Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do you want to be a lawyer?

tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
in General 3679 karma

Sometimes I have to take a breath and remind myself of why all this studying, hours, tears and heartburn is worth it. For me, the drive comes from envisioning myself helping employers and their employees stay aligned with the proper Labor and employment laws (a passion of mine) and having a lucrative career that can take care of my family for generations. What is your motivation for studying? Why do you want to be a lawyer?

«13

Comments

  • Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

    I've always dreamed of having a solid excuse for becoming an alcoholic, and this career path lines up with that dream nicely.

    On topic, you are honestly the first person I've ever met with any sort of drive or passion for labor laws haha, I imagine you will be fairly successful since you have that going for you!

  • LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

    Contract law. I want everything to do with contract law if I can.

    And because many people have told me I couldn't do it...sooooo here I am!

  • tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

    @Mellow_Z said:
    I've always dreamed of having a solid excuse for becoming an alcoholic, and this career path lines up with that dream nicely.

    On topic, you are honestly the first person I've ever met with any sort of drive or passion for labor laws haha, I imagine you will be fairly successful since you have that going for you!

    Haha! regarding your first statement I feel like there are many easier ways to justify becoming an alcoholic as opposed to studying for the LSAT but hey do you lol

    Second, IKR ... I'm definitely a unicorn. But working in HR for 6 years and seeing shitty employers treat their employees like shit will definitely do that to you :-P

  • tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    edited September 2017 3679 karma

    @LSATcantwin said:
    Contract law. I want everything to do with contract law if I can.

    And because many people have told me I couldn't do it...sooooo here I am!

    Oh my gosh don't you just envision getting that diploma and dropping the mic on all those haters! I had a 'friend' who actually laughed in my face when I told her I wanted to be a lawyer. This ones for you kid.... * raises glass *

  • vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    1084 karma

    Well, I'm very interested employment law as well, so you aren't alone :)

    I think the future of work and how it is going to change in the coming decades with the rise of A.I and shifting ideas about work is a fascinating area. I also think employment law is one of those really under-recognized areas where you can do a lot of good and make a good income.

    I have interest in environmental law as well and it is a growing field as well with a lot of interesting areas

  • Freddy_DFreddy_D Monthly Member
    2978 karma

    Impact litigation for me. Working for the NAACP LDF would be an ideal outcome.

  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited September 2017 23929 karma

    I don't know that I really "want" to be a lawyer. I would probably prefer a career in finance, but for many reasons that's not practical for me. I think becoming a lawyer is a practical occupation that matches my skills well. I think it will also put me in the position to make good money while opening up more opportunities for what I want to do in the future. For me, it's about practicality, opportunity, and a chance to make some money. If I don't end up securing a big law position, I'll probably leave the profession and do something else entirely. #biglawlorbust

    :mrgreen:

    My motivation for studying for the LSAT, like studying anything for me, is inherent. I just enjoy the challenge. Even if I don't end up going to law school, I'll still feel like this test has helped me think more critically. Plus, I've met some of the most awesome, kindhearted people here on 7Sage. This community motivates me so much <3

  • gloriaurbina7gloriaurbina7 Alum Member
    77 karma

    @Mellow_Z said:
    I've always dreamed of having a solid excuse for becoming an alcoholic, and this career path lines up with that dream nicely.

    On topic, you are honestly the first person I've ever met with any sort of drive or passion for labor laws haha, I imagine you will be fairly successful since you have that going for you!

    Hahahahaha. This made my night

  • sakox010sakox010 Member
    333 karma

    @"vanessa fisher" said:
    Well, I'm very interested employment law as well, so you aren't alone :)

    I think the future of work and how it is going to change in the coming decades with the rise of A.I and shifting ideas about work is a fascinating area. I also think employment law is one of those really under-recognized areas where you can do a lot of good and make a good income.

    I have interest in environmental law as well and it is a growing field as well with a lot of interesting areas

    Interesting, I've spoken with 4 attorneys/summer associates that are in labor and employment practice groups and they all mentioned that one of the biggest factors was that the some of the stories they hear of what bosses do to their employees are crazy/hilarious.

  • ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    edited September 2017 1184 karma

    Thought I wanted to work in corporate law but fell in love with criminal prosecution working at the court house. I believe DAs really impact the future of the criminal justice system and criminal justice reform . Hopefully one day I will be the likeable version of Angela from Power working on the high profile cases for the US Attorney's Office lol.

  • tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

    @"vanessa fisher" said:
    Well, I'm very interested employment law as well, so you aren't alone :)

    I think the future of work and how it is going to change in the coming decades with the rise of A.I and shifting ideas about work is a fascinating area. I also think employment law is one of those really under-recognized areas where you can do a lot of good and make a good income.

