Post-acceptance etiquette?

MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
edited January 2017 in General 2086 karma

This is probably a silly question, but I'm wondering if we're supposed to do anything after receiving our acceptance letters/emails. I've heard from a few schools (sent a quick LOCI to the one that I was waitlisted to...more like an email). However, should I return emails to the schools that I have been admitted to?

Oh, and I got a decent scholarship offer to a T40 school, but no offer from the TT school I was accepted to. I've heard of applicants being offered a scholarship after showing that they received one from other schools. How do applicants go about this?

Comments

• stgl1230stgl1230 Member
    821 karma

I kind of have the same question. It seems polite to send a thank-you, but weird to send a thank-you that's a response to an automated "you're admitted" or scholarship e-mail. Seems like people on TLS say don't do it unless you are sending a thank you directly to an interviewer.

• stgl1230stgl1230 Member
    821 karma

@MrSamIam said:

>

Oh, and I got a decent scholarship offer to a T40 school, but no offer from the TT school I was accepted to. I've heard of applicants being offered a scholarship after showing that they received one from other schools. How do applicants go about this?

Hey congrats on your scholarship. I know that scholarship negotiation is definitely a thing. I think you just tell the school politely, "I'm really interested in your school, but X school gave me X dollars and that's more affordable for me, but if you can match the scholarship blah blah blah" If you are 100% set on attending a school, I'd say something like "I will attend if you match this scholarship." That seems pretty persuasive.

• MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma

@stgl1230 Yeah, I figured as much. Thing is, I'm not sure if they're automated emails...they look more like copy/paste emails.
    I'm assuming no school is going to retract an offer just because an applicant didn't make him or herself seem more interested.

Thanks! I was ecstatic when I got the offer, especially since it would cover half my tuition. That particular school has since sent me 3 more emails - one discussing a program I might be interested in, a congrats on your scholarship offer email, and another congrats on getting in email...all look to be generic copy/paste emails.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

Hey Sam! Yeah, I've had a lot of questions about that too. I feel like I should thank a school that has offered me so much money, but I do kind of assume those emails are automated. Not sure what to do. You going to @david.busis 's webinar tonight? I think he's going to be covering a lot of those issues.

2086 karma

@"Cant Get Right" Hey Josh! Long time no speak, haha.
    That's what I was thinking! It feels rude to just leave them hanging. Yup, I'll likely attend. See ya' there!

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7262 karma

Come to the webinar! Ask at the webinar!

2086 karma

@david.busis That's the plan! Thanks, David!