Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

June or Oct LSAT?

pjanderson5pjanderson5 Free Trial Member
edited January 2015 in General 238 karma
Hello all,

I am planing on taking the LSAT for the 3rd and final time. Currently, I'm not sure which test date to sign up for. June is appealing because I can apply the first day apps are open, but I have to study during my final semester of UG and I am jaded with studying during school. I also feel like I will always wonder what I've could've done with those extra 3 months of prep.

Sept/Oct sounds more appealing because I'll have the whole summer to go hard studying and can take it light during this next semester. However, I can't apply as early, but it seems to me there's not much of a difference in admissions decisions/$$$ that early in the cycle.

Any input is appreciated. This also applies to when I'm going to buy the 7sage starter kit, as it only lasts 3 months.

Comments

• AfterthoughtAfterthought Member
    edited January 2015 48 karma
    In a similar boat as you. So i'll just give my opinion...

Since registration deadline for June is around May. What I am doing is studying/reviewing and PTing (once closer to exam date) with the intent of taking it in June. Depending on how I feel about my timed PT avg. around May or earier I will consider taking it in June or deferring to Sept/Oct. Taking it in Sept/Oct is not late imo. Seems like most ED deadlines arent even up til around Nov. 15.

Also, the starter is 3 months, includes full PTs at the end. Ideally you'd want to be solely PTing/reviewing towards the last month or so. Everyone has an individual pace, so you may or may not want to give yourself more than just 3 months. Better safe than sorry. Also, careful with giving yourself a strict 3 month constraint, be flexible as burnout is real. Plus, you'll likely want to end up buying additional PTs. This will get your access extended so don't gotta worry about the 3 month thing really.

Edited: for registration correction
  • turnercmturnercm Alum Member 🍌
    770 karma
    I honestly would lean towards Sept/Oct and focus on school for the final semester, with the occasional lesson or practice test for memory's sake throughout the semester. Sept/Oct is absolutely an acceptable time to take the test for admission next year
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    I vote you don't worry about it... yet. you have plenty of time to figure it out so just keep studying, but really focus on UG... once you're done thats ur GPA and you don't wanna regret what it is. idk what your previous scores were but if they weren't in the 170's keep studying and drilling, theres still most likely something you can still get down better if you scored in/close to the 170s both times and ur PT avgs have been high 170s maybe it was game day stuff and you can be ready earlier. every situation is different and you gotta look at all variables. but either way since you're out a cycle b4 starting LS you have time, don't let it screw up ur GPA
  • pjanderson5pjanderson5 Free Trial Member
    238 karma
    I was PTing in low 160s with the occasional 165-166 and got a 157. I went -1 on games so clearly, I need to improve fundamentals in both LR and RC.

When do you recommend I buy the starter kit? (I basically just want the lessons, as I already have 30 most recent pts plus superprep)
    2654 karma
    okay so your not at a bad spot. I would say when you have the time to study... if you have time to do it get it now... I feel its a little silly to prep and get urself potentially to 170's and then get something to help get things down (yeah it would still help if that were the case) but if you're looking for a way to approach questions and break things down I think it would make sense to get them now to go through so you can have them more down later when your drilling/PTing harder... if you feel you still need it you can upgrade or just extend ur membership (if it helps increase ur score a few $ will be okay to spend imo)
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    I'm in the same boat as well and I very nearly posted a very similar post to this one. I am planning for a retake in June or October as well. It's my second time taking the LSAT. I got a 145 in September 2014 and I have a lot of work to do in fundamentals. Nothing is impossible but with my GPA (around 3.0) I am unlikely T14 material even if I was to get a 175 +. So I am shooting for T20-40. But I know I can do better than 145.

For me, the June or October problem lies in the fact that I work full-time. In June, I would have to take a day off and have less prep time. I used a lot of my PTO already this year from being sick with the flu. In October, I wouldn't have to take the time off and I would have more time. But I'm having similar thoughts as to how it works with the application process. I purchased the 7Sage Starter Course as a Christmas present to myself and have started my prep. But I plan on upgrading to the Ultimate in the coming months. Right now I am planning on registering for June and if I don't feel ready closer to game day reschedule for October. Good Luck with school and the LSAT.
  • justrandomjustrandom Alum Member
    edited January 2015 343 karma
    Great advice from everyone but just FYI in regards to Ginko136 comment, you can register for June already. I am already registered for Monday, June 8th, 2015.
  • danballinger5danballinger5 Alum Member
    198 karma
    Monday?
    2654 karma
    June administration is on a Monday and slightly later in the day
  • pjanderson5pjanderson5 Free Trial Member
    edited January 2015 238 karma
    Yes the June test is on a Monday for some weird reason
  • AfterthoughtAfterthought Member
    48 karma
    @justrandom:
    Ah thank you for the clarification. I mixed up the deadline to register (which is in May) vs actual opening of registration. Whoops
  • justrandomjustrandom Alum Member
    343 karma
    No problem. =)