Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I wait to apply for Fall 2019?

LSATPrabLSATPrab Alum Member
edited October 2017 in Law School Admissions 76 karma

Hi 7sagers,

So I was initially planning to write my exam in Sept but then I decided to push the exam to Dec. Now that applications are in full force, I am lost. I am finding it difficult to study, hold an executive position on the school's board of directors, applications, and take classes all at the same time. I am nearing the end of my degree and I am not enjoying it at all. I have never been this stressed in my life before, a part of me doesn't want to apply at all this year and simply take a break before law school. But then a bigger part of me feels like I would be wasting a year of my life. If I don't get into Law school in fall 2018, I will have to wait until fall 2019. I don't know what to do...

Break
  1. Should I take a year off?75 votes
    1. yes
      90.67%
    2. no
        9.33%

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Highly recommend taking a year or two off! It'll give you a chance to breathe and evaluate, make sure you know what you want for your next steps, and give you extra time to prepare for the LSAT too.

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

take some time off. but a year is too long. you may go for a vocation to refresh your mind.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I am taking a year off! I think that it'll help me get my best score and write my best essays. I'm going to be done with college in April, but I wasn't ready to have everything done by the deadline I needed to start next year. I just don't want to have any regrets like "I might have gotten into a better school (or not lost my mind) if I just waited".

• Maddie D.Maddie D. Alum Member
    325 karma

I personally would take a year off. I've done editorial work for the past three years since graduating college and honestly, that work gave me a more focused idea of what type of law I'd like to pursue and a better understanding of myself as a person and a professional. I highly recommend waiting! That way you can ensure that you put your best foot forward in your application and on the LSAT. I would obviously keep studying in that time (maybe not as heavily as you are now). Then if all goes according to plan you could fire off your applications the second they're available for the next cycle.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

It sounds like you are so incredibly stressed! I say take a year off. I was SO stressed when I took the Sept exam that I did horrible. Then I thought I would take the Dec exam and I was stressed again. Once I decided to not take the Dec exam, the stress literally faded and I'm glad it did. Taking a year off is not a horrible thing at all. You are young, take care of your school and other commitments. Once that is done then consider studying again.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I recommend at least a year off! Was going to go straight through (graduated in May and would be in LS right now) but decided against it. Was one of the best decisions I've made, I definitely think a break from school is great and it allows me to focus more on the LSAT and other aspects of my application without having to worry about school stuff.

• kventokvento Alum Member
    86 karma

Take the year off! I was in the same predicament last Fall and decided to take the year off. It has worked out for the best and honestly, it sounds like a cliche, but it true does fly by. Besides, its hardly a "year" off; you'll be preparing again for the LSAT and writing essays, etc, so although a calendar year will elapse, you will be working to achieve your goal. You won't just be sitting around wasting time. Stay positive!

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

I, too, thought I'd apply right out of undergrad, but I was also overwhelmed with senior classes and organizational duties. I ultimately knew I wouldn't be able to do LSAT prep very well. Don't be too worried about wasting time -- post grad life moves very quickly, especially when you're studying for the LSAT and preparing application essays. I graduated in May and I can't believe it's already October.

I don't know the statistics off the top of my head, but generally a good percentage of 1Ls take 1+ year(s) off before going to law school.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Don't worry about rushing through. You're young and have plenty of time a year won't kill any plans :)

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

Looks like the vote is in, haha.

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

Take the year!! I don´t think the year would be wasted at all if it meant you will be more successful later on in law school after a break. A year may sound like a long time but it´s really nothing in the grand scheme of life. And you have the opportunity to do something worthwhile with a free year of life, whatever that means to you. Saving up money by working, taking an internship that you normally wouldn´t, doing an interesting program, traveling...there are so many things you could do! Not to mention, better LSAT score.

• LSATPrabLSATPrab Alum Member
    edited October 2017 76 karma

Update: So I've decided to take a chill pill and see where life takes me for the next year lol I've accepted the fact that a break seems like the best option.
    Thank you @"Leah M B" @dennisgerrard @"samantha.ashley92" @"Maddie Distasio" @LCMama2017 @TheMikey @kvento @xtinextine @tringo335 @"Cant Get Right" @LindsMitch and the 41 ppl who voted to take a break. You all knocked some sense into my type A brain and helped me to make one of my most important life decision. This is the best :smile:

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

@dennisgerrard I don't really have a choice since applications are almost due for next year, and I'm not taking the LSAT until February.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

I was in the same position last year! Was in the last year of my undergrad, working, applications, volunteering and studying for the LSAT. Best decision I made was to postpone studying till after I graduated. It's so refreshing to be able to study for LSAT without all that other stress and I am learning so much more than I did last year.

76 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" my friends told me the exact same thing that a year is too long, but at this point I also don't have a choice lol

76 karma

@keets993 It must feel super nice to study without any other obligations, seems like the ideal situation. I agree that sometimes I catch myself passively learning because I feel drained from other work. During my "break", I will definitely look for part time work to save up to pay for law school!

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited October 2017 3652 karma

Good idea working part time. I’m on my year off, have been working full time since the day I graduated. I really feel like a work zombie and it’s been very difficult to find the time and inspiration to write my personal statement.