Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to list jobs on my resume that all had essentially the same duties?

_oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member

I worked at a law firm as an intern for 2 months, quit for a couple months to work retail and make money, then took on both my part time retail job along with that same internship for 2 months, was hired as a receptionist, then worked there part time as a legal assistant to focus on finishing up school.

My job duties from the beginning as an intern was essentially paralegal duties. The only things that changed as time went on were the types of cases the firm worked on and toward the end I did more attorney billables and case deadlines and my pay went up a bit.

Should I list it like

Law Firm LLP
legal assistant 8/2015 – 8/2016
receptionist 3/2015 – 8/2015
intern 8/2014 - 10/2014, 1/2015 - 3/2015
- short description of job duties. given a paid position in recognition of my good work as an unpaid intern. as job title changed I began working more closely with the attorneys...began working only with two attorneys on a couple cases...later on had a hand in almost every case at the firm with all 15 attorneys...had less admin duties and more paralegal duties...John Smith Esq. personally taught me paralegal duties such as court filings, deadlining cases, formatting pleadings, arranging subpoena services, also received a raise from $/month to $/month

Any other ways to format this?

Comments

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

Do I list some of the high profile cases the firm worked on?

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

Do I list high school internships?

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Hi there,

You should list each position separately with separate job duties. If some over lap that's fine but try to distinguish each. You can include high school internships if they are relevant, if not, Id leave them off.

• jurisprudentjurisprudent Alum Member
    326 karma

I would leave the firm's name, but distinguish each position separately, and note that you were promoted. This upward trajectory not only shows that you not only excelled in your duties, but that you could also commit to working while studying full time.