    I have interest in environmental law as well and it is a growing field as well with a lot of interesting areas

    yay! another employment law nerd! :smile:

  • tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

    @Freddy_D said:
    Impact litigation for me. Working for the NAACP LDF would be an ideal outcome.

    I've never even heard of impact litigation! ... tell me more :smile:

  • tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

    @sakox010 said:

    @"vanessa fisher" said:
    Well, I'm very interested employment law as well, so you aren't alone :)

    I think the future of work and how it is going to change in the coming decades with the rise of A.I and shifting ideas about work is a fascinating area. I also think employment law is one of those really under-recognized areas where you can do a lot of good and make a good income.

    I have interest in environmental law as well and it is a growing field as well with a lot of interesting areas

    Interesting, I've spoken with 4 attorneys/summer associates that are in labor and employment practice groups and they all mentioned that one of the biggest factors was that the some of the stories they hear of what bosses do to their employees are crazy/hilarious.

    EXACTLY! You'd be surprised at how some managers/employers treat their employees. It's so sad. And if employees knew the rights they had, they could fight it. :(

  • ez92soundefez92soundef Alum Member
    edited September 2017 8 karma

    I want to be a immigration attorney. I want to be regarded as one of the best. Motivation comes from growing up undocumented and seeing the how much better the system could be for immigrants.

  • vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    1084 karma

    @tringo335
    Yes and over the next few decades work contracts will be changing a lot, which will leave even more holes in workers knowledge of their rights. I think it's a fascinating field

  • tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

    @ez92soundef said:
    I want to be a immigration attorney. I want to be regarded as one of the best. Motivation comes from growing up undocumented and seeing the how much better the system could be for immigrants.

    VERY cool

  • Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

    I came into college wanting to be a doctor. However, within my first year at university I was exposed to so many problems in the world that I personally had never been exposed to before - namely inequality (whether that be economic, social, etc.).

    I decided I wanted to go into law because I want to get involved in government and public-policy work to see if I couldn't help remedy some of those inequities. Law school felt like the reasonable next step after undergrad towards that goal :)

  • sophie74sophie74 Member
    373 karma

    So true and so helpful to take a step back to remember why we are all spending hours, days, months, in some cases years studying for this exam. My motivation comes from working in a field where I read about/write about the experience of juveniles in the justice system daily and wanting to be a part of changing the way the system works. I study because I know I need a chance at getting a scholarship if I'm going to make this dream work and not be buried under debt that I can't repay.

  • StellaBlueStellaBlue Alum Member
    185 karma

    @ez92soundef My goal as well, friend. It feels extra prescient right now.

    I've always been interested in the law because details are very important to me, and I love research. I grew up with this indelible sense of fairness, and I'm especially interested in helping people secure their right to vote!

    I can't wait to see how successful everyone becomes! 7sage has really helped me to understand that success is in the eye of the beholder. Good luck to everyone writing on Saturday!

  • Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    edited September 2017 1091 karma

    @"Alex Divine" said:
    I don't know that I really "want" to be a lawyer. I would probably prefer a career in finance, but for many reasons that's not practical for me. I think becoming a lawyer is a practical occupation that matches my skills well. I think it will also put me in the position to make good money while opening up more opportunities for what I want to do in the future. For me, it's about practicality, opportunity, and a chance to make some money. If I don't end up securing a big law position, I'll probably leave the profession and do something else entirely. #biglawlorbust

    I couldn't have put it better myself. My reasoning is much the same.

  • lsatjourneylsatjourney Alum Member
    207 karma

    I decided at a young age to become an immigration lawyer. Seeing my father until this day yearning for legal status has driven me to help undocumented people as much as possible. We have spent thousands, been ripped off by attorneys, and have been through so much heartache that if he does not obtain legal status by the time I graduate law school, I'm going to represent him myself.

  • TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

    I don't, I just love torturing myself with the LSAT

    jk

    not kidding

    nah, I'm kidding

    or am i

  • rakinalikhanrakinalikhan Alum Member
    329 karma

    aside from the financial incentive of hopefully earning a stable paycheck and the prestiege. what i enjoy most about the law is that you can take the same facts/rules and argue for different sides. being able to understand and apply nuances is something i find to be very attracting intellectually. on a more personal note i think its also because of my own desires to make something of my life. my parents and i came from Bangladesh to Canada in 1996 in hopes of a better life and give me opportunities to become something. i want to take advantages of the opportunities afforded to me.

  • TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Legacy Member
    1723 karma

    For me I have a passion for the Constitution and business (not sure entirely where I'll end up). Being able to make a true impact in the community, across the country or in a major company is something I've always wanted to be able to do and I feel like law gives me the ability and opportunity to do that.

  • btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    edited September 2017 1207 karma

    @tringo335 and @"vanessa fisher" I'm interested in employment law too! I think my interest in psychology ties well into it. The employment lawyers I've seen seem to be happy with their jobs too. So that's always a plus!! 

  • leslieh327leslieh327 Alum Member
    130 karma

    Lack of home ownership keeps minorities poorer than whites and is a significant contribution to the racial issues that persist in America. I will learn the dynamics of the housing industry and find ways to implement laws that will level the playing field across the nation in regard to racism and discrimination in the housing industry. I plan to continue my work as a public servant and one day serve my country as the United States Secretary of Housing and Urban Development as I am one hundred percent committed to seeing a positive change in the housing industry in America!

  • LSAT Warrior PrincessLSAT Warrior Princess Legacy Member
    702 karma

    The funniest answer I have heard to this question is, "I want to be a lawyer, because it's the quickest way to power".

  • ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    1184 karma

    @tringo335 said:

    @sakox010 said:

    @"vanessa fisher" said:
    Well, I'm very interested employment law as well, so you aren't alone :)

    I think the future of work and how it is going to change in the coming decades with the rise of A.I and shifting ideas about work is a fascinating area. I also think employment law is one of those really under-recognized areas where you can do a lot of good and make a good income.

    I have interest in environmental law as well and it is a growing field as well with a lot of interesting areas

    Interesting, I've spoken with 4 attorneys/summer associates that are in labor and employment practice groups and they all mentioned that one of the biggest factors was that the some of the stories they hear of what bosses do to their employees are crazy/hilarious.

    EXACTLY! You'd be surprised at how some managers/employers treat their employees. It's so sad. And if employees knew the rights they had, they could fight it. :(

    From someone who has been worked so hard they have sustained a bad injury, I could attest to this. We really need employment lawyers. Employers are so thirsty for power and forget who helps them keep it sigh.

  • tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

    @"vanessa fisher" said:
    @tringo335
    Yes and over the next few decades work contracts will be changing a lot, which will leave even more holes in workers knowledge of their rights. I think it's a fascinating field

    Fascinating is exactly the word to describe it. I can't wait to dig into all those law books yum.

  • tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

    I'm in the same boat> @btownsquee said:

    @tringo335 and @"vanessa fisher" I'm interested in employment law too! I think my interest in psychology ties well into it. The employment lawyers I've seen seem to be happy with their jobs too. So that's always a plus!! 

    Yay another Labor Nerd! Happy to hear that they are happy with their jobs.

    @ElleWoods77 said:

    From someone who has been worked so hard they have sustained a bad injury, I could attest to this. We really need employment lawyers. Employers are so thirsty for power and forget who helps them keep it sigh.

    It's so true; you don't realize how much employment lawyers are needed until you, a friend, or family member are in the situation yourself. It's so scary for an employee when their job is in jeopardy and they don't know where to turn.

  • poohbearpoohbear Alum Member
    edited September 2017 496 karma

    Wow! This thread is incredible-- perfect timing since so many of us are taking the test this weekend.

    I've worked a little bit in employment law before and I was definitely surprised at how interesting it was! I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would haha

    As for me, I knew in college that I was interested in law but it wasn't until I volunteered and taught in a maximum security prison (it's definitely not something you can unsee/undo) that I really got interested in prison and drug policy reform. Not sure where I'll end up after law school, but I know eventually one day I want to get back into that kind of work.

  • ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    1184 karma

    @tringo335 said:

    I'm in the same boat> @btownsquee said:

    @tringo335 and @"vanessa fisher" I'm interested in employment law too! I think my interest in psychology ties well into it. The employment lawyers I've seen seem to be happy with their jobs too. So that's always a plus!! 

    Yay another Labor Nerd! Happy to hear that they are happy with their jobs.

    @ElleWoods77 said:

    From someone who has been worked so hard they have sustained a bad injury, I could attest to this. We really need employment lawyers. Employers are so thirsty for power and forget who helps them keep it sigh.

    It's so true; you don't realize how much employment lawyers are needed until you, a friend, or family member are in the situation yourself. It's so scary for an employee when their job is in jeopardy and they don't know where to turn.

    Oh believe me it is so true. They only way I protected my job was to go on FLMA, otherwise my job was giving me a hard time about taking off to go see my doctor. Kudos to 7sagers who want to go into this practice, you will help so many people.

  • NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

    After surveying my life options, I decided that Law, an industry plagued with alcoholism, hyper-competitive work environments, and crippling debt, was the best way to indulge my raging sense of masochism :smile:

  • thinkorswimthinkorswim Alum Member
    428 karma

    I'm interested in taxation law. I've always wanted to open my own holding company and so learning how to maneuver through the litigious nature of these things would surely be beneficial.

  • LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

    In college I become pretty interested in international issues after spending a significant time in France. Then after graduating, I spent two years teaching English in France, soaking up the culture and traveling around Europe, with the thought of law school always in the back of my mind. Now I am doing a grad certificate abroad in a very specific aspect of European international relations, particularly in security issues. Over these past few years I have been trying to figure out what kind of career would allow me to combine my interests in IR and international policy/security with the ability to actually DO something...I love the idea of being a pure academic, just studying theory for the sake of it, but I do also become bogged down with the question of "OK, but what can I actually do with this information, what kind of change could I actually effect" and I think with a law degree, or even a dual American/French law degree I would be set up well to work for a number of international organizations...so the big picture has crystallized, law school seems like the obvious next step.
    Also I love school. And law school seems really appealing to me, I think I am very well-suited for it. And even if all my plans of international grandeur don't work out, still many lucrative jobs to be had.

  • jessicapearsonjessicapearson Alum Member
    edited September 2017 16 karma

    --

  • LSAT Warrior PrincessLSAT Warrior Princess Legacy Member
    702 karma

    @jkatz1488 said:
    After surveying my life options, I decided that Law, an industry plagued with alcoholism, hyper-competitive work environments, and crippling debt, was the best way to indulge my raging sense of masochism :smile:

    ...if there was a thumb's down button. * sigh :neutral:

  • Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

    Loving seeing everyone's answers. :)

    Much like when I was in entering undergrad too, I haven't been able to narrow down precisely what I want to do with law. I have a couple of different passions, and neither of them are particularly lucrative haha. So I'm not sure if I want to go for one or the other, or something a little more practical (in-house counsel?). But law in general, because I think it is a good fit for how my brain works (logical, love to read, very into details, etc) and I need a jump start into the next phase in my career.

    It's something I've dreamt about doing for a while, but never really thought it was possible for me financially or circumstantially. But in the last year or two, I've realized that a lot of those road blocks were psychological more than anything else. I'm the first in my family to graduate college, the only one who moved away into a big city, and it's obviously a massive undertaking. It's taken me a while to realize that law school isn't just for "those other people", but that I could do it too if I threw everything into it. Which is what brings me to 7sage and doing what I can to get a high LSAT. Need those doors opened for some scholarships! Fingers crossed, y'all.

  • Sara_3080Sara_3080 Alum Member
    432 karma

    I'm going to give a really cheesy & overused answer: to impact society in a beneficial way. I grew up marginalized for who I am and I've seen many people within my group and other marginalized groups discriminated against and impacted by racism, homophobia, islamophobia, anti-semitism, etc, and I've generally found my purpose in life through resisting white supremacy. Watching over and over again the amount of police officers getting away with killing innocent black people is not something I can just see and go on about my daily life normally as many people can. I've felt helpless for a long time, watching undocumented families being separated, innocent black people being killed, the infringement on Indigenous people's rights, the travel ban on Muslims, the acceptance of white supremacist and Neo-Nazi ideologies as normal. I don't want to feel helpless anymore, and that's what brought me to law :) I don't care about making a lot of money, not even one bit. Money would be great, but it's not my priority. I know going into civil rights law is unstable and doesn't necessarily mean I can make a super significant impact, but if I can just help on an individual level those dealing with these issues get what they deserve in court, that would be enough for me :) I gotta say, thank you for asking this question! I think it's good for me to remind myself of all this often because lately I've been getting sucked so much into LSAT world that I forget why I'm doing it all. I'm not perfectly law-minded nor do I have an affinity for logic as many people that decide to go into law have (though I enjoy it!), but what I am is very passionate.

  • tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

    @"Leah M B" said:

    It's taken me a while to realize that law school isn't just for "those other people", but that I could do it too if I threw everything into it.

    I can totally relate to this. I spent an entire year convincing myself that I was smart enough to do this... and finally here we are!

  • tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    edited September 2017 3679 karma

    @Sarah_39 said:

    "... but if I can just help on an individual level those dealing with these issues get what they deserve in court, that would be enough for me :) I gotta say, thank you for asking this question! I think it's good for me to remind myself of all this often because lately I've been getting sucked so much into LSAT world that I forget why I'm doing it all. I'm not perfectly law-minded nor do I have an affinity for logic as many people that decide to go into law have (though I enjoy it!), but what I am is very passionate."

