REMOVED

REISINGJAMESREISINGJAMES Alum Member
edited July 2018 in Law School Admissions 45 karma

REMOVED

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Sure, I've seen a few ads for law schools here and there. I've noticed they are mostly for lower ranked schools, but I've seen an NYU Law add recently. Not sure why you're so contemptuous of those that advertise on FB, haha. :mrgreen:

Opinions: hmm... I don't really think I care too much. Law schools are a business so I suppose it makes sense they are going to advertise.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

They don't bother me, I think FB ads are based on what you've searched though, no? Not that specific school, but just like a law school in general or LS stuff. I'm pretty sure FB does this because every time I look something up I always see a FB ad about it eventually..

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

One of the best things I've ever done in my life was deleting Facebook, so I don't see any Facebook ads ever. Now the E-mails from these schools is another question entirely...

• CocoZhangCocoZhang Alum Member
    476 karma

At least it's law school ad... I am still seeing LSAT prep ads even I'm a 1L now...

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@CocoZhang said:
    At least it's law school ad... I am still seeing LSAT prep ads even I'm a 1L now...

OMG... The horror!

I hope your 1L year is going well Coco! :)

• Mitchell-1Mitchell-1 Member
    756 karma

Ads...? We all know adblock is a thing right? :p

• REISINGJAMESREISINGJAMES Alum Member
    45 karma

I'm just saying!

Education shouldn't be business, in my opinion - why be so blatant about it. If a school's success should be tied to how well its matriculates perform, then... what exactly does advertising throw into the mix other than hook, line, & sinker?

• Mitchell-1Mitchell-1 Member
    756 karma

@REISINGJAMES said:
    I'm just saying!

Education shouldn't be business, in my opinion - why be so blatant about it. If a school's success should be tied to how well its matriculates perform, then... what exactly does advertising throw into the mix other than hook, line, & sinker?

Advertising will help bring in better candidates, better candidates will likely perform better after graduation just because (this is not necessarily true and *'s all over the place, but you get my point), this then reflects to the world that they are a better university and all it cost them was ad money (which is an expense that can be done away with very easily if it proves not to work, whereas an actual change in their system is expensive/not guaranteed/not easily stopped once in motion). Now there is a ton of research on whether or not advertising is actually effective, but it is the prevailing wisdom.

It is not necessarily true that all great candidates know as much about applying or rankings and such as others. I met someone the other day who was just going to go to a local school until enough people yelled at him about his numbers being far too good for that (he worked in a law firm so he was surrounded by people in the know, where not everyone will be so lucky). So advertising to him or people like him might have got his attention.

Now, if you're arguing whether or not the world would be a better place without marketing in general...well outside of a few cases I wouldn't disagree.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@REISINGJAMES said:
    I'm just saying!

Why have you presupposed that education shouldn't be a business? Aren't schools providing a good or service, thus shouldn't they be compensated?

Advertising ensures that interested candidates find out about these schools.

Secondly, much of advertising comes down to simple game theory. If one school, say, NYU is advertising on FB, then Columbia needs to begin advertising on FB, for complex mathematical reasons, in order to compete. This is often why you see both Pepsi and Coke commercials on television even though I don't think there's a person alive with access to cable that aren't familiar with these brands.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@CocoZhang said:

You should report the ad and write to Facebook that you scored 99 percentile!

476 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@CocoZhang said:

OMG... The horror!

I hope your 1L year is going well Coco! :)

:smiley: Yeah, I definitely feel more orientated than my first week of law school! But the reading is always so much... :dizzy:

476 karma

@akistotle said:

@CocoZhang said:

You should report the ad and write to Facebook that you scored 99 percentile!

lol, i wish they offer than option for me :smiley:

• AnthonyScaliaAnthonyScalia Alum Member
    330 karma

It's an interesting phenomenon from a marketing academic perspective. Grad school is generally a high-cognition decision, which is why tactics like anchoring and celebrity endorsements aren't typically used. You'll see that kind of marketing with scum-of-the-earth for-profit "universities" like ITT Tech and Phoenix because they manipulate information asymmetry to pray on people who are desperate or uninformed.

It's interesting that we see it used with NYU, and they're by no means an anomaly. When I was applying for MBA programs, I got a lot of ads for UNC, and their big message was "The MBA Program You Can't Get Into" (which I think is a horribly inefficient and counterproductive rhetoric base but oh well.)

Maybe the schools are just giving it a shot to see what happens? Perhaps they're trying to increase enrollment and don't care about how they accomplish it. Such ads cheapen my perception of the schools if anything, but maybe it all works on a deeper level that isn't particularly apparent.

After all, any school that must say they're a good program is no true good program...

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/603966_1390562504537142_941086795_n.jpg?oh=5519d1f740fc0fcae9bf11af891e0028&oe=5A46CCAD

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

All we post on FB is owned by FB.