put in 2 months of studying about 20-30 hours a week this summer while looking for jobs, as I just graduated this past Spring. Because I knew that I wouldn't be able to to study as much once I got a job, I felt that getting the basics down in those two months was essential - I went through all three Power Score bibles and a fair amount of drilling, but had to take a month off because of a new job and moving etc. Now that I am working, my goal is to get above 15 hours each week for then next 5 months. Whether that will be enough to get the score I want... who knows. I'm very much so set on studying for this thing until I get the score I want, rather than sticking to a date at all costs. :smile:

• Nedra C.Nedra C. Alum Member
    57 karma

Hi! I'm also studying for the February 2018 LSAT. However, I haven't officially registered to take it yet. I work full time, and I just moved to a new area, so I'm just going to take it day by day. If the February LSAT Registration deadline comes around and I feel like I'm not ready yet, I'm going to keep studying and take the June one instead. :)

• CurlyQQQCurlyQQQ Alum Member
    295 karma

@"Nedra C." Haha why do I feel like I just read an autobiography? I feel the exact same way, I just moved to a new area and I work full time also. I'm no longer stressing over when I take the test. I'm just going to grind as much as I can and take it when I'm ready."

• joel.asmussen1joel.asmussen1 Free Trial Member
    edited October 2017 4 karma

Checking in! I'm currently using PowerScore's 4-month self study plan, about 3 weeks along at this point (Building in 2 weeks or so of headroom for extra practice tests and flexibility). I scored a 161 on the cold diagnostic and would like to hit at least a 170/171, which I think is reasonable for the amount of time. I work full time as an accountant 45 hours a week, but I've found consistently putting in 2-3 hours a day, and maybe 3-4 on Saturday/Sunday, has been a sustainable schedule. For me personally, I'm looking forward to crushing it the next few months and hopefully be able to breathe a sigh of relief after February, providing tons of time to piece together the perfect application over spring/summer and still apply very early when the 2018-2019 cycle opens. Good luck everyone and looking forward to chatting/following the forum!

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    553 karma

Never too early. And you want to start soon enough where you can take your time and not cram And be a littleee casual about it.

• CurlyQQQCurlyQQQ Alum Member
    295 karma

@"joel.asmussen1" Love it! Keep us posted, Powerscore is definitely a game changer coupled with 7sage, I hope it brings success to us all!!! @Kewlaidd First off your username is awesome and secondly I completely agree. I'm taking my time and gaining skills as I go along.