Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Applications: To wait or not to wait...

Maddie D.Maddie D. Alum Member
in General 325 karma

I'm going to be the 9,000th person to post this thread on 7sage, so I'll cut to the chase. Here are my stats: 3.78 LSAC GPA, 166 LSAT (first take), solid PS, and (what I'm assuming will be) great LoRs since I'm so close to these professors because of all the work I did with them in undergrad that I'd call them friends. I'm 26 and have been out of college for going on four years. My average LSAT score is a 169 and the errors I made on the September test were almost exclusively due to test-day stress and strategic fumbles. It's a bummer that my score is below my personal average, but I am confident that buckling down on procedure and timing (coupled with the comfort of my first score being a good one) can boost my score in December.

So here's the issue. My PS is good, I'm happy with it, and I think it sends an important message about me. The editorial work I do professionally is freelance and the furthest thing from earth-shattering, but the flexibility has made it possible to commit my time to the LSAT for the past year. I have led a pretty ordinary, comfortable life, so that paired with my lackluster work life has made me pretty attached to this statement/terrified of what in the actual hell I'd write about if I had to reapply to my target schools, which are Cornell and Georgetown. Everyone around me is saying "just apply to Cornell and GULC this cycle super early and then reapply if you need to." I could realistically get my applications out by the end of this week (10/20), but again, the thought of writing an entirely new personal statement if I need to reapply is giving me nightmares. My gut is telling me that I should just wait until even earlier next cycle, much as it pains me to do so. Essentially, as most other people who post this sort of thread, I'm probably just looking for validation that waiting is the smarter thing to do here. That said, any and all thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

If you can make almost any part of your application better, waiting is what gets my vote. The value proposition of applying early makes sense, but the advantage of applying with a higher LSAT or better PS will almost certainly be better.

• Maddie D.Maddie D. Alum Member
    325 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    If you can make almost any part of your application better, waiting is what gets my vote. The value proposition of applying early makes sense, but the advantage of applying with a higher LSAT or better PS will almost certainly be better.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. And applying early with an even better set of numbers is best of all! Now, if I start thinking too hard about this GRE situation I might actually just die but that's another can of worms entirely :lol: Thanks for basically validating my reasoning haha

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Haha I like your reasoning the LSAT has served you well. And as far as the GRE goes, don’t worry about it. I can’t wait until this cycle shows that law schools are only using it to get impressive candidates and not people with 3.7s and the equivalents of 160s LSAT scores. No need to worry!

325 karma

@"Alex Divine" totally. I've had the thought that the GRE thing will be geared toward people who have like, Ph.Ds in super complex fields who think, "Lol I am not studying for that stupid LSAT thing. They can bask in my quantum physics glory," or whatever :joy:

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Maddie Distasio" said:
    @"Alex Divine" totally. I've had the thought that the GRE thing will be geared toward people who have like, Ph.Ds in super complex fields who think, "Lol I am not studying for that stupid LSAT thing. They can bask in my quantum physics glory," or whatever :joy:

Haha! For some people that's definitely the case. I just would be very anxious applying anywhere with just a GRE score when it's still so up in the air how schools are going to evaluate applicants.
    LSAT all the way :)

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

From what I've heard, you don't have to entirely change your PS for the new application. You would have to make noticeable edits, but I don't think you would need to throw the whole thing out.

325 karma

@AllezAllez21 said:
    From what I've heard, you don't have to entirely change your PS for the new application. You would have to make noticeable edits, but I don't think you would need to throw the whole thing out.

Yeah I've heard that too, so I'm glad you brought that up.I think my main stumbling block right now is just my LSAT score, so even if I did reapply my reason for doing so would be to come back with a better score. Hm. All of this is so confusing :sweat: In any case, how does everyone feel about applying after december scores are out vs just waiting until early the next cycle? Thanks for your input, folks!

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

I don't think applying in early January is late. Plenty of people who apply then are accepted. Especially if you have a significantly higher score, it's better to apply in January than now. It kind of depends on just how much you end up raising your score, but I definitely wouldn't rule out applying in January.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yeah I was going to say, why not take in December and if it gives you the boost you want, apply then? If it doesn't, then re-take one more time in June or Sept of next year and apply early that cycle. I think if you can bump your score up just a few points, you'd have a good shot applying in early January.

325 karma

That's officially my new plan. I think I can realistically get my score up to at least my average. It's amazing how much less pressure I'm putting on myself studying now that I have a good score under my belt and I think this new mindset will serve me well in the de-stressing department. I'm just going to keep visualizing a 170 haha a girl can dream. Thank you all! (Also, more feedback on personal statements and re-application/this topic in general are totally welcome still)