Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Test Day weird question

ArreYaarArreYaar Member
in General 15 karma

Any thoughts on labelling question stems first and writing it literally next to it eg., principle, weaken etc then reading the stimulus on relevant LR/RC or just a waste of time? THANKS!

Comments

• LsatbreakingnewsLsatbreakingnews Alum Member
    392 karma

I mean if you can't do the question without writing it go for it. I personally wouldn't.

• ArreYaarArreYaar Member
    15 karma

Ha! Thanks

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

I always write NA next Necessary questions to remind myself to negate. It's quick and a habit I've had forever and I always cross the NA out once negated... indont really need it anymore but old habits can be hard to break and it's always been a good check

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Nah don't do that. I feel like if it's for like 1 question type like steph mentioned it may be fine, but if you do it for every question then those seconds will add up. You should be able to maintain in your head which Q type it is while going through the stimulus (assuming you do question stem then stimulus)

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

I'm like @stepharizona. I've been writing NA next to necessary assumption questions, except I also write SA next to sufficient assumption questions. I do this just because in the heat of the moment I may mistake a sufficient assumption for a necessary, or a necessary for a sufficient, and having that mark there just keeps my mind straight. Or rather, the act of writing "NA" or "SA" cues my mind as to what to search for. It also doesn't take long to write.

I don't do it for any other question types though.

• ArreYaarArreYaar Member
    15 karma

Thanks comrade sagers and all the best!!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I tried that early on in PTs and it didn't seem to help me much, but did waste time. Not a lot of net positive for me.

• Paul PedersonPaul Pederson Member
    903 karma

I always do NA and SA, Flaw, and Stren, but not for any others.

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

I draw arrows based on powerscore's classification system. If it's a MSS, I point an arrow down (the stimulus supports just one answer choice); if it's a strengthen, I point an arrow up (the one correct answer choice strengthens the stimulus); etc. It's just a quick way to remind me which direction the support goes.

I also write NA and SA for those questions, again just to help me differentiate between the two. Does it help? Maybe. Does it make me pay attention? Yup. But I don't do anything else

• FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    561 karma

@kimmy_m66 said:
    I draw arrows based on powerscore's classification system. If it's a MSS, I point an arrow down (the stimulus supports just one answer choice); if it's a strengthen, I point an arrow up (the one correct answer choice strengthens the stimulus); etc. It's just a quick way to remind me which direction the support goes.

I also write NA and SA for those questions, again just to help me differentiate between the two. Does it help? Maybe. Does it make me pay attention? Yup. But I don't do anything else

I do both of these exactly as well

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited November 2017 13286 karma

I do it. Typically I’ll mark NA, Flaw, //f, and MSS. I even adopted a technique that @Sami told me about. For “except” questions I now draw a line next to all the AC with a huge “E” so I don’t forget it’s an except. After a long time taking this test it’s all become habit. I finish LR with 5-8min left even doing all this.

I would 100% say it’s preference and to do it in a way that is comfortable for you. Some question types, like SA for me, just seem to not need it. Others I feel it is necessary to do!

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

An alternative that I do is to circle the key phrasing in the question stem. For example, if NA, I circle "required". Or if RRE, I circle "reconcile". Or if flaw, I circle "most vulnerable to criticism".

I also do the arrow thing sometimes. :)

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited November 2017 1777 karma

I'm still in the beginning stages of studying (finishing LR this week), but I write abbreviations next to some of the question stems, like NA and SA. MSS, strengthen, and weaken are typically in the question stems, so I don't find that necessary; I just circle the words. I'm not sure if I will cut out this habit, but I don't like having to hold the information in my mind because it distracts me from what I am reading.