Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

foolproofing

vanessaogbeidevanessaogbeide Alum Member
in General 32 karma

how many games should it take?

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Indeterminate.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@vanessaogbeide said:
    how many games should it take?

There's no magic number. A good place to start is drilling the LG Bundle (LG sections from PT1-35) available with the Ultimate + package. Or you can just get those games and drill them.

If you're trying to go perfect on games, I don't see any reason not to fool proof every game ever released.

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

It took me about 500 game attempts to start going consistently -0 on PTs. I had to keep practicing to not get rusty. Probably ended up with about 900 game attempts before I took the real thing.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@AllezAllez21 said:
    It took me about 500 game attempts to start going consistently -0 on PTs. I had to keep practicing to not get rusty. Probably ended up with about 900 game attempts before I took the real thing.

Oh crap! That's a lot of games, haha. Did you FP the bundle 1-35 or use newer tests?

1917 karma

I did 1-35 first, then started doing 35+ only after I took that PT timed.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2017 23929 karma

@AllezAllez21 said:
    I did 1-35 first, then started doing 35+ only after I took that PT timed.

Alright sweet! :)

TY!

• vanessaogbeidevanessaogbeide Alum Member
    32 karma

I'm taking the dec. test so I want to be ready by then. I question if fool proofing every single game is the only way to achieve high mastery on the games. I understand the lower level games to a fault. However, timing is my issue. Using the Cambridge packets, I wonder if it will be a more efficient use of my time to only fool proof the hardest games of the section, my assumption being that if I can do those in timed constraints, I should be able to do the lower leveled ones, given that they are easier. I've seen gains in time on the lower leveled ones that I still do, just not as frequently, since I've started focusing my time on the harder games.

1917 karma

So, I think there are probably ways to get to mastery besides fool proofing. But, the magic is in the name. It really is "fool proof." You do so much volume of practice that you get better.

As far as doing easier games, I absolutely encourage you to do them. You need to do all games. Hard games are hard even for the best scorers. When you're doing a real timed test, and there is a hard game, you don't go -0 on the section by getting the hard game done quickly. You do it by doing the other 3 games in 15-20 minutes so you have a ton of time to work on the hard game. So, you need to get really fast at doing easy games, and you do that by practicing the easy games.