Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trouble Identifying Assumptions

cweyhofencweyhofen Free Trial Member

Hey everyone,

I'm having trouble clearly identifying the assumptions in logical reasoning questions. I understand the difference between necessary vs. sufficient assumptions, overlooked possibilities & mismatched concepts. But, during my timed practices, the assumption is not clicking in my head. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Maybe even a new way of approaching the stimulus?

Comments

• DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma

@cweyhofen said:
    Hey everyone,

I'm having trouble clearly identifying the assumptions in logical reasoning questions. I understand the difference between necessary vs. sufficient assumptions, overlooked possibilities & mismatched concepts. But, during my timed practices, the assumption is not clicking in my head. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Maybe even a new way of approaching the stimulus?

A helpful route if you're not going to go with 7sage's curriculum is LSAT trainer, specifically the chapters on flaws (which really should be called "assumptions"). There's a lot of drilling in those chapters to help you see some very common LSAT assumptions.

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma

Yeah I'll second what Dave said^ definitely review the lessons on assumptions and come up with more examples of what sufficient assumptions and necessary assumptions are. Also yes the Trainer has a ton of examples and drills that you can practice assumptions with

• tjphilbricktjphilbrick Alum Member
    174 karma

I'll add that this kind of thing just takes time. It took me a while before things started to click, and I just had to keep drilling assumption questions with the AC's covered up so that I was forced to think through all the possibilities for assumptions. Keep up the good work, you'll get there!

• Pi031415Pi031415 Alum Member
    248 karma

Wow props peeps. The LSAT trainer flaws section was king!!!