Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chances of getting waitlisted at Northwestern?

BumbleJD1624BumbleJD1624 Free Trial Member
edited October 2017 in General 62 karma

So I got my score, and although I'm not sad about it, I'm not jumping for joy. My dream school is Northwestern, and my score is one point below the median. I know this doesn't put me in a great place (GPA is 3.6). I also know that it looks like I'm the perfect example of someone who should retake.

However, I put my heart and soul into this last exam. I was PTing in the 170s (took a proctored June 2017 LSAT as a PT and got a 170). I feel like I would be taking the December test for a chance I get lucky because I don't think I can improve my LSAT capabilities. Also, work will really be ramping up for me in the next couple weeks.

Any advice? My main concern is that I know the earlier you apply, the better your chances, but how much should that factor into your decision?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2017 23929 karma

@BumbleJD1624 said:
    So I got my score, and although I'm not sad about it, I'm not jumping for joy. My dream school is Northwestern, and my score is one point below the median. I know this doesn't put me in a great place (GPA is 3.6). I also know that it looks like I'm the perfect example of someone who should retake.

However, I put my heart and soul into this last exam. I was PTing in the 170s (took a proctored June 2017 LSAT and got a 170). I feel like I would be taking the December test for a chance I get lucky because I don't think I can improve my LSAT capabilities. Also, work will really be ramping up for me in the next couple weeks.

Any advice? My main concern is that I know the earlier you apply, the better your chances, but how much should that factor into your decision?

Sorry to hear you didn't score as high as you would have liked. If your dream school in NU, then do everything you can in your power to increase your chances. If it's your dream, then retake... Isn't it worth it for your dream after all?

As far as applying late, yeah, earlier seems to be better. But a high LSAT score in December/Feb will likely get you into most of the same schools. IIRC, Sage Nicole Hopkins, now a 2L at NU, took a later test (Dec/Feb) and was admitted with a 170. I know it's anecdata, but it shows you that applying later with a higher LSAT score definitely won't prohibit you from achieving your dream.

Luck, officially, accounts for +/- 2.6pts. The rest is up to you.
    http://academic.udayton.edu/thewhitestlawschools/2005twls/chapter2/scorebands.pdf

There is luck involved, as there always is, but the effect of luck is overestimated by the excuse-inclined and mitigated by the successful. Be successful! :)

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

You could try for ED to Northwestern. It's possible that would give you a leg up (and a massive scholarship, which never hurts!). I think if I were you, I might ED at NU and still also register for December. If you're not accepted ED, then you could use a higher December test to still try for regular decision.

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

Wait, you took a proctored exam in June, received a 170, and are still one point below the median for northwestern? I'm missing something... either their median went up, you don't mean official exam by "proctored" exam or something else...

• BumbleJD1624BumbleJD1624 Free Trial Member
    62 karma

@acsimon - sorry for the confusion - I took the June 2017 as a proctored practice test. I took it as a PT about a week before the September LSAT. The conditions were pretty realistic (proctor, room full of people, break after 3 sections). The September LSAT was my real LSAT.

@"Leah M B" - Interesting advice! Just so I'm clear - even if I'm rejected in the ED pool, I could apply again as regular decision?

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

@BumbleJD1624 I know it varies among schools, but I know that at some schools, if they do not accept you ED, they may defer giving you a decision and reevaluate your application along with the rest of the non-ED apps. However I am pretty sure if they outright reject you ED you can't reapply for normal admission that same year.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

I am exactly where you are. I was scoring in 170s as well and underperformed by 6 points, something I hadn't done in months. But, I think you should register and keep studying and let your average PT score be your guide. If you can at least maintain your average even with your hectic work schedule you should take the test in December. This way you give your self another opportunity to score your average. If you do not maintain that PT average, you can always withdraw. But at least this way you give yourself an opportunity to score higher and give your application an edge.

I am not sure about admission and when you should apply. So I hope someone more knowledgable than me can answer that question.

• BumbleJD1624BumbleJD1624 Free Trial Member
    62 karma

Okay - so I think my best bet is apply early to Northwestern, cross my fingers that I'm not outright rejected, and then hopefully be able to submit a higher LSAT score in January.

Does anyone have insight as to my odds of being waitlisted at Northwestern with a 166/3.6 (from a good college), and work experience as a paralegal from a big law firm (top 20). I think I have solid soft factors.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@BumbleJD1624 said:
    Okay - so I think my best bet is apply early to Northwestern, cross my fingers that I'm not outright rejected, and then hopefully be able to submit a higher LSAT score in January.

Does anyone have insight as to my odds of being waitlisted at Northwestern with a 166/3.6 (from a good college), and work experience as a paralegal from a big law firm (top 20). I think I have solid soft factors.

I think you should call the Admissions counselor at the school. I think you should explain the situation and hopefully they can give you some feedback.

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

@BumbleJD1624

Here are some historical results from people with similar stats:
    http://mylsn.info/bkfh0z/

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I believe for most (if not all) schools, if you apply ED and they decide not to accept you for ED specifically, then they usually roll you into the regular decision pool and process it like any other application (and the decision becomes non-binding). I haven't done it myself so there could be exceptions. Might be good to verify the process for ED at NU specifically or talk to someone who has more experience in it! But that is my understanding.