    Absolutely love this! I can't wait to see what great things are in store for you!

  • johanna586johanna586 Alum Member
    202 karma

    @poohbear said:
    Wow! This thread is incredible-- perfect timing since so many of us are taking the test this weekend.

    I've worked a little bit in employment law before and I was definitely surprised at how interesting it was! I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would haha

    As for me, I knew in college that I was interested in law but it wasn't until I volunteered and taught in a maximum security prison (it's definitely not something you can unsee/undo) that I really got interested in prison and drug policy reform. Not sure where I'll end up after law school, but I know eventually one day I want to get back into that kind of work.

    I've worked in employment law as a paralegal for about 4.5 years total (first with farmworkers, now general employment, with a focus on immigrant workers who are victims of wage theft and expungements. Criminal records are a barrier to employment, so we try to eliminate those barriers and advocate with employers who won't hire people due to the criminal records. Sounds like this maybe right up your alley!) I'm sick of being a paralegal and want to be able to handle cases on my own. I like what I'm doing, but it can be frustrating not be able to do things because I am not an attorney.

  • tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

    @johanna586 said:

    @poohbear said:
    Wow! This thread is incredible-- perfect timing since so many of us are taking the test this weekend.

    I've worked a little bit in employment law before and I was definitely surprised at how interesting it was! I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would haha

    As for me, I knew in college that I was interested in law but it wasn't until I volunteered and taught in a maximum security prison (it's definitely not something you can unsee/undo) that I really got interested in prison and drug policy reform. Not sure where I'll end up after law school, but I know eventually one day I want to get back into that kind of work.

    I've worked in employment law as a paralegal for about 4.5 years total (first with farmworkers, now general employment, with a focus on immigrant workers who are victims of wage theft and expungements. Criminal records are a barrier to employment, so we try to eliminate those barriers and advocate with employers who won't hire people due to the criminal records. Sounds like this maybe right up your alley!) I'm sick of being a paralegal and want to be able to handle cases on my own. I like what I'm doing, but it can be frustrating not be able to do things because I am not an attorney.

    What a cool job!!

  • OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

    @jkatz1488 said:
    After surveying my life options, I decided that Law, an industry plagued with alcoholism, hyper-competitive work environments, and crippling debt, was the best way to indulge my raging sense of masochism :smile:

    Probably, the most realistic answer.

  • nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

    Its gotta be intellectual property for me.
    Technology is such an interesting animal.
    Maturing and mutating on the daily.
    So much hasnt been written or covered, its guarenteed to keep me on my toes.
    So flippin excited.

  • sillllyxosillllyxo Legacy Member
    edited September 2017 708 karma

    <

  • lizpillizpil Legacy Member
    282 karma

    I have a passion for paying student loans.

    For the reals, I'd really love to be PD and be a force of change against the drug laws. They ruin lives, period. You get popped with a significant drug charge and it's very hard to get your life back. We have to stop criminalizing drug use, IMHO. Sure, we shouldn't sell heroin out of vending machines, but we have to look at this problem differently.

    Or, I might go into healthcare law. I have many years in that industry. I'm keeping my options open. I just always knew I wanted to go to law school even despite the baby attorney's I work with complaints.

  • lizpillizpil Legacy Member
    282 karma

    @johanna586 I like your line of thinking.

  • smartaone2smartaone2 Monthly Member
    500 karma

    @ElleWoods77 said:
    Thought I wanted to work in corporate law but fell in love with criminal prosecution working at the court house. I believe DAs really impact the future of the criminal justice system and criminal justice reform . Hopefully one day I will be the likeable version of Angela from Power working on the high profile cases for the US Attorney's Office lol.

    Ditto @ElleWoods77. I worked for the USAO in Tennessee for a few years as a paralegal in the Civil Division and loved it. However, I am more interested in working in the Criminal Division as a Federal Prosecutor.

  • mzthaidumplingmzthaidumpling Alum Member
    83 karma

    Labor law as well! I'm so excited to see that. I think I'm an activist at heart. If money were the sole motivation I would never get through this. My passion is to help leverage more bargaining power for employees in multinational corporations. I want to help not only on an individual/company level (health care, insurance, compensation, pensions, wage gap, social security) but also change practices by inadvertently changing the structure/practices of American businesses while I'm at it. Think income distribution.

    Corporations promising big pensions to workers in exchange for 20 long years of low-wage pay and then slashing pensions by 60% when retirement comes around just breaks my heart. America is still young so we never know how things will turn out and what the trend will be!

    Not solid on wanting to be a lawyer forever but I know the experience/precision of law will be invaluable for years to come.

Sign In or Register to comment.