Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Causation Question Strategy

monica123monica123 Member
edited January 2017 in General 90 karma
Would somebody mind looking at the strategy below and letting me know if it makes sense/I've included everything?

Thanks!

On weakening questions, when the argument posits a causal relationship, answer choice does one of the following:
Conclusion States: A Causes B

1. Provides an alternative cause (no competing cause) (C also Causes B).

2. 3rd competing cause (C causes both A and B)

3. Chronology inconsistent - B happened prior to A/Reversal of Cause and Effect

4. Competing Dataset --> Competing Results

5. Proof the entire occurrence was the result of Coincidence A/B
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Provides an example of the presumed cause without the presumed effect

7. Provides an example of the presumed effect without the presumed cause.
(Examples of weakening through correlation. Correlation can strengthen or weaken an argument, but is not sufficient support for an argument)

On strengthening questions, when the argument posits a causal relationship, answer choice does one of the following:
Conclusion States: A Causes B

1. Block an alternative cause/explanation (no competing cause)

2. Block 3rd competing cause NOT (C causes both A and B)

3. Chronology consistent - A happened prior to B/No reversal

4. Corroborating Dataset --> Corroborating Results

5. Block Coincidence A/B

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    edited January 2017 27823 karma
    This looks fairly comprehensive. It's important to keep an open mind with Strengthen and Weaken questions. They have the potential to be the most subtle types on the entire test, so it can take a little creativity on the really hard ones. But this seems like a great overview. If you missed anything, I can't think of it.
  • The 180 Bro_OVOThe 180 Bro_OVO Alum Inactive ⭐
    1392 karma
    I don't think there are many questions that will be able to get past you with that list.
    Looks to be quite comprehensive.
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited January 2017 10774 karma
    I think the list is great : ) The only thing I would add is something I learned recently - that cause and effect argument can be more complex than simply being able to be always answered with what you have written above. The list is meant to be as comprehensive to answer most LSAT questions, but there are exceptions.
    So when you come across an anomaly lsat question that has cause and effect argument but you have an answer choice that does not fit any of these criteria you have listed above, and trust me you will come across a few of these curve breaker questions, I would definitely take note of them and learn from them for future tests. : )
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8694 karma
    This is an excellent list that I will be bookmarking. Thank you. PT 29 Section 4 Question 24 is illustrative. A very complex weakening question containing causation.