Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

December LSAT Prep Help!

Sam MartinSam Martin Member
in General 25 karma

Hi everyone!

I am one of those converters from Testmasters to 7sage due to the ridiculously high price to reenroll after the initial LSAT. I scored a 154 on the September LSAT and I am pretty satisfied with that! I am however, trying to score a few points higher for scholarship purposes and to get me into some schools I might not be able to get into with the 154. The goal is 158-160 but I have 1 month to go and I just scored a low 142 on my last PT and feel lost. Does anybody have any advice on what I should do for this last month leading up?

Thank you in advanced!

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

What have you been doing so far? Specifically what material on 7sage have you covered?
    Post your scores for PTs you have taken along with the date and individual section scores. Have you entered your scores into the analytics to see trends/weak areas?

I think it's way too late in the game for you to work through the entire CC. Until you provide more info, I don't think anyone can give you novel advice.

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

Honestly the only solution is to practice your weakness. I think a lot of people avoid their weaknesses as a procrastination measure (not spending as much time on RC seems to be common).

• Sam MartinSam Martin Member
    25 karma

@10000019 said:
    What have you been doing so far? Specifically what material on 7sage have you covered?
    Post your scores for PTs you have taken along with the date and individual section scores. Have you entered your scores into the analytics to see trends/weak areas?

I think it's way too late in the game for you to work through the entire CC. Until you provide more info, I don't think anyone can give you novel advice.

I don't have access to my TestMasters PTs but this recent PT I took I got:
    6/23 correct for logic games
    12/25 correct for LR section one
    12/25 correct for LR section two
    15/27 correct for RC

It just doesn't make sense to me because for the LSAT back in September I went:
    -2 for Logic Games
    15/25 for LR section one
    15/25 for LR section two
    16/27 for RC

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Any chance you made a bubbling error for the LG on the most recent test?
    You're scoring low on RC+LR, so I don't think that 2/3 difference is unbelievable. What killed you on your most recent test was LG. Did you get hung up on a game after completing the first game? If so, you need to work on recognizing when you should skip a game.

Assuming the LG was a fluke or mistake, I think you should be focusing a lot of time on LR. I'm not sure how much test material you have access to as a "Starter", but I would enter my scores into the analytics here and see if there are certain question types you routinely mess up.

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

I definitely agree with the comment above -- use the analytics first and go from there:

https://7sage.com/score-lsat-test/

Refer to the CC for specific LR question types you identified as your weak points. Make sure you have a clear understanding of the basics (how to identify the SA, NA, premises, conclusions, indicators, etc.). With that, you should see some improvement.

Are you able to complete LR sections during the timed tests?

And I know you're short on time, but I would still look at the beginning of the RC curriculum to see how JY approaches the passages.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2017 23929 karma

If your goal is 18 points higher than your last PT, I would HIGHLY recommend postponing until February/until next cycle. I know postponing can seem like a reflexive answer sometimes, but that's usually because it's the right answer. You can absolutely hit your 160 goal if you take the time to really go through the CC and learn games.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    If your goal is 18 points higher than your last PT, I would HIGHLY recommend postponing until February/until next cycle. I know postponing can seem like this is a reflexive answer sometimes, but that's usually because it's the right answer. You can absolutely hit your 160 goal if you take the time to really go through the CC and learn games.

I agree with @"Alex Divine" if you didn't make any bubbling errors on the last PT.

25 karma

@xtinextine said:
    Are you able to complete LR sections during the timed tests?

No I'm typically not able to finish the LR ever. I skip questions I know I'm terrible at like necessary assumption or questions that take a while like parallel method of reasoning.

25 karma

For reading comp I am never able to get to the last passage. That is a HUGE problem I have. Does anyone have any advice for this?

As far as the logic games I think it was just a fluke for this one. I have only taken PT past 2010 and it really threw me off the way it was structured back on this test and I was able to go back do the logic games no problem after taking a break.

• vichinskyvichinsky Live Member
    519 karma

You should try the book LSAT Hacks that along with the course should do the trick.

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

@"Sam Martin" said:
    No I'm typically not able to finish the LR ever. I skip questions I know I'm terrible at like necessary assumption or questions that take a while like parallel method of reasoning.

Knowing when to skip is important! Ideally you should be able to have time to refer back to the Q's you skipped (that's something I personally struggle with). You should make sure to do the CC for SA and NA. Once you understand the indicators and how to diagram LR, those questions will be easier -- including parallel reasoning.

@"Sam Martin" said:
    For reading comp I am never able to get to the last passage. That is a HUGE problem I have. Does anyone have any advice for this?

I know you just got the CC, and RC is tough to improve on, but you should look at the beginning of the CC for RC and learn about the memory method. Do you find yourself annotating the passage too much? Or are you spending too much time trying to remember the complex details as you read? If so, the RC CC with help! I used to go -10 on RC and thanks to the CC, I've gotten it down to -4.

If you're set on sitting for December, at the very least, I think it's important to do some of the CC before taking another PT. If you decide to take another PT, blind review the hell out of it.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited November 2017 1777 karma

It looks like you're pretty aware of your weaknesses. I would go through the question bank and work specifically on those for now. You have to be able to work through them correctly before you can get through them quickly. Aim for mastery first. Good luck!

25 karma

@xtinextine said:
    I know you just got the CC, and RC is tough to improve on, but you should look at the beginning of the CC for RC and learn about the memory method. Do you find yourself annotating the passage too much? Or are you spending too much time trying to remember the complex details as you read? If so, the RC CC with help! I used to go -10 on RC and thanks to the CC, I've gotten it down to -4.

I just went and did the CC for RC and I feel like this is going to help me SO MUCH. I definitely annotate and try to write too many details for my summary. TestMasters taught it completely differently that doesn't help you speed up your reading at all. I feel like this should help and if I'm able to finish RC my score will go up just by being able to finish! Thanks so much.