Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm in a Quandary. To Upgrade?

LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
edited October 2017 in Logical Reasoning 589 karma

So we are around 7 weeks out from the December Test. I have the premium package on 7sage and I am wondering if it is worth it at this point to upgrade to Ultimate+. I completed the CC like 5 weeks ago and do return to it frequently.

I am currently missing around 10-13 on LR for both sections. Normally what happens is I go -3/4 on one section and around -7/8 on the other, not sure why but it is pretty consistent. While there is some randomness to the types of questions I'm getting wrong, there are definitely patterns as well. I consistently miss at least a couple SA or NA questions and also seem to struggle with flaw and parallel argument questions. Obviously it affects my test performance as I miss the question, but what's worse is that when I arrive at one of these types of questions on a PT I immediately think "oh no" because I'm worried I'll get it wrong. I then spend far too long on these questions, which sucks because when I BR I realize some of them are actually quite easy (rated around 2 or 3 difficulty stars). So obviously this lack of confidence is affecting me.

I've stopped PTing because it seems ineffective at the moment. I would like to drill LR questions by type. I've looked back to the CC several times at this point to review my trouble areas, so the questions in those problem sets are really familiar to me now. I also obviously have access to the questions I've missed in past PTs (I've taken about 8) and can sort by type using the analytics feature but I would like more.

Does this basically require me to get the Ultimate + ? I now wish I had just gotten it from the beginning, but when I initially began the 7sage curriculum only a month or so before the September test (woooo for underestimating the difficulty of this exam...) I knew I wouldn't have time to complete the ult+ package.

Another thing is that except for the LSAT I sat for in September, I have only taken rather "old" PTs. I know the difference is minimal, but I was also wondering if I should familiarize myself with newer tests, which are available in Ultimate +.

WHY is this post so long, what happened to my ability to be succinct.

TLDR: Is it worth upgrading to Ult+ with only 7 weeks to go mainly for additional LR problem sets?

A Poll!
  1. Should I upgrade?14 votes
    1. Well of course.
      100.00%
    2. No what a foolish idea.
        0.00%

Comments

• btsao650btsao650 Alum Member
    254 karma

Ultimate + certainly makes it far more convenient to get your hands on newer PTs and sort LR questions by type. I use the question bank for drilling all the time and love it. Also, it's vital to expose yourself to the newer PTs before taking the exam. While the differences between old and new PTs are not monumental, they are significant enough to cost you points if they catch you by surprise. If you have the financial means, go for Ultimate+!

However, if paying for Ultimate+ is not financially feasible, there are other ways to drill LR questions. You can always just buy official LSAT preptests in bulk on Amazon, sort LR by question type ahead of time by looking at the stems, and review answer explanations on the Manhattan Forums.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Yes, it is worth it.

Having all of the PTs and drill materials (with explanations) is what I attribute so much of my improvement to. Sure, one can always find explanations other places, but I truly think JY's video explanations are so much better. What could be better than seeing how a Pro solves and thinks about questions in real time?

Your LR score tells me you could certainly benefit from having tons of LR drill materials. Tools like the LR bundles and question bank will be helpful and convenient.

I think 7 weeks is more than enough time to get your money's worth out of the Ult + package.

• Trust But VerifyTrust But Verify Alum Member
    432 karma

Not sure the price difference but there's some drill books out there for around $40. I have the P***rscore (omitted out of respect lol) drill books from PT1-20. But as the brother Alex says, JY explanations are a plus. Wise man once told me "Follow your pockets".

Namaste

• FirstOneFirstOne Core Member
    172 karma

UPGRADE, No Question, YOU'LL thank yourself later!

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

well, the thing about the + package is that you also get an admissions course so I think that's worth it.

also, note that since the + package gives you PTs and practice materials you will need to use them up in 7 weeks and that's a whole lotta hours.

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

I would upgrade. Having all the drilling material and also all the tests is so valuable.

My quick tips for your LR challenges are to just drill by questions type and really spend a ton of time breaking down each question:

• For SA, diagram everything out, the stimulus and the answers. Do this on every question you come across while drilling, including non SA questions. By relentlessly practicing diagramming, I think you will begin to intuitively see the underlying logical structure to these questions

• For NA, practice the negation test as much as you can. Negate every answer choice.

• For flaw, memorize the list of flaws that's in the curriculum, and then drill flaws on massive volume (without compromising the quality of your study). I found that repeated exposure to flaw questions, while knowing what the majority of flaws presented on the exam would be, made me able to quickly identify flaws and also importantly made me able to quickly dismiss wrong answer choices.

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

@AllezAllez21 @"Alex Divine" Yeah I think you guys are probably right. Upgrade it is!

I'm not too worried about likely not being able to do ALL the PTs. And I would be open to compiling my own LRs by type but buying the PTs off Amazon isn't really an option at the moment because international shipping for them seems so expensive. But that would a good idea @btsao650 !

Thanks all for your help.

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

Saw you upgraded, @LindsMitch, so I added on an extra +10 months since you'd be missing out on that. :)

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

@"Dillon A. Wright" said:
    Saw you upgraded, @LindsMitch, so I added on an extra +10 months since you'd be missing out on that. :)

You are the bomb. Seriously 7sage is the best.