Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proposition Questions

TheLSATerTheLSATer Alum Member
edited November 2017 in Logical Reasoning 137 karma

Proposition questions: should I approach these like an inference question or a principle question? I've read different things. Example of this question type is PT 82 section 2 question 14.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited December 2017 1866 karma

I don't believe there's a set way to approach them, since "proposition" can come up in different stems. Proposition itself just means “a statement or assertion that expresses a judgment or opinion.” You can remove the word "proposition" and the meaning/objective task doesn't change.

For example, from the CC:

"The information above provides the most support for which one of the following propositions?" is categorized as an MSS question.
    "The information above provides the most support for which one of the following propositions?" Still sounds like an MSS question.

This is similar to the question stem in PT82.1.14: "Which one of the following propositions is best illustrated by the statements above?"
    "Which one of the following propositions is best illustrated by the statements above?"

Another stem in the CC:

"Which one of the following most accurately describes the role played in the farmer's argument by the proposition that farmers have to use greater and greater amounts of costly insecticides to control insect pests?" This one is an Argument Part question.

You can replace "proposition" with "sentence" here: "Which one of the following most accurately describes the role played in the farmer's argument by the sentence that farmers have to use greater and greater amounts of costly insecticides to control insect pests?"

I just do it based on what I believe the question is asking and don't worry about categorizing stems based on the word "proposition". A "proposition" can appear in both the stimulus or in the ACs.

• TheLSATerTheLSATer Alum Member
    137 karma

Thank you so very much for clearing this up for me!!! This is so unbelievably helpful!

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    1866 karma

@TheLSATer said:
    Thank you so very much for clearing this up for me!!! This is so unbelievably helpful!

No Problem! :smile: