Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Self employed 6 years, LOR'S?

DatguyM15DatguyM15 Alum Member

I've been self employed for 6 years. I've noticed some schools want LOR's from employers. Should I get them from my old employers. They would willingly write them but im 6 years or more out and seems kind of pointless? Also lol at getting them from professors I'm 15 years out of college. I have a federal judge and several lawyers that have offered to write LORS for me. Will this suffice considering my circumstances?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2017 23929 karma

@DatguyM15 said:
    I've been self employed for 6 years. I've noticed some schools want LOR's from employers. Should I get them from my old employers. They would willingly write them but im 6 years or more out and seems kind of pointless? Also lol at getting them from professors I'm 15 years out of college. I have a federal judge and several lawyers that have offered to write LORS for me. Will this suffice considering my circumstances?

I would opt to track down a couple of good LORs from my former employers. Schools prefer LORs from your old professors or employers.

• Trust But VerifyTrust But Verify Alum Member
    432 karma

Frequent Clients for a self employed person may suffice to for a employee LOR. Good to see this though. And I would consider throwing in a "Diversity" statement speaking on how this makes you unique as an applicant.

Try not to get pigeoned-holed into what you think the school wants. A lot of these words on the websites are subjective. i.e. Diversity is not only race

Namaste.

• DatguyM15DatguyM15 Alum Member
    211 karma

Just read the app requirements for several schools and see that many suggest, including top schools, if you've been out of school for more than several years to "find someone who can speak on your academic potential and ability to perform in the legal profession." It doesnt have to be a prof or employer necessarily.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Since you've been out of school for so long, try to reach out to former employers! If you think the judge or lawyers can write GOOD LORs for you, then go for it.

I say don't worry about the professors LOR though, you're 15 years out and they will understand that. Just focus on past employers or that judge/lawyers giving you great LORs!