Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestions for the next two weeks

TinaTheLlamaTinaTheLlama Member
edited November 2017 in December 2017 LSAT 91 karma

I've been over 160 for over a month now (highest 164) (BR ~170 and on untimed drills I get -4 to -1 on LR/RC, -0 on LG). Working too much, trying to study part time, improvement has been slow. If I had another year I know I could reach 170, but I just don't want to put this all off. Anyway, I'm registered for the Dec. test to get apps out in January. I have important work and life experience I think will really help my application. For my target schools, I think 163 is my safe zone and anything past that will help me get financial aid (which I really need). I expect to get a boost of urgency and clarity under the final test pressure that will help, but some practice sections recently have got me uneasy.

I did an LG section today where I flipped a W upside down to an M while translating my rules, costing me that whole game and left me with no time for the fourth game. I've been finishing 3 games consistently with a little time to attempt the 4th game, but only one time have I finished all four.

I have tests 76-81, 46-51, and few 20s and 30s PTs untouched.

What should I do?
Drill games like mad and hope for my usual 18-21 on each of the other sections?
I don't want to burn out.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Take the year and go on to score a 170. Having a large scholarship and/or getting into a better school will be worth it.

As far as what to do before the December LSAT, what are you score breakdowns? You listed how you do on BR but I think to get the best advice we need to know your timed score breakdown.

• TinaTheLlamaTinaTheLlama Member
    edited November 2017 91 karma

@"Alex Divine" :

LR: I've just started getting close to finishing all the questions in the sections. I'm answering 23-24 and getting 18-21 (~ -6,-5). BR has been going more quickly.

RC: I can score anywhere from 16 to 22 (-3 to -10) in a RC section. This is where the year would benefit me the most, if not just for the test, for an easier transition to heavy reading loads.

• shd.hartshd.hart Member
    51 karma

I was in a similar situation last February in terms of lifestyle and average score before the LSAT. I spent a week drilling my weaker games after work/dinner a week or two before the exam which gave me a significant boost of skill and confidence. I had that boost of focus that you speak of, but it only kicked in after the first section which luckily was the diagnostic section. Don't count on it, but hope for it. Good luck! and remember, one year is nothing if you need to put it off. Life is long. And you can save a lot of money in one year. 10 months later, I've reached my 170 PT target in time for the December LSAT.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2017 23929 karma

@TinaTheLlama said:
    @"Alex Divine" :

LR: I've just started getting close to finishing all the questions in the sections. I'm answering 23-24 and getting 18-21 (~ -6,-5). BR has been going more quickly.

RC: I can score anywhere from 16 to 22 (-3 to -10) in a RC section. This is where the year would benefit me the most, if not just for the test, for an easier transition to heavy reading loads.

Hmm... Ok. Well, I think your accuracy is pretty good, all things considered!

If you can get better at answering the easier questions more efficiently, you should be able to get to all of the questions (to at least attempt them). It may be a matter of needing some more practice and skills on LR that will result in you getting faster, or it may be that you should skip certain questions, or, likely a combination of the two.

Of course you want to try to give yourself a chance to get every single problem right, but it’s essential to be mindful of the big picture, and to know that your real end goal is not to get the most difficult problems right, but rather to get as many questions in 35 minutes as you can. This can be a hard instinct to develop because we are taught throughout grade school and university that harder questions the require more effort are worth more points.

Going forward: I would start with evaluating your strategy to see where you can improve your timing and skills. Utilize your analytics to see if there are a certain group of question that you're having more trouble with. If you can't find a specific type of question it may be a more amorphous issue. For example, it may be you run into trouble with questions containing complex conditional statements. This could run across several question types. Also, you may want to consider using your smart phone to capture video footage of yourself taking an LR section. I think judging by your score that there is room for improving both your strategy/how you approach the questions, as well as your speed/pace going through the sections. Having an objective look via video can be a very helpful tool to do both of these things.

Good luck!