Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need feedback on what constitutes unique/strong softs

edited September 2017 in Law School Admissions 54 karma

I am beginning to wonder what kind of impact my extracurricular activities might have on my law school applications next year. (Definitely hoping to apply to HYS, Columbia, NYU and UChicago, plus University of Toronto and Osgoode Hall in Canada).

So far, here's what my profile looks like (for context):

• Major: Computer Science, Minors: Psychology and Classics. 3.75 GPA right now, 3.80-3.85 is definitely on the horizon. I just started 3rd year.
  • I just got started with the LSAT so don't know how that will go yet. I don't mind putting in a year of prep to hit the score I need though (or even 2 years, I'm not in a rush).

Would the following help in compensating for the lack of a prestigious undergrad degree? (I am at one of the lower ranked universities in Canada because I couldn't afford to go anywhere else):

• I did Google's Summer of Code internship.
  • I currently work remotely for a tech company called Zulip (based in California)
  • I've contributed (as a volunteer) to various open source software projects for the last 5 years
  • I worked at an Atlantic Canadian law firm over the summer.
  • I have worked a bunch of odd jobs all throughout school. I worked all throughout school (didn't have a choice). Still do!
  • Participating in my first National Mooting competition in Canada in November

Would really appreciate advice and guidance from former applicants and people in the process of applying to law schools! :)

Thanks!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I think you have some average softs for which the schools you are applying to. Though I'm not that familiar with the importance of softs vis-a-vis Canadian LS admissions.

Any particular advice you are looking for?

• 54 karma

@"Alex Divine": Mainly, is that a good thing that I have average softs? Are any of these softs particularly weak? Assuming I hit my LSAT target score, would the fact that I did not go to a prestigious university have a detrimental impact on my application? How much would these softs help?

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

To me it sounds like you have pretty average softs as well...I don't think they would be detrimental or anything but I also don't think they are going to set you apart as an applicant. With a good LSAT score and GPA, I think you'll be totally fine though. Also you potentially have 2+ years to add more softs to your resume if you are concerned.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited September 2017 23929 karma

@jerryguitarist said:
    @"Alex Divine": Mainly, is that a good thing that I have average softs? Are any of these softs particularly weak? Assuming I hit my LSAT target score, would the fact that I did not go to a prestigious university have a detrimental impact on my application? How much would these softs help?

Nope, they aren't particularly weak at all, it's just the schools you are looking at are generally pretty competitive. Especially at HYS. I'm not sure what your target score is, but I would think a 173+ seems to be the magic number for HYS admissions. If you can spin the softs/work experience into something relevant in your PS, then I think they may be more helpful. These softs or lack of uni prestige won't hurt you, no.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

University prestige is not a big factor at all. Your UG career will largely be boiled down to your GPA. Focus on maxing that out and you should be fine.

• 54 karma

@"Cant Get Right": Ah, that's good to hear because I have been worried about the prestige factor for my University. :) Well, about maximizing my GPA, I hope to graduate with a GPA between 3.8-3.85. I don't think it can be less than 3.8, can definitely be more though!

@"Alex Divine": Well, my target score is 180! But that doesn't stem from over-confidence, its just a psychological thing with me. I like to aim high so that even if I fall short, I'm still doing good (my dad's analogy, aim for the stars, if you fall, try and grab a cloud on your way down, haha). I wouldn't take the test till I am consistently scoring 173+ on PTs. And anything under 173, I would definitely retake. Not sure how realistic these goals are, just got started! I think its fair to say that I am aiming for at least 173, I think if I take a year or two years of consistent prep, nothing is impossible! :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@jerryguitarist said:
    @"Cant Get Right": Ah, that's good to hear because I have been worried about the prestige factor for my University. :) Well, about maximizing my GPA, I hope to graduate with a GPA between 3.8-3.85. I don't think it can be less than 3.8, can definitely be more though!

@"Alex Divine": Well, my target score is 180! But that doesn't stem from over-confidence, its just a psychological thing with me. I like to aim high so that even if I fall short, I'm still doing good (my dad's analogy, aim for the stars, if you fall, try and grab a cloud on your way down, haha). I wouldn't take the test till I am consistently scoring 173+ on PTs. And anything under 173, I would definitely retake. Not sure how realistic these goals are, just got started! I think its fair to say that I am aiming for at least 173, I think if I take a year or two years of consistent prep, nothing is impossible! :)

LOVE your mindset, brother. That's the exact mindset one needs to achieve such an awesome score. I'll tell you what, if you get a 173+ and have a 3.8+ GPA, I bet you almost anything you will gain admission to one of HYS and likely 2 of CCN. You'll get $$$ below that at the rest of the T13.

Keep grinding and if it takes 2 years but ultimately you gain admissions to your dream schools, it will be all worth it.

Best of luck!

• 54 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

LOVE your mindset, brother. That's the exact mindset one needs to achieve such an awesome score. I'll tell you what, if you get a 173+ and have a 3.8+ GPA, I bet you almost anything you will gain admission to one of HYS and likely 2 of CCN. You'll get $$$ below that at the rest of the T13.

Keep grinding and if it takes 2 years but ultimately you gain admissions to your dream schools, it will be all worth it.

Best of luck!

Thanks! :) I look forward to finishing the core curriculum. So far I'm loving 7Sage, the community is amazing! I think I'm gonna upgrade to Ultimate+ fairly soon! I'll definitely be posting updates on the forum as I complete certain milestones. Best of luck to you as well!

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I think you have good softs, but schools will more than likely see them as average.

Focus on having the highest GPA you can, and also focus on destroying the LSAT because getting into a school will for the most part just be based on your GPA and LSAT